Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Ebay bidders with poor feedback..
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mikester
So, I have my car up on the block at the moment (sigh)...as bad as that sounds I'm searching for a 911 replacement so I think that's okay...I can be a pariah right?

Anyway - I put it up on EBay.

I had a guy with 1 transaction and negative feedback on that transaction. I have it listed in my auction that negative feedback bidders need to contact me first or I will cancel their bids. So, I canceled his bids.

He did email me to get a look at the car but he didn't contact me regarding his feedback. At the moment I don't want to accept him as a bidder because of his feedback.

What would you do?

The Mikester.
machina
If he comes to see the car and brings a cashiers check, then ebay was just a conduit to find a buyer. With a face to face transaction I wouldn't worry.

If it was a deal just via e-mail, get rid of him.

dr
TheCabinetmaker
Mike, if it was his first auction, then he has a 50% chance of being the good guy or bad guy in that deal. If you allow him to bid and he wins, you have a 50% chance of the deal going sour. If you don't allow him to bid, you have a 100% chance of not going sour with him. If he can't bid, and no one else does, you haven't done any worse than if he out bid others and then burned ya. Just my warped point of view!
anthony
He did email me to get a look at the car but he didn't contact me regarding his feedback. At the moment I don't want to accept him as a bidder because of his feedback.

What would you do?

Just block him. You can set up a list of blocked bidders with ebay.
madd_dogg_914
QUOTE(vsg914 @ Apr 4 2004, 11:16 AM)
If he can't bid, and no one else does, you haven't done any worse than if he out bid others and then burned ya. Just my warped point of view!

Actually, you did better, because you wouldn't have to pay any eBay seller fees. Not so warped. If you are selling anything (especially something like a car) you have every right to be protective. Hell if I was selling a car in person, I would really want to get to know the person before I finalized the deal, but on eBay all you have is feedback . . . so, no reason to feel bad at all. You are saving yourself a potential headache later. And that is the best medicine a man can get, preventative!!!

-Chris
McMark
agree.gif

Unless you meet face to face, ignore him.

BTW, I like the new avatar Chris.
Dr Evil
Yo Mike,
Dont sweat it. If he is coming in to look at it than you have no worries. I would have cancelled his bid. I have people stiffing me all of the time and I would rather avoid the agrivation. I agree with the others.
Sorry to hear that you are getting a sex change (911)! I will look forward to kicking your ass with my teener (If it ever gets going....)
Wine and Cheese....
mikester
Doooode!

The guy's bid on my car again.

Freakin crazy...
Dr Evil
That should tell you something.
mikester
I blocked him...frickin crazies.
blonde914
He could also potentially get you a nice price for your car. He could be totally on the up and up and his bids could get your car a better price even if he doesn't win. If he does and doesn't come through you can always offer it to the next highest bidder.
Good Luck,
Sherry driving-girl.gif
Curvie Roadlover
QUOTE(blonde914 @ Apr 4 2004, 09:27 PM)
He could also potentially get you a nice price for your car. He could be totally on the up and up and his bids could get your car a better price even if he doesn't win. If he does and doesn't come through you can always offer it to the next highest bidder.
Good Luck,
Sherry driving-girl.gif

good point!
mikester
Sure he could get me a nice price - or he could screw it all up and just not pay.

Which would suck and is a hassle I don't need. I'd rather see someone with good feedback than negative feedback. Heck, I'd rather see no feedback than 100% negative feedback.
morph
I have also had someone with one negative feedback, and no other feedback, bid on a speaker tube I had for sale, I thought that I would give him a chance, afterall, his first e-bay experience may have been a bad one. Gave him a chance and he didn't pay up. a few days later I checked his feedback and he had 3 more negatives for not paying. I will not do that again, I think that you are justified in blocking him.
Joe Bob
Blondie sold to a guy with less than 5 transactions....got top dollar at 16,500 for a sixer conversion...

BTW, aren't fees are paid only if the bid exceeds the reserve?

Assuming you have a reserve.........
biosurfer1
i'm not sure how the ebay motors works, but you DO have to pay fees on a reserve auction fornormal items, the reserve just means they will allow you to re-list within 30 days and if it sells then, you only pay fees for that auction, if you have a reserve and it isnt met, and dont relist within 30 days, you have to pay.
Toast
I sold a Karman Ghia recently to a lady with one positive, one negative. She won the bid, which was $750 more than my starting bid. She proptly wired me the money (no check, mo, or cashiers check fraud to deal with clap56.gif ). She did not have a problem paying for the shipping from CA to PA. It was a real smoothe transaction.

Of course, I had it up for sale on the Samba, and got involved in a Nigerian Scam by someone who sent me a Counterfit Cashiers Check! That check ended up in alot of time consumption and me getting a new bank. Yack.gif

If he's constantly bidding, he may be serious. Have him come look at the car and confront him about the negitive feeback in person. Also, dont accept paper from this guy. CASH OR PAYPAL ONLY!

Just my 2 cents.
Good luck.
anthony
Paypal payments can be reversed. It's not even close to being the same as cash.
mikester
If this was a low dollar item I'd totally let the guy bid.

He did want to look at it but I asked him specifically about his feedback and he never got back to me on it.

So I blocked him from bidding on it. I don't want to take the chance. The thing is he has NO other feedback and I don't want to deal with the hassle.
carreraguy
Mikester:

I agree with you (again!).

eBay is based TOTALLY on feedback. All listings I have done on eBay Motors state specifically that I reseve the right to cancel bidders with negative feedback. This is only reasonable; especially if we're taling about multi-thousand dollar item. Of course, if you are really anxious to sell and no one else is bidding, you could always talk to him via voice or email to get the details of his negative feedback - maybe there was a good reason.

Good luck with your sale!
Malmz
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 5 2004, 09:54 AM)
BTW, aren't fees are paid only if the bid exceeds the reserve?

Assuming you have a reserve.........

When you list a car, you pay for the fees up front. $42 if I remember correctly. I don't recall if there is a final sale fee on a car on top of that.

When you sell parts, you pay a listing fee and a final sale fee. You only don't pay the final sales fee if the item does not sell.

Reserve auction = extra fee
Buy it now auction = extra fee
Any bells and whistles = extra fees
... why the hell didn't I think of Ebay... mad.gif

sm
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.