Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Front fresh air fan
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
DRPHIL914
I have checked relays and fuses- all look fine, front fans will not turn on for defrost/fresh air . any suggestions?

Phil w.
realred914
smilie_pokal.gif bye1.gif av-943.gif flag.gif smash.gif
QUOTE(Philip W. @ May 19 2010, 01:25 PM) *

I have checked relays and fuses- all look fine, front fans will not turn on for defrost/fresh air . any suggestions?

Phil w.

fans can fail, clogged with leaves. if that the case, remove and clean them, and lube fan and benche test (removal is a pain, pull the gas tank first!!!!!)

if you do remove it, be sure to add an aluminum window screen under the cowl vents to keep debries out of the fan.

other failure can be in the switch, it can even melt do to high resistance in the wipers of the switch.

you may be able to clean up the contacts if not melted, and it wil work again, best to remove it to get at it to clean.

testing is hard as plug to fan is =hard to get at, you want to see if you are getting power ot the fan or not, then you decide if it is the switch(or wires) or if the fan needs to come out or not.

if too hard to get to plug to test, then with a sharp neddle pierce the insulation on the wires to use a probe for yoru test meter. a small pin hole wont be much of an issure on the wires as they see a dry enviroment generally.

good luck welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif popcorn[1].gif aktion035.gif icon8.gif
Mikey914
If you have to open it up, let me know. I have the seals for the little flappers and the center of the main body. I also have the rubber edges for the early style.
yeahmag
Check that the HVAC controls are all working right. The fan traces on mine are all work out and work intermittently even after I cleaned them up.
nsr-jamie
I had this problem too and just cleaned it up and the contacts and it started working again amazingly, try that and see if it works...now the lights on my heater control panels are blown out so I am going to pull that out sometime soon. Good luck

Jamie
rwilner
QUOTE(nsr-jamie @ May 19 2010, 11:26 PM) *

I had this problem too and just cleaned it up and the contacts and it started working again amazingly, try that and see if it works...now the lights on my heater control panels are blown out so I am going to pull that out sometime soon. Good luck

Jamie

Jamie
Did you clean up the contacts in the HVAC controls, or at the fan, or in the fuse box, or all 3? How hard is it to remove the HVAC controls, disassemble and clean?
DonTraver
Its like every thing else on the 914, a pain in the ass. Wear leather gloves, there's a lot of sharp edges, and the control wires will stab you given half a chance. There just is no easy way.

Pull hood, pull gas tank, disconnect control cables, pull dash control, and while you're in there, clean and paint the gas tank cavity, paint the tank, it never ends.

Good Luck
jim_hoyland
One other thing to check: smile.gif There are three wires with small spade connectors on the right side of the control unit. I found mine unconnected due to sloppy radio installation. The installer knocked the wires off the connectors. I pulled the radio as well as the din ( cage the radio locks into ); look for the three spades and wires on your left.
rwilner
thanks Jim. hopefully it's something simple.

I replace the OEM fuse panel with Jwest's just now, and I noticed that one of my relay slots is missing the relay. are all of them supposed to be populated with relays?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.