Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to ship an engine?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jasons
I have a 6 longblock I want to sell. How should I expect to ship it?
campbellcj
Build a wooden crate based on a pallet, and strap the engine down WELL inside.

I'm not up on the best freight carriers these days, but there are a number of choices around. Forward Air is one that I used many years ago with good results.
jasons
Strapping it down is one of the things I'm curious about. At my old work we had those bands you could tighten down and then lock with steel tabs. Unfortunately, thats my old work. I was thinking of just using some ratchet straps from harbor freight or something.

So you think the whole thing should be crated?
detoxcowboy
second on foward air.. i had a tranny/engine/tin and various other components shipped from Illinios to So. California..$500
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 18 2010, 10:10 PM) *

second on foward air.. i had a tranny/engine/tin and various other components shipped from Illinios to So. California..$500

It all was in boxes except for the tranny and exhaust whihc were placed inbetween the boxes and everything was heavily plastic wrapped to a palate/..
sgetsiv
http://engineshipping.com/

great service and cheap prices.
ellisor3
QUOTE(jasons @ May 19 2010, 12:53 AM) *

I was thinking of just using some ratchet straps from harbor freight or something.

agree.gif

I just shipped one two months ago, and that is exactly what I used. $4.00.
puff adder
I've used Forward Air, good prices and fast shipping.
IronHillRestorations
Build a full covered crate on a pallet. I'd even put presswood or plywood on the bottom of it, don't just rely on the top of the pallet, unless it's a big heavy oak pallet with heavy slats.

You might be able to scrounge some plastic banding with the metal clips (that work like a pair of D rings) that doesn't require a special tool.

You can also try freightquote.com
computers4kids
Cost about $10 to build a crate on a hard wood pallet. HF straps would work.
IPB Image
realred914
QUOTE(jasons @ May 18 2010, 09:19 PM) *

I have a 6 longblock I want to sell. How should I expect to ship it?

engines dont float, cant make a ship out of one. try something made of wood.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.