Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: No juice, no start
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kpfoten

I have a '73 914 1.7 with dual carbs and fuel pump rigged to the relay board per previous posts. I had just put the carbs in and had it running and driving. AWEsoME!!

Well, shortly thereafter, I was turning the key to start, and it was turning over. THen, I turned the key again and nothing. Completely dead. No starter solenoid click or anything. NOTE: This happened once before when I had the D-Jet on, but somehow it started thereafter.

Anyway, I know the battery is good, and I am getting 12v to the ignition switch, solenoid, and two reds at the relay board and to the main power relay. I continuity tested the ignition switch and things seem fine.

Would I have a bad ground? I can pull my hazard switch and I hear a sick sounding buzz but no lights. I know the battery ground is good, along with the braided ground from engine to body. Where else can I check? I don't think the relays are bad--I've switched them around and no difference.

Confusing!
kpfoten

Also of note--I hear a dull tick somewhere around the fuse panel when I turn the key. That's about it.
tradisrad
the ignition switches are prone to cracking and failing. so you have 12v into the switch do you have 12v out of he switch?
kpfoten

That's a good question--I didn't check that. I just checked continuity--where is a good place to check voltage out of the ignition sw?
kpfoten
Cracked ignition switch. BEYOND cracked. Ugh. Sorry to take up the bandwidth--hopefully this will help someone else someday... Took the set screw out and pulled the switch out--nasty crack!
dr914@autoatlanta.com
sounds like an almost dead battery. The battery could be shorted or the alternator overcharging the battery. I would jump the car and then check the charge rate. If over 14 volts you need to address immediately as the battery is probably overflowing acid

QUOTE(kpfoten @ May 18 2010, 07:24 PM) *

I have a '73 914 1.7 with dual carbs and fuel pump rigged to the relay board per previous posts. I had just put the carbs in and had it running and driving. AWEsoME!!

Well, shortly thereafter, I was turning the key to start, and it was turning over. THen, I turned the key again and nothing. Completely dead. No starter solenoid click or anything. NOTE: This happened once before when I had the D-Jet on, but somehow it started thereafter.

Anyway, I know the battery is good, and I am getting 12v to the ignition switch, solenoid, and two reds at the relay board and to the main power relay. I continuity tested the ignition switch and things seem fine.

Would I have a bad ground? I can pull my hazard switch and I hear a sick sounding buzz but no lights. I know the battery ground is good, along with the braided ground from engine to body. Where else can I check? I don't think the relays are bad--I've switched them around and no difference.

Confusing!

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.