Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CNC lathe anyone?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
So, old customer of mine is consolidating there massive production facility. Offered me a decent Miller MIG today, probably take that buts it's just way to much for a garage machine (especially if I get my dads TIG). I'll trade that one for a good 110 unit. Anyways, they also offered me several very nice, good running Okuma CNC lathes. I have no shop, or three phase. Starting price on these nice machines is 4K. These were 100K new in the late 80's early 90's. Not huge machines, could fit in a garage, but they are also not bench top machines. Average weight of these is probably 8000 pounds. The LB12 still holds .0002" all day long, and I know the history of these machines as I installed most of them new. I'ts a deal for some good running equipment. He has a couple CNC mills as well, but no way those would fit in a average garage.

Just a heads up, always trying to help people make more 914 parts!
Mikey914
QUOTE(underthetire @ May 20 2010, 06:46 PM) *

So, old customer of mine is consolidating there massive production facility. Offered me a decent Miller MIG today, probably take that buts it's just way to much for a garage machine (especially if I get my dads TIG). I'll trade that one for a good 110 unit. Anyways, they also offered me several very nice, good running Okuma CNC lathes. I have no shop, or three phase. Starting price on these nice machines is 4K. These were 100K new in the late 80's early 90's. Not huge machines, could fit in a garage, but they are also not bench top machines. Average weight of these is probably 8000 pounds. The LB12 still holds .0002" all day long, and I know the history of these machines as I installed most of them new. I'ts a deal for some good running equipment. He has a couple CNC mills as well, but no way those would fit in a average garage.

Unfortunately allot of the manufacturing has moved overseas, however there has been allot of opportunity to pick up these machines. I'm using one now, a more automated mill, but they do require maintence that the previous owners had put off as times were tight. So, yes you can get some good values on these, just make sure you get one that's in good shape.
underthetire
[quote name='Mikey914' date='May 20 2010, 07:01 PM' post='1321541']
[quote name='underthetire' post='1321536' date='May 20 2010, 06:46 PM']

[/quote]
Unfortunately allot of the manufacturing has moved overseas, however there has been allot of opportunity to pick up these machines. I'm using one now, a more automated mill, but they do require maintence that the previous owners had put off as times were tight. So, yes you can get some good values on these, just make sure you get one that's in good shape.

Well, I agree. Seen some junk for sure. I know the maintenance history and the shop manager very well. These really are top shelf machines. Japanese built, probably one of three of the best brands still today.
RJMII
Are the mills 3 phase, or 2 phase? How much are they going for?

I'm trying to get a local machinist to go CNC in the airport hangar he works out of. I think he's got room, or could find room.
underthetire
3 phase, but the two mills are a little loose, but run-able. One is an Okuma mc4v, the other is a Mori Seiki Mv45/40. Probably pick those up for about the same. Problem is the trucking bill to you would be high.
RJMII
Would they fit on a flatbed car trailer? just one of them at a time? tandem axle unit? How heavy?
underthetire
Both are very stout. I would guess basing on the 6 brand new ones we got at work, about 14K pounds each. They both are full machining centers with 30 tool magazines. I would say you would need a sturdy trailer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.