Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Head gaskets on type 4?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
KaptKaos
From what I have read here and on shoptalk, head gaskets should not be used. See this thread: http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=107147 for the start of the discussion.

I have read that Jake likes to use a copper gasket spray, along with lapped cylinders to create the seal between the head and the cylinders.

Since I am re-torquing my heads (again see post link above) I would like to add this spray gasket step, but I want to make sure I do it correctly and use the right product. Does anyone have some details on this process?

TIA
Cap'n Krusty
So you've picked what you want from the available opinion and commentary, and decided to leave out the gaskets and you want someone to tell you it's OK. Fine. It's OK. Have you determined the shim stack to compensate for the change in overall combustion chamber volume and compression ratio? Have you decked the case so that the cylinders will sit perfectly parallel to the axis of the crankshaft and the mating surfaces of the heads?

The Cap'n
KaptKaos
Cap'n,

I can see you shaking your head. =)

Here is my scenario. I had to take the heads off to fix an exhaust stud that I buggered up. When I took it apart, I took extra care in making sure I kept all of the cylinders, lifters, pushrods, and rockers grouped by cylinder number and position of the lifters.

When I took apart the engine, it had no head gaskets.

The machine work on the heads was minimal; fixed the studs and the exhaust seats.

So my hope is that I can put it back the way that it was.

I understand that I might blow it up. I am learning a heck of alot in the process.

914rat
I just went through a head removal scenario and didn't see any head gaskets either but they were hiding in the heads.Just a thought.Ask whoever did your head work if the gasket rings were inside the head bores.
detoxcowboy
Kaos, I do not know if your going to use gaskets but I have a couple extra sets, if you know your thinkness for your compression your shooting I will measure what I have and they are free just pay shipping, I live close to your L.A. So. Cal. tag..

pm me though or i will forget to check this thread..
Elliot Cannon
You need to listen to Cap'n Krusty. He's been working on these cars for 63 years. Or is it 36 years. I'm not sure... He never says. lol-2.gif
Jake Raby
No, you need to listen to the factory. The VW bulletin that dictates the removal of the head gaskets was written for a reason.

I haven't used a head gasket in 12 years, thats just about 800 engines, some of which produce more power on one cylinder than the entire stock engine made.

In all that time I have had ONE engine come back to me with a cylinder/ head leakage issue and that was due to a super rich mixture that made the cylinders go almost hydraulic.

The proper method is:
1- Ensure the head registers are perfectly square and flat
2- Ensure the cylinder seating surface on the case is decked perfectly flat (if the engine has never had this surface decked and its not a 1.7 case, chances are it id NOT flat and has began to droop)
3- Ensure the seating surface of the cylinder is perfectly square with the cylinder base
4- Ensure the seating surface of the cylinder is perfectly flat (no new cylinder today is out of the box)

After over 30 years these engines have changed. The case registers start to droop, machinist with less than acceptable tolerances have machines the heads and dozens of other variables have entered the picture.

The majority of issues that people have today with head/cylinder leakage stems from components not being square and stress relieving as the engine heat cycles. If the case registers are not square the entire assembly of cylinder/head will not be equally seated and due to this will have issues. This is why these surfaces must be inspected and the proper corrective action taken during the time of engine assembly. Assuming these areas are OK may have been acceptable 36 years ago, but not today.
Cap'n Krusty
I think that's kinda what I said. You can't do just the easy part. The Cap'n
KaptKaos
I guess we'll find out =)

Not that I want to blow it up, but it's not worth the effort on this one.

HOWEVER, I have a 1.8 core that I will be building into something a little more fun and I hope to use what I have learned on this with that.
Jake Raby
It won't blow up.. You simply have the possibilities of wasting a lot of effort. Give something a chance to bite you in the ass and it probably will...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.