Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pictures of car w/removed engine shelf sheetmetal?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I thought I've seen this modification before on here, but I cannot find the pictures.

On my car the pass. side sheetmetal was hacked for an A/C installation. I'm debating repairing it or removing it completely.

Since my engine tin will be cut and trimmed as well, I don't see any real reason to keep the sheetmetal on the sides
McMark
It's not very difficult to remove that piece. A few spot welds and some well placed cut with a cut-off wheel and it's gone.
dmenche914
Mike: i replaced an engine shelf once, was not too difficult with a MIG welder. If you run an aircooled motor (either 6 or 4 banger) the shelf need be sealed, either with a new shelf, or some sort of patch, else the cooling fan will draw hot air from under the car. If you add a water pumper engine, then it is only cosmetics that are a concern.

I found with a VW (kit car) a huge temp difference with verses without all the stock cooling tin that seals the engine compartment, something on the order of at least 50F head temp, and simular on oil temps.

HPH probably can get you a new part, or maybe even one from a parted out car for less money.

By the way, how is the 1.8 engine? hope it is working good for you. let me know

dave menche
bernbomb914
restoration design has a piece to replace that piece it is not diffecult to do, look at my earless piece for pics.

Bernie
bernbomb914
xx
Jeroen
Here's one...

cheers,

Jeroen
Korijo
Heres mine removed...

IPB Image

and replaced. battery will be moved...

IPB Image
Chris914n6
My favorite site smilie_pokal.gif there's a few from different angles in a bland primer.

Chris
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.