Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: DEAD WIPER MOTOR
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CHAZT54

I've got a '74 2.0 and am now getting it ready for fist show of the season. The windshieled wipers worked fine last fall when I parked it but don't now for some reason. I did restore the dash & instruments over the winter including cleaning up the heat/defrost controls, installing a push-button start switch (key switch was unreliable in crank position), and installed a MOMO wheel w/hub.
The connections at the wiper motor, fuse block, and bottom of stalk switch are all solid.
I get no power at the wiper motor connection with key on and wiper switch on.

Could this be a dead spot in the wiper motor OR poor contacts in the stalk switch?
I dread pulling those stalk switches from the column.

Hoping for something simple.
OTHER IDEAS? confused24.gif
CHARLIE
detoxcowboy
You will dread even more changing the wiper motor, been there done that .. best check everything else first.. no power at the wiper motor? then that is a better sigh than dead wiper motor.. keep tracin it back to the switch/ fuse block.. relay ect..
CHAZT54
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 20 2010, 09:40 AM) *

You will dread even more changing the wiper motor, been there done that .. best check everything else first.. no power at the wiper motor? then that is a better sigh than dead wiper motor.. keep tracin it back to the switch/ fuse block.. relay ect..

RELAY? I didn't know there was a relay involved with the wipers. Where do I find this puppy?
eitnurg
Pulling the stalk switch is no drama at all. Only confusing part is (ISTR) that wiring colours within the switch differ from the corresponding connections in the multi-pin plug (& which the wiring diagram refers to).

It may be that wiper spindles have siezed from non-use, and switching them on has melted the plastic contact holders in the stalk switch so that the contacts no longer contact. Means "new switch".

Don't ask me how I know.

detoxcowboy
QUOTE(CHAZT54 @ May 20 2010, 11:23 AM) *

RELAY? I didn't know there was a relay involved with the wipers. Where do I find this puppy?

Click to view attachment

not all car have this but I have a 74 it does, you have a 74 does it?
CHAZT54
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 20 2010, 10:47 AM) *

QUOTE(CHAZT54 @ May 20 2010, 11:23 AM) *

Click to view attachment

not all car have this but I have a 74 it does, you have a 74 does it?

That's a good question. I never looked for it. I will have to check when I get home tonight.
Thanks for enlightening me.

SLITS
That is the "interval" wiper relay .... I'm not really sure but I think you push up on the stalk to make the wipers cycle once with that option.
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 20 2010, 04:18 PM) *

That is the "interval" wiper relay .... I'm not really sure but I think you push up on the stalk to make the wipers cycle once with that option.

pull down actually then they work (wipe once) intermitently about every 8 seconds (guessing) or so..
brp986s
There is a wiper relay. It's on top of the fuse plate, and if I recall, it's the standard round one that controls the headlight motors and etc., so you can swap for a quick test.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.