Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Carb install question and fuel line and fuel pump....
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RMally
OK, I have removed all the fuel injection and have the entire kit from CB ready to go on.........however, here's my problem. I'm not much of a mechanic.

The weber install doesn't look to bad, but what about the fuel pump swap and hook-up. I haven't removed the original FP yet, but when I do will there be an extra fuel line remaining? Is it as simple as taking off the old FP and just connecting the new one. It seems one of my 356 buddies said I will have to block of a return line....(I have no idea what that means).

If someone has a guide or instructions on installing the carbs and more importantly the fuel pump please give me a heads up. The weber instructions don't mention the FP, so I want to make sure I get it right.

Thanks,

Randy

biosurfer1
The fuel injection has two lines coming/going to the fuel tank. You won't need to smaller of the two (return line). I left mine in there in case I want to run FI in the future, just capped it off at both ends.
I have CFR's stainless fuel lines which do a 90 out of the firewall. I ran a fuel filter attached to that, then the pump, the hose up to a splitter and finally to the carbs.
Fairly simple once you get into it.
RMally
Thanks for the reply,

One quick follow-up. While trying to install the new manifolds I cant get the nuts back on due to the side of the manifold is too close to the nut (I hope that makes sense). Any suggestions?
biosurfer1
Well there should be three mounting points for the manifolds. Two are bolts on the sides of the manifolds, and the last would be the nut that goes on the sud towards the middle of the manifolds...are you talking about the nut in the middle?
That one can be a pain since you can't see it with the manifolds in place, however you could maybe use a mirror to help line it up, otherwise you can usually do it by feel, it just might take some creative bending of your hand to get in there.
Make sure to use all new gaskets for sure, otherwise you might end up chasing an air leak (ask me how I know)
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(RMally @ May 19 2010, 05:21 PM) *

Thanks for the reply,

One quick follow-up. While trying to install the new manifolds I cant get the nuts back on due to the side of the manifold is too close to the nut (I hope that makes sense). Any suggestions?

There are special nuts available for the sides of the manifold. CB sells barrel nuts that use an allen wrench instead of a hex socket or open end wrench. Thats what I have for the manifolds on my daily driver.
You can buy 8mm hex nuts (somewhere) that use an 11mm or 12mm wrench. I'm not sure if the 12mm ones will clear your manifolds or not.
RMally
Thanks guys,

Yes, it is the side nuts that are hitting. I'll look for the hex nuts tomorrow. Thanks for the tips on the nuts and gaskets.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.