Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mechanics gloves
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
anthony
I thought I'd try a pair at Sear's the other day and they lasted exactly half a brake job before I wore a hole through the forefinger and thumb. For $20, I figured they'd last at least a year or two.

Is there a certain brand to get that will actually last?
TheCabinetmaker
disposable latex. Don't buy the $3 box. spring for the $10 box. Body shop suppliers have better quality (around here anyway).
machina
I'm on my 3rd set of Mechanix brand gloves, last me about 1 year.

When I'm doing really dirty work like removing motor or tearing down engine, I switch to heavy work gloves or surgical gloves.

The surgical gloves are great. You can get a box of 100 for $5 and you stay CLEAN so your wife doesn't know what youv'e been up to.

dr <_<
McMark
I'm impressed with the Mechanix brand 0.5 Original glove. I have two pairs. The one I've had for two weeks is starting to get a hole, but they have a lifetime warranty so I'll be getting a replacement set here in another week or so. Of course it's a little different for me. I work at a NAPA store so I can warranty them myself. I just bring them to work with me and order myself another set.
anthony
Mark, two weeks isn't encouraging.

I usually use vinyl gloves for messy jobs because they are thicker and stronger than latex gloves.
seanery
I have a set of mechanix and a set of the sears gloves. They fit differently, but both have been used without wear so far-2 years on mechanix and a couple months on sears.
McMark
anthony, the tear is very neat and clean so I don't know if I cut them or not. I was messing around with a razor blade. Besides that one small mark I would expect them to last awhile.
TimT
I use the orignal mechanic wear gloves.. I love em, my current set is going on 3 years old now
airsix
You guys are totally missing out. Latex and vinyl gloves SUCK!!!!! Get a box of the blue "nitrile" gloves. I get them at Harbor Freight for about $8 per 100. They are textured for good grip, they are thicker than latex (and stronger), and hold up well against most chemicals (where latex just melt away). I refuse to use anything else. I can't imagine having a pair of "mechanics gloves" - I'd have them oil soaked and ruined in no time flat. Nirtile dipsosables all the way.

-Ben M.
McMark
The nitrile gloves have never impressed me. One of the brands that I've used shows a picture of a woman poking her nail into the palm section from the inside out. I use a similar action to pull the glove tight on my fingers and it breaks 5 times out of 7. Kind of ironic.
echocanyons
the problem I have had with latex and nitrile gloves is my hands get real soft and well... moist ohmy.gif when wearing them for periods of time. This part doesnt bother me but if your hands are like this and you bump them or something it tends to be a lot harsher on your hands then it would be if they were dry.

I switched to the mechanix gloves and really havent had a problem with tactile grip or movement like I thought I would have and my hands dont get mushy when I wear them for a long time.

Cant go wrong with the mechanix gloves
SpecialK
I like to work on my equipment "Commando Style"...
ar15.gif We don't need no stinking gloves!
mightyohm
I use nitrile gloves from harbor freight, they are like $5 for a set of 100 (pairs? I forget) when on sale. They last a while. They are way more durable than latex and will resist some solvents, although brake cleaner will eat through them eventually.

I have a pair of those mechanics gloves from Sears that someone gave me, but I am scared to use them because I know I will turn them black in no time...
DuckRyder
I like the original mechanics gloves. I have 3 pair and one is about 3 years old and still useable (they are gjust really greasy even after washes)
ArtechnikA
i tried the original Mechanix brand and they were okay.
IMO, Simpson's are far superior in every way, and they've got a couple of different kinds now.

i also have one of their Kevlar glove liners and a gauntlet/sheath for the inevitable day i need to work on or around a hot exhaust.
STL914
My son bought me a pair of the Sears gloves for Christmas last year. While I always worked bare handed on my past and present cars, I tried these and actually find them comfortable. I can grip and pick up small nuts and bolts with no problems. The gloves save my hands from scrapes and keep them clean too, as well as my wife's hand towels. As far as how long they'll last, time will tell.
tracks914
Nitrile for really dirty work, Mechanix gloves for "hot" work around manifolds and exhausts, leather gloves for welding but all in all, I like to go "Commando" for all other work.
Just try to put engine tin screws on, under the intake manifolds with any gloves on. headbang.gif
GWN7
I use vinal & nitrile for messy stuff. For cheap protection you can use garden gloves. Cotton and come 12 per pack for under $10
dinomium
I use both Craftsman and Mechanix. What I hate is when I stick a dirty hand in a clean glove!
When I am working on CVs or trannys (really goopy) I will even go Latex in heavy gloves...
TonyAKAVW
I have a pair of mechanix gloves that within a few days of use, developed a hole. The other pair I have got fiberglass stuck in the cloth and give me the fiberglass itches everytime I use them. I agree with others that the HF nitrile gloves are great. They aren't as good for nuts and bolts type of stuff, as the mechanix gloves have a good grip and prevent your fingers from getting dented. But since I'm doing fairly heavy restoration work on my car now (sanding, grinding, cutting, etc.), pretty much any glove will get mangled.

For solvents I have a pair of Mechanix solvent gloves which have been excellent. They are a bit too big for me, but they are thick, and go high on your arms. So far they have been exposed to brake fluid, gasoline, B-12, mineral spirits, petroleom distillates, acetone, etc. After a year of use, there's no cracking, or any problems whatsoever.

I think what it comes down to is there are different gloves for different jobs.

Tony
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.