Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Beware Of fastal1973 On eBay
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kenshapiro2002
Al Conrad (and his father Axel) of Madison CT., are the guys who sold me the 914 on eBay. If you've followed my progress over the past ten months, you know that they swapped the four lug chrome revered wheels that were on the car for a five lug set up. In doing so, they used two different sized spacers...1.5 inch on one side and 1.75 on the other. In fact, on one side they hammered two spacers together. There were no cotter pins in either the tie rod ends or ball joints. One strut is early style and the other is late. One tie rod end and one ball joint had sliced bellows.

I realize it's buyer beware, and I have no problem with the price I paid or the car itself. I do have a problem with a guy who represents himself as "a Porsche technician with 20 years experience", who is willing to send somebody out on a long road trip in a car so sloppily thrown together.

When I just emailed him to let him know that an experienced wrench should know to put cotter pins back into steering and suspension components, he said:

Dear dasminicar,

and btw you dont have a porsche its a glorified VW

- fastal1973

I wrote back and told him he was absolutely correct...that not only shouldn't he be touting himself as a Porsche tech, he isn't even able to cobble together a glorified VW. lol-2.gif
Elliot Cannon
lol-2.gif lol-2.gif lol-2.gif
McMark
av-943.gif
JRust
Instant Classic aktion035.gif . Gotta love ebay! Great response
montoya 73 2.0
I still don't understand why people say "it's not a Porsche, It's a VW"? Didn't Heir Doctor Engineer the first Aircooled VW motor and body? Then wouldn't the VW actually be a Porsche-VW? That would be like saying since Ford took a Falcon frame and put a mustang body on it that it really is a Falcon?
EdwardBlume
drunk.gif drunk.gif drunk.gif

Same old VW / Porsche story...

To me its just a convenient way to root out people I don't like ... bootyshake.gif
bobhasissues
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ May 20 2010, 02:01 PM) *

Al Conrad (and his father Axel) of Madison CT., are the guys who sold me the 914 on eBay. If you've followed my progress over the past ten months, you know that they swapped the four lug chrome revered wheels that were on the car for a five lug set up. In doing so, they used two different sized spacers...1.5 inch on one side and 1.75 on the other. In fact, on one side they hammered two spacers together. There were no cotter pins in either the tie rod ends or ball joints. One strut is early style and the other is late. One tie rod end and one ball joint had sliced bellows.

I realize it's buyer beware, and I have no problem with the price I paid or the car itself. I do have a problem with a guy who represents himself as "a Porsche technician with 20 years experience", who is willing to send somebody out on a long road trip in a car so sloppily thrown together.

When I just emailed him to let him know that an experienced wrench should know to put cotter pins back into steering and suspension components, he said:

Dear dasminicar,

- fastal1973

I wrote back and told him he was absolutely correct...that not only shouldn't he be touting himself as a Porsche tech, he isn't even able to cobble together a glorified VW. lol-2.gif

Well, we all know he's not the only bad apple out there or even in the classifieds here. It sucks getting burned, but it pisses me off even more when it's someone here. Just seems more sociopathic when it's done here. sheeplove.gif
kenshapiro2002
Where's "here"? He's not in this site. He has a 912 shell for sale now on eBay. Ya'll should write to him and ask him if it's a "real" Porsche. aktion035.gif

QUOTE(bobhasissues @ May 20 2010, 03:46 PM) *

QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ May 20 2010, 02:01 PM) *

Dear dasminicar,

- fastal1973

Well, we all know he's not the only bad apple out there or even in the classifieds here. It sucks getting burned, but it pisses me off even more when it's someone here. Just seems more sociopathic when it's done here. sheeplove.gif

SirAndy
QUOTE(kenshapiro2002 @ May 20 2010, 12:57 PM) *

He has a 912 shell for sale now on eBay. Ya'll should write to him and ask him if it's a "real" Porsche. aktion035.gif

thumb3d.gif
porschecb
That's funny the title for vw must be way wrong! It says "Porsche" I will call dmv and inform them of the problem. Like I don't have enough to do. dry.gif blink.gif confused24.gif
zymurgist
It amazes me that anyone knowledgeable about these cars would be insulted by the "glorified VW" remark.
codices
Hey! Good stuff from VW too. Not a big deal, however the 914 (from Porsche) parts book has a LOT of 900 numbers that are not VW.

Dave
PeeGreen 914
Man, anyone who has bought parts for these knows the part cost Porsche prices confused24.gif lol-2.gif
70_914
QUOTE(porschecb @ May 20 2010, 01:23 PM) *

That's funny the title for vw must be way wrong! It says "Porsche" I will call dmv and inform them of the problem. Like I don't have enough to do. dry.gif blink.gif confused24.gif

My cars both have body tags that say Volkswagenwerk. I will call Mr. Porsche and inform him of the problem. biggrin.gif
biosurfer1
I tell everyone its a Porsche because it is....until it's time for my insurance premium, then its some crappy VW biggrin.gif
scrz914
When I had a 911SC I took off the deck lid latch mechanism and was surprised that it had the VW stamp on it. The 911 must be a Porsche-VW too. lol-2.gif
windforfun
barf.gif barf.gif barf.gif
gothspeed
Didn't Dr. Ferdinand Porsche design/develop the first VWs??? idea.gif
Tom
You can call my car any name you want. If I'm on a curvy road - then tell me when you catch up. If I'm home, the car is in the garage and easy to catch. smile.gif
Really doesn't matter to me - it is just some people being silly and/or jealous.
Tom
realred914
Its a Karman!!!!!

yeah lots of folks put up a shingle with 'Porsche expert" on it, yet they are total train wrecks of mechanics. reminds me of the place that was attempting body work on my car. big long time Porsche "expert" had a nice photo album of the cars he supposed to have worked on. then he gets my car and fucks up every thing, doors no longer fit, nose is cut of in a drug induced haze cuze he "though" it looked wrong. then he ends up smashing my second car in the shop, and wont pay for it. he welds like a monkey, over heating everything, then quenches it in cold water to make the warps more defined!
Stay away from Rennsport Vintage Werks in Pleasanton CA, the guy is ready to wreck your car (between getting stoned) and have you pay for it. He will come across as a pro, but talk is cheap, the results speak for themselves. run away!!!!!
Expensive leason learned.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.