Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Tumbler Door/Trunk Lock Seals - Anyone make them?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Woodside914
That thin & fragile rubber Seal located on the tumbler for door & trunk locks.
Does anyone have access to OEM new/used or Aftermarket replacement seals?

Mine are shot, and I need some ASAP to put my doors back together.

If I recall, there was someone here a few years ago that was making these as replacement parts....Anyone know who that was?

Thanks for any info you can share.

-Ken
dr914@autoatlanta.com
mark or I could make them easily but have not had much call for them. Usually when someone is that picky, they buy new expensive as H**l door lock tumblers (about 95 each!!!)

QUOTE(Woodside914 @ May 19 2010, 10:59 AM) *

If I recall, there was someone here a few years ago that was making these as replacement parts....Anyone know who that was?

-Ken

markb
I get mine from the VW dealer. They're just a tad bigger around, but fit OK. I'd buy some if somebody makes repro's.
Mikey914
First, how much are the VW ones, if they're close enough, and reasonable. That seems like an easy way to go. But, if they're a bit spendy, and or fit poorly, they can be made. If you have a picture of the old one post it. I can't see it being too expensive of a seal.
realred914
QUOTE(Woodside914 @ May 19 2010, 10:59 AM) *

-Ken

Hi, Your in Woodside, so get to know Rcih at High Performance House in Redwood city, 650 364-6234. He has just about everything new or used for the 914 instock. really a great place for parts and, info repairs too.
Woodside914
Thanks realred914, actually I have known Rich since 1981 (when he was a skinny guy...lol), and his best mechanic, Larry is the bass player in my band smile.gif

I spoke to Rich earlier today, but he's outta any extra new or used seals, unless I want to buy a complete new door lock assembly for about $300 bucks....

Amazing how tuff these are to find anywhere, and there's no OEM's out there, either sad.gif

Another MFG DISC part from Porsche to add to the growing list...

However I did just locate (the last) 2 good used seals from Al @ Parts Heaven, so I can finally get my doors re-assembled. Still working on the trunk tumbler, though.

And, I haven't even diss-assembled the glove box lock & front trunk locks yet, so lord knows what they look like. Untouched since 1971!

George - thanks for the info....I'm not necessarily 'picky', it's just that my understanding is you need the seals in there to keep the tumblers seated & straight, otherwise the keylock tumblers may get angled & boogered up....

Cheers,
Ken
Tom_T
QUOTE(Mikey914 @ May 19 2010, 01:02 PM) *

First, how much are the VW ones, if they're close enough, and reasonable. That seems like an easy way to go. But, if they're a bit spendy, and or fit poorly, they can be made. If you have a picture of the old one post it. I can't see it being too expensive of a seal.

Post a pic for Mikey914/Mark, & MarkB advise him on size/fit difference, cuz it sounds like he can make them easy enough for a reasonable repro price.

Mikey914 - I'd get the 3 or whatever required to redo any/all of my lock tumblers that use them! biggrin.gif
Mikey914
I think these would not be too dificult to do, if they are what I think they are. But i really don't want to dissasemble my lock to see.

Thanks
Woodside914
Let me put it in reverse for a moment - This all started last weekend when I finally decided to do something about the real Sticky door locks....they were getting to the point where the key would not even turn, making it difficult to unlock the doors, and I didn't want to end up breaking the original key.

Although I have had my '71 since 1980, lately it's been in garage storage for the past 6-8 months, only driven maybe once a month.

Anyway, last weekend I removed both door panels to access the outer door handles. Upon removal of the door handles, I then removed the tumblers (with key inserted) and watched as the original seals fell out in dusty pieces...

I resolved the sticky tumbler problem by cleaning them real good with ChemTool, wiping down well, and then applying some bearing grease throughout, and worked it back & forth with the key - seemed to do the trick real well.

But, those dang Seals - no longer made, and seems like no where to be found unless you scour the junk yards for half-baked used examples. It is my understanding they are always needed in the lock assembly, or you'll foul up the tumbler operation with out it....

Now I gotta work on the glove box lock & the front trunk lock - both are frozen from no use since 1971! I hope those seals aren't trashed.

Have you guys even looked at your locks lately?

BTW - I'm a newbie here, just joined yesterday, so Hello & Cheers!

-Ken
SUNAB914
I know what your talking about. I just took a door handle apart yesterday to rebuild it and that same seal was busted up. I think a little flowable clear sealant would do the trick.
Tom_T
QUOTE(Woodside914 @ May 20 2010, 10:31 AM) *

Let me put it in reverse for a moment - This all started last weekend when I finally decided to do something about the real Sticky door locks....they were getting to the point where the key would not even turn, making it difficult to unlock the doors, and I didn't want to end up breaking the original key.

Although I have had my '71 since 1980, lately it's been in garage storage for the past 6-8 months, only driven maybe once a month.

Anyway, last weekend I removed both door panels to access the outer door handles. Upon removal of the door handles, I then removed the tumblers (with key inserted) and watched as the original seals fell out in dusty pieces...

I resolved the sticky tumbler problem by cleaning them real good with ChemTool, wiping down well, and then applying some bearing grease throughout, and worked it back & forth with the key - seemed to do the trick real well.

But, those dang Seals - no longer made, and seems like no where to be found unless you scour the junk yards for half-baked used examples. It is my understanding they are always needed in the lock assembly, or you'll foul up the tumbler operation with out it....

Now I gotta work on the glove box lock & the front trunk lock - both are frozen from no use since 1971! I hope those seals aren't trashed.

Have you guys even looked at your locks lately?

BTW - I'm a newbie here, just joined yesterday, so Hello & Cheers!

-Ken

A belated welcome.png

I think that getting Mark at Mikey914 to make repro ones is the way to go.

So somebody needs to step forward & send him a sample intact as his pattern from which to make up new ones (I don't have my stuff apart at this point to do so).
... Anyone???? confused24.gif

Aside from proper operation of the locks' tumblers, rubber seals are also usually put there to prevent moisture infiltration ..... so with 914's - need I say more?

IIRC - those seals are O-ring type with a specific thickness in cross-section to fill the seal space snugly, therefore I don't think that a flowable seal material of any type will fully resolve neither the fitment nor moisture barrier functions properly, but would rather only "fill the groove" on the tumbler.

Can someone plz get a seal to Mikey914 - several if they differ on the doors, front & rear trunks & glove box?
SirAndy
QUOTE(markb @ May 19 2010, 12:17 PM) *

I'd buy some if somebody makes repro's.

agree.gif

99% of the ones i have seen are broken and cracked. I wouldn't mind getting a full set of new ones for my car, if they become available ...

bye1.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.