Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Nevada smog req
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
In Washington, my 914 was exempt. I miss that!

Now in Nevada, everything newer than 1966 has to pass smog every year! What a pain. This definitely impacts my next purchase.

Apparently getting it registered as a historic vehicle lessens the requirements though. John/Vegasracer, I think I saw you have historic plates? Do you have to deal with annual checks?
realred914
I'd consider a 356. all models pre 66!!!!! hop up the motor and it can be fun too, very light car. but it wont ever have the handling potential of the 914 ( A 550 comes to mind, how deep your pocket???)

hey in california they were going to roll back the smog year until some envirowacko lib from Mt. View ont eh state legislature got her pet smog law passed and doned all post 75 cars to smog testing complete with increasinly stricter smog levels, tests never meant to be run on such old cars, and expensive dyno testing (with mutli $10,000 of state mandated equipment required to be purchased by each smog station) it is an expnsive and burocratic mess here too. only bright side for NOW is most 914 modles are test exempt. However EVERY year NEW SMOG LEGISLATION IS PROPOSED to put our older 914's back into a very strict and expensie / wasteful smog test program.

Stay aware of proposed smog law issues in your State by going to the SEMA website.

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?ID=/...SANcom/HomePage

You can read about new laws and how to contact your state representative to vote NO on thatkind of law.

VegasRacer
Hey Rand - I have classic (not historic) plates on Elvira. If you get them you only have to pass smog once, and then drive less than 2500 miles per year. Needless to say, I always exceed that limit. If you do stay under the mileage, you just need to get an odometer check at DMV every year.
rick 918-S
Simple, Two odometers.
realred914
that is illegal I would not advertise that here. bad bad bad. it is aginst the law to tamper with the odometer, specially if yoru are doing it to fake out the DMV for registration/smog reasons. very dumb to post that here. very very dumb. confused24.gif confused24.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif
Rand
Thanks John. Less worried now. Dealing with it every year would be a pain, but tweaking things to pass once would be worth it. Then re-tune for performance and never look back! aktion035.gif
I learned they don't do visual inspections for cars that old, so dual carbs wouldn't be a problem.

(What's up with the speedo cable? It seems to fall off ever 2499 miles? poke.gif )
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(Rand @ May 19 2010, 02:09 PM) *

Now in Nevada, everything newer than 1966 has to pass smog every year! What a pain. This definitely impacts my next purchase.

When I lived in NV, Douglas County was exempt - IIRC, only Washoe and Clark required annual testing.

Has that changed, or should you move to Minden ?
Rand
idea.gif I haven't looked at the requirements outside of Washoe County yet.
mipstien
i like that web page. brought to my attention about something they are tryin to pass in tennessee to work to our advantage

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62523

would be great if it passed. although would probably affect insurance on old cars a lot.
realred914
QUOTE(mipstien @ May 20 2010, 10:49 AM) *

i like that web page. brought to my attention about something they are tryin to pass in tennessee to work to our advantage

http://www.semasan.com/main/main.aspx?id=62523

would be great if it passed. although would probably affect insurance on old cars a lot.

seems like a very good bill to me. you should still be able to buy limited use insurance regardless, your insurance policy sets the rules, not state law. This law change would simply allow you to drive your classic anyplace you want. If you insuracne declaraiotn is still limiting you to restricted driving, then that wont change.

I like nice common sence laws.

what we really need is massive discounts in registration fees and more lenenit smog testing for classic cars that get limited use.

the DMV is killing me with all the fees and crap on my dozen cars. Hell I can only drive one at a time, yet they charge me like each one is my only car and all twelve are driving daily. They think I have 11 clones driving each day or what??? damn crooks!
G Man
I live in Carson City and we do not have emissions testing...Yet. Who knows what the future will bring.
VegasRacer
QUOTE(ArtechnikA @ May 20 2010, 09:54 AM) *

. . . only Washoe and Clark required annual testing.

Correct. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.