Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1.7 vs 2.0 exterior case dimensions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
moparrob
OK, here is a newbie question for you.

When comparing a 1.7 case to a 2.0 case, are the dimensions (width) the same from cylinder base to opposing cylinder base on both engines?

The reason I ask is I want to set-up a mock up engine with the 1.7 case I have, with the intention of eventually building a motor based on the 2.0 case. Both motors will be using 1.7 barrels and heads.

I want to design an intake and exhaust system on the bench, on the mock up engine (1.7 case), and want to be sure it will bolt up top the 'real' engine (2.0 case) once it is built. headbang.gif

Any other concerns or thoughts from anyone who may have some experience with this?

Thanks.
70_914
QUOTE(moparrob @ May 19 2010, 04:39 PM) *

OK, here is a newbie question for you.

When comparing a 1.7 case to a 2.0 case, are the dimensions (width) the same from cylinder base to opposing cylinder base on both engines?

The reason I ask is I want to set-up a mock up engine with the 1.7 case I have, with the intention of eventually building a motor based on the 2.0 case. Both motors will be using 1.7 barrels and heads.

I want to design an intake and exhaust system on the bench, on the mock up engine (1.7 case), and want to be sure it will bolt up top the 'real' engine (2.0 case) once it is built. headbang.gif

Any other concerns or thoughts from anyone who may have some experience with this?

Thanks.

Are you running 1.7 liter crank and rods in you 2.0 block? The 1.7 is alleged to be a better block to build, but the 2.0 heads are WAY better to use...

I am a little confused on what you are building...
McMark
All T4 cases are the same.

Well, except for a few minor changes for the ones that came in Bus motors. But the 1.7 and 2.0 cases are the same.
moparrob
Thanks for the info.

The situation is that I am intrigued by the turbo motor Dave (ottoxx) is building, based upon a 2.0 bottom end with a 1.7 (highly modified) top end. This sounds like something I would like to duplicate, potentially.

I will need to design an exhaust manifold, locate the turbo and intercooler and install a fuel injection system, so I'm trying to get up to speed with the various components available and figure out what will fit in the engine bay.

I currently have a 1.7 motor (shot) that I can use for dimensions, but I will need to purchase a 2.0 case, crank and rods from which I will build the turbo motor. Once the 'real' motor is built I can then transfer all systems to it. This allows me to do my R&D while I squirrel away the $$ for the turbo motor.

70_914
QUOTE(moparrob @ May 20 2010, 11:37 AM) *

Thanks for the info.

The situation is that I am intrigued by the turbo motor Dave (ottoxx) is building, based upon a 2.0 bottom end with a 1.7 (highly modified) top end. This sounds like something I would like to duplicate, potentially.

I will need to design an exhaust manifold, locate the turbo and intercooler and install a fuel injection system, so I'm trying to get up to speed with the various components available and figure out what will fit in the engine bay.

I currently have a 1.7 motor (shot) that I can use for dimensions, but I will need to purchase a 2.0 case, crank and rods from which I will build the turbo motor. Once the 'real' motor is built I can then transfer all systems to it. This allows me to do my R&D while I squirrel away the $$ for the turbo motor.

Check the Samba or Vortex for 2.0 long blocks from a bus. I got mine for $65 to get the crank and rods, which are the same as a 914 2.0 crank and rods. For a turbo engine you want air flow, and that means a lot of attention towards cylinder heads. Those will be one of your biggest and most important expenses.
SLITS
You might want to get 1.8L heads as they supposedly have a thicker deck.
moparrob
70 914 - you are on the money. I checked out Samba and found LOTS of goodies, even running engines on the cheap.

You are absolutely correct, the magic bullet is the cylinder heads. That is where the bulk of the build money will go. HAM has built some trick heads for Dave that are specially designed for his application (which sounds exactly like what I am looking for).
70_914
QUOTE(moparrob @ May 20 2010, 09:34 PM) *

70 914 - you are on the money. I checked out Samba and found LOTS of goodies, even running engines on the cheap.

You are absolutely correct, the magic bullet is the cylinder heads. That is where the bulk of the build money will go. HAM has built some trick heads for Dave that are specially designed for his application (which sounds exactly like what I am looking for).

Glad you understand to look at your engine as a system, and not just bolt a bunch of random parts together and expect magical results. Good luck!
moparrob
Thanks, it sure is a learning process. At least I realize from the outset that the engine is a system, having reviewed numerous posts from ottoxx, Jake Raby and HAM. I think the idea can come together *fairly* easily, especially with all of the pre-existing R&D that have gone into this application. It's nice to NOT be the pioneer for a change biggrin.gif
Krieger
I am suprised that nobody has told you yet that you can't tubo a 914. blink.gif
moparrob
lol-2.gif

Ive read that once or twice. I think I must have some sort of personality defect that causes me to attempt things that makes others just scratch their heads and mumble...

Plus I'm really bored.

It's a good excuse to spend time in my garage with beer3.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.