Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 3.2 Installation
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stevenjhuey
I'm sure this has been discussed a thousands times before but, I just purchased a 3.2 motor for my origainal 914-6. I'd like to try and do the installation myself, is there a thread on getting this installed? Are there any tricks for getting this matted to my 901 trans or any other engine related components needed? Also any suggestion on exhuast, I'd like to keep the heater so I guess I down to the original 9164-6 heat exchangers (which I don't have), B&B or GLH aftermarket headers. Which size pipes? Should I just forget about doing it myself and take it to a shop...

Thanks in advance..Steve
boxstr
Steve, I too have a 3.2 911 motor, I have been bitten by the V8 bug so I am scrapping the 3.2 conversion.
But if I were to do it myself, I wouldn't. Oh you can do it and I received alot of information from people on this list who have.
If you can afford it then I would call Brad at HPH and ask him how much and then use that as your gauge.
Kennedy Engineering will have the adapters you need and then it is just a matter of figuring out the wiring, to run the DME & FI or switch to carbs.
You have a couple of items out of the way, since you have a six. The oil tank and lines, plus a little better on the suspension and braking. The gearbox is not the way to go on this conversion. You would be much better to switch to 914-4 sideshifter or have it regeared, expensive.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Craig C. Laughlin CAMP 914
McMark
You can use a 901 and it'll bolt right up to the 3.2, but a 915 box is really the way to go. Hopefully Brad will have some time to chime in and give the low down.

You can do the installation yourself. But like anything, the question is -- which do you have more of, money or time?
ss6
You don't need to be a rocket scientist to do the conversion, just have a little patience, and a few tools (one of them being a credit card). The biggest PITA from my point of view was running the oil cooler and lines. The other 2 "biggies" were installing the oil tank and the engine mount. More tedious than difficult.

I'd recommend a welded in engine mount, I did mine myself, but any reputable welder can do it in a few hours or less if you've removed the engine for him.

Wiring the engine into the existing harness has been figured out (just ask), pretty straightforward if you have the stock harness that goes between the engine and the DME box.

The 901 bolts right up, and a 901 will handle a stock 3.2 no sweat, as long as you're not planning spend your Friday nights doing burn-outs in 1st. The gearing a tad low, but quite tolerable. A side shifter (or conversion) is preferrable. Make sure you install bronze shift bushings, not the sloppy plastic ones. You'll need to install a clutch kit and either a flywheel compatible to the starter or an adaptor ring that goes on the existing 3.2's flywheel, all bolt-on stuff, probably from Kennedy (got mine from Patrick M/S, probably a re-sell of Kennedy stuff).

Doing it yourself vs writing a check depends on your checking account, how clean your garage is, how much spare time you're willing to invest, how patient your wife is, and how "hands-on" you want to be.
SirAndy
QUOTE(ss6 @ Apr 4 2004, 01:25 PM)
I'd recommend a welded in engine mount, I did mine myself, but any reputable welder can do it in a few hours or less if you've removed the engine for him.

he's got a original /6. so, no need to mess with the engine mount or oil lines or oil-cooler wink.gif

i have seen several 3.2 conversion and for street use, the build in oil cooler is enough. if you think about AX or the like, a front mounted oil cooler is the way to go.

let's make brad aware of this thread,
Andy
J P Stein
Before you decide yea or nay on the external cooler, take a survey of 3.2L Carreras (84-89 911s). See how many of them have them. laugh.gif
John
All I can say is DO IT! It is a great motor for the 914, especially with the factory FI. Turn the key and run run run....

What do you want to know?

Clutch/flywheel : Kennedy
Trans: Street---901 can work (must notch belhousing for flywheel sensors) Track 915 or G50.

I left the factory FI installed and rebuilt my wiring harness to accept the DME, etc.

I would recommend a front cooler regardless of use.

Exhaust. Headers will probably be the way to go 1.75" works for me. (no heat)

Muffler: your choice.
John
Boxstr

I too have a 3.2 911 motor, I have been bitten by the V8 bug so I am scrapping the 3.2 conversion.

Would you like to part with your 3.2 if you are going V8? Tell me about it. I may just be interested.... I have a tub on a roticorie that needs some sort of Porsche engine....
ss6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 4 2004, 07:11 PM)

he's got a original /6. so, no need to mess with the engine mount or oil lines or oil-cooler wink.gif

Don't get to see many original -6's over here on the rusty side. Guess this means the oil tank is already there too, if so, that's 2 out of 3 PITA's already done!

I'm with JP - an external oil cooler is stock on the '84-89 911's the 3.2's come from. Guess you could get the engine swap done without an external cooler first, and put it in later, but I'll bet you'll want it before very long.

You'll also probably have to replace the stock air filter box (ie with a cone filter) to get things to fit in the engine bay.

re: heat, you can shoehorn the 3.2's original heater blower in by removing the diagonal strut on the engine lid, but those heater motors have a bad habit of dying young, so stick with your original 914 blower, and stay away from the B&B headers, the HE's are a joke.
Pesky 914
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Apr 4 2004, 11:03 PM)
Clutch/flywheel : Kennedy
Trans:   Street---901 can work (must notch belhousing for flywheel sensors)  Track 915 or G50.

I have a modified 3.2 (236rwhp) and still run a 901 on the track. I do have the billet intermediate plate & cooler, but that's it. The 901 really starts to have issues around 300hp (the shafts will flex, and you will break either 3rd or 4th gear). Save your $s and stick with the 901 for a stock 3.2 (plus, it's lighter too!).
SirAndy
QUOTE(ss6 @ Apr 5 2004, 06:43 AM)
You'll also probably have to replace the stock air filter box (ie with a cone filter) to get things to fit in the engine bay.

actually, just turn the upper intake manifold 180deg and everything will fit in there without cutting. wink.gif

Andy
Dave_Darling
And to make sure everything is clear: When they tell you the engine "bolts right up" to the stock gearbox, they mean "if you go and buy the $$$ converter flywheel with the 9-bolt mounting pattern". If you want to keep the DME, you'll need to get the flywheel with the teeth for the crank position sensor as well. More $$, but you won't have to re-jet the carbs for a 3.2 motor.

Some or all of the aftermarket stainless heat exchangers don't seem to fit very well. sad.gif Some of the Six conversion "gurus" have declared that they're only going to use stock exchangers or headers from now on. sad.gif

--DD
ss6
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 5 2004, 03:14 PM)
actually, just turn the upper intake manifold 180deg and everything will fit in there without cutting. wink.gif

Andy, got any pix of this kind of setup?
SirAndy
QUOTE(ss6 @ Apr 5 2004, 01:35 PM)
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 5 2004, 03:14 PM)
actually, just turn the upper intake manifold 180deg and everything will fit in there without cutting.  ;)

Andy, got any pix of this kind of setup?

nope, but i'm sure brad has pics somewhere ...
TimT
I have 3.2 powered 914/6...901 with a short stack.....

Youll need the extra oil cooler....heck the 911 has the fender cooler.... what makes anyone think a 914/ w 3.2 could live w/o the front cooler?

Mine is a track only car... so airflow isnt a problem, in a street car where you might sit in TRAFFIC for a bit , the extra thermal capacity of having a few quarts more oil, and the extra cooler cant be ignored..

More oil is a "Good Thing" as she the recently convicted says
East coaster
Here's pics of a flipped intake. It's on a 3.6, but I think the 3.2 is the same as far as the flip is concerned. I had to cut the two cross tubes apart (they're joined by webs in the casting) and I only flipped the top tube.........
East coaster
Here's a 3.2 w/ the flip done. Looks schweet!

oops! I think it's an early 3.6......sorry!
ss6
Why go through all that flippin' work?
Brad Roberts
YES !! I love the oil cooler debates.

First off.. Kiss my ASS. (Thought I would get that out of the way)..LOL

Daily driving and even the occasional AutoX will not require an extra oil cooler over a stock 9146 cooler in a 3.0 or 3.2.

I really dont care what the 911 came with.. it also came with an engine facing backwards with half the amount of clean air available (nevermind the AC or catalytic converter and ALL the exhaust wrapped around it..including a muffler hung 3 inches from it)..

You will NEVER convince me otherwise. I can show you case after case (and let you drive the cars I'm referencing) to prove my theory.

Oh.. your 9146 tranny is fine, but you will want the 5th gear from a 4cyl box. The 9146 stock tranny has a taller second gear but a shorter 5th than the 4cyl 914 tranny.

The 914 tranny will last "awhile" but dont plan on getting attached to it.

B
J P Stein
QUOTE(Brad Roberts @ Apr 5 2004, 10:47 PM)

First off.. Kiss my ASS. (Thought I would get that out of the way)..LOL

That would be about any where, cause you're fulla crap laugh.gif

You can't be convinced...... There's no debate as your mind is closed....you're WRONG, of course. laugh.gif
No skin off your ass, you risk nothing.
Brad Roberts
Oh.. contrare... I have a lot of skin to lose if a customer overheats his 3.0/3.2 914. I get to eat an engine rebuild.

B
dflesburg
Wow,

You guys should try some decaf.
J P Stein
How do you quantify broken head studs, premature valve guide or piston ring wear? Are you gonna jump in should those problems arise?

As to your opinion of 6s running cooler in 914s than in 911s, Mr Anderson says the opposite is true.

Dflesburger(if that's your real name): We been doing this off & on for some time.....tain't personal....he's just all fucked up and I'm tryng to set him straight....ain't having much luck, tho. laugh.gif
I LIKE caffeine w00t.gif
Brad Roberts
JP and I go back a few years now and love having this debate. It's all fun and games. beerchug.gif

Bruce and his books go way back... oils have changed... gas has changed... he also told us to install chassis stiff kits and control arm kits 20 years ago... Now he doesnt.

Everytime I install a front mounted oil cooler in a 3.0 or 3.2 car.. I end up blocking half (if not more) of it off to keep the car from cycling the thermostat. I honestly beleive the earlier engines need a front mounted cooler, but with the advance in oil pumps in the 3.0/3.2 and synthetic oil.

I have also said it depends on where you live. I know where this guy lives (Castro Valley) it is only 8-10deg. warmer there than it is here on the Penisula. He would be just fine with a stock cooler.

B
John
As far as the 901 boxes are concerned, our 901 lasted about 8 years of only track time before we really started breaking fourth gear. After the first time we broke fourth gear, it seemed to happen with more frequency. Perhaps we finally got to the point where we were pushing the car hard enough to overstress the 901 box.

We broke many a 901 boxes (all fourth gear) and with different cases and builders. The gearbox is simply not strong enough to handle the torque. In the end, I did build one with the "billit" intermediate plate, but it still is on the stand. We never tried it. Oh well, that is one totally rebuilt spare on the shelf.

I truely believe the 901 is sufficient on the street, but for serious track time, you will either become a transmission rebuilder or will have to take the plunge and go 915-916. (There was a reason the 901 was abandoned with the 2.4 engines back in 1973)
ein 6er
rumor has it laugh.gif that a larger engine oil cooler is in the works.

hope that's true!! rolleyes.gif
Brad Roberts
It is true.. and it was tested on Jerry Woods dyno a month or so back. We couldnt get the engine past 180 degree's at full throttle and 3/4 load on it.

It is only a matter of time/money. Neither of which I have right now. The two projects that deserve focus from me are getting it. This cooler setup gets attention when I can breath for a minute or two.

B
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.