Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: newbie electrical questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
djm914-6
I've been very sucessful with using the 914 as a daily driver. I do have a couple of repairs to make though.

First is the licence plate lights. Can someone thell me how to check if they're wired correctly? I'm pretty sure I did something wrong when I replaced the bumper.

Next is the cigar lighter. I'd like to use it for some accessories, but there's no juice. Where should I start looking?

Then theres the gas gauge. 90% of the time its fine, but on occasion the needle goes crazy for a second. Any thoughts?

Lastly, does anyone have a wiring schematic for a /6? Color prefered.

TIA,
ArtechnikA
First is the licence plate lights. Can someone thell me how to check if they're wired correctly? I'm pretty sure I did something wrong when I replaced the bumper.

IIRC, it's really easy to connect the wires to the wrong terminals. one is grounded when you install the light... pull the light and if that alone keeps the fuses intact, swap the wires. that'd from memory, give it a shot. other than that, it's process of elimination with test lamp and continuity meter. (don't you do electrical stuff for a living ?...)

Next is the cigar lighter. I'd like to use it for some accessories, but there's no juice. Where should I start looking?

fuse, ground...

Then theres the gas gauge. 90% of the time its fine, but on occasion the needle goes crazy for a second. Any thoughts?

grounds, crap on the sender wire. i rarely pay attention to the gas gauge and watch the calendar, but i drive a pretty consistent route...

Lastly, does anyone have a wiring schematic for a /6? Color prefered.

The 914.6 wiring diagram thread

i got mine a few weeks ago. worth the $35 IMHO. send the check, a mailing tube appears.
djm914-6
Thanks Rich!

Yes, I do electrical design for a living, but that's no where near electrical trouble shooting. I basically just tell electricians where to place stuff and what size wire to use.

Where's this sender wire you mentioned? I guess I'll pony up for the diagrams once I get paid for the GTI. I plan on spending 1/3 on the 914 and 2/3 on Amy's new Van. I'll be taking the CSOB route as far as possable.
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(djm914-6 @ Apr 5 2004, 08:48 AM)
Where's this sender wire you mentioned?

big round access-port thing on top of the fuel tank
plug-in connector has contacts for the gauge and the light.
pull that and squirt in some contact cleaner - it couldn't hurt, and you might get lucky. you might wind up pulling the sender (a few cheesehead screws, IIRC) and cleaning the sender wire with a cloth in case there's gunk on it - gives you a good view of the inside of the tank too. be careful with the gaskets, i think they're NLA, but they're not magic, FLAPS gasket material in bulk and an X-Acto knife will have you something functional if needed.

BTW - i sent our Hershey space check off to CPR this weekend...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.