Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Engine lid quick Release
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bandjoey
Unbolting the hinge on the engine lid is getting to be a pain when I need to do something inside the compartment and want to take the lid off. ( This has absolutely nothing to do with age or agility in standing on a milk crate and trying to get under the lid).

Are there quick release pins that will go through the bolt holes, something like a hood quick release pin?? Other attachment methods?

Pic's appreciated and source / size of what you use. Thanks guys! beerchug.gif
campbellcj
Here is what I did. (Very old pic.)

IPB Image

I bought a GT-style lid from one of the suppliers on the forums, then I further gutted and lightened it. Removed the stock hinges and latch parts, and used captive-pin style fasteners.

It saves weight, improves airflow and makes it easier to work in the engine compartment.

Obviously this could be done on a regular lid; doesn't have to be a GT type lid.
zambezi
Have you tried slotting the mounting bracket below the rear window at the hinge points. Then all you need to do is loosen the nuts at the hinges and the lid will slide off easily.
lotus_65
QUOTE(zambezi @ May 19 2010, 10:11 PM) *

Have you tried slotting the mounting bracket below the rear window at the hinge points. Then all you need to do is loosen the nuts at the hinges and the lid will slide off easily.

agree.gif
that's the ticket.
cary_todd
I have a car with no engine lid release cable.

It was suggested I use a choke style pull cable and mount the knob on the back of the sail panel somewhere low and unobtrusive and use that to pull the cable/latch. The cable tube is still there and I might have to cut it a bit.

Have any of you done this? If so do you have pictures?

I won't be taking my lid completely off too often.
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 20 2010, 04:50 AM) *

agree.gif
that's the ticket.

I've gone this route also....
1 man job to remove lid without dropping it inside the engine bay..
roadster fan
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 20 2010, 01:50 AM) *

agree.gif
that's the ticket.

I thought I had a picture from when I did mine but couldnt find it. It is so nice and easy to take the lid off now, I almost always take it off when doing work in the engine bay because it is a one man job on and off.

Jim
ClayPerrine
Bring it over and I will show you how to slot the bolt holes to make it easy to remove.

Kansas 914
QUOTE(ClayPerrine @ May 25 2010, 12:39 PM) *

Bring it over and I will show you how to slot the bolt holes to make it easy to remove.

agree.gif
We did that mod to Buttercup - Bill must have been busy doing something else at the time. I have done it to all my 914s! It should have been done that way from the factory...
bandjoey
Thanks guys. See the later post on stripped out bolt hole at the hinge...Slotting looks like the answer and easy to do. I'll give you a call Clay. With you expertise and my manual labor, it should be and easy fix. smash.gif
championgt1
Like this. Takes about half hour. Best thing I have done to my car.

Click to view attachment

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.