Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New project for my CNC skills...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
RJMII
While I was out in PA visiting our friend Dr Evil, he gave me some drawings and basic description of an idea he had for doing a cable shift setup.

Now that I've had some practice with the CNC converted mini-mill making the emblems, I'm ready to make some cable shift parts.

Anyone got a tailshifter that I could borrow, have, or trade some emblems or bolts or other parts for?

Is there interest for cable shift setup? What would be reasonable cost for going cable shift? how much would you be willing to pay for parts, and how 'together' of a kit would you expect?
sww914
We can always go sideshifter for a 901. I'd say if you could develop a cable shifter for a 915, a G-50, and/or a turbo tranny there would be more demand if you can beat the WEVO type setups in price and have yours work as well as theirs.
I don't have any details about whether it can work or not, I haven't thought about it at all. I do know that the former owner of 914club always said he was making a setup to use a Boxster cable shifter but I never saw one completed. Inexpensive off the shelf components are good if you can use them. Dr Porsche did a lot of parts sharing.
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif

My design could make a tail shift like butter wink.gif (if it works, Jim is gonna test it smile.gif ).
lotus_65
i have a tail shifter you can use until you've got it worked out.
just send it back with one of your new kits attached!
smile.gif
thefleur
DBCooper
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 20 2010, 10:57 PM) *

popcorn[1].gif

My design could make a tail shift like butter wink.gif (if it works, Jim is gonna test it smile.gif ).

And tail shifters are like a dime a dozen. I'm HUGELY impressed with how well cable shifters work, so if you can make a linkage that's competitive with the cost of changing to a later side-shift you'll be golden. Not only that but if you get the basics down you should be able to adapt to make linkages for side shifters, 915's, 930's, Subarus, etc. Even those Fiero/Pantera guys are looking for new solutions. I say go for it.
J P Stein
My.02
Any trans with the Porsche syncro mechanism will never "shift like butter", Doc.

If you've never looked into a Borg Warner syncro set up you should do so.....that's what Porsche uses now days. The old T-10 from the 50's does shift like butter.
By comparison, the Porsche system is laughably complex and ineffective.

A trick shifter on a 901 is like putting lipstick on a pig.
ottox914
Any thoughts/plans to do this for us side shifter guys as well? I would think with all the different tail shifting options for our 914's, as well as other cars, kit cars, sand rails, there might be a market, but I wouldn't think you could quit your day jobs just yet. Very curious to see what you some up with mechanically, how it works, and how it is priced.

Yes, it may be lipstick on a pig, but pretty lips is pretty lips.
zymurgist
QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 21 2010, 08:04 AM) *

My.02
Any trans with the Porsche syncro mechanism will never "shift like butter", Doc.

If you've never looked into a Borg Warner syncro set up you should do so.....that's what Porsche uses now days. The old T-10 from the 50's does shift like butter.

My Corvette has a T-10 and it shifts nice. I wouldn't say "like butter" as I would reserve that praise for the Acura and (yes!) the Neon R/T. I could snick either one of those trannies into gear with 2 fingers all day long. The T-10 requires a more firm hand... hmmm, OK, I'd say it shifts like refrigerated butter.
J P Stein
QUOTE(zymurgist @ May 21 2010, 05:49 AM) *

QUOTE(J P Stein @ May 21 2010, 08:04 AM) *

My.02

My Corvette has a T-10 and it shifts nice. I wouldn't say "like butter" as I would reserve that praise for the Acura and (yes!) the Neon R/T. I could snick either one of those trannies into gear with 2 fingers all day long. The T-10 requires a more firm hand... hmmm, OK, I'd say it shifts like refrigerated butter.

A firm hand indeed. As an old ( literally) drag racer I learned to "power shift" on the T-10.....parts were cheep back then biggrin.gif . Butter had nuthin' to do with that but the mechanics of the syncros sure as hell did. Downshifts were smooth as butter as violence wasn't required.

One could add the Miata to your list. My cable shifted 93 MR2 turbo doesn't fit.
RJMII
QUOTE(ottox914 @ May 21 2010, 06:20 AM) *

Any thoughts/plans to do this for us side shifter guys as well? I would think with all the different tail shifting options for our 914's, as well as other cars, kit cars, sand rails, there might be a market, but I wouldn't think you could quit your day jobs just yet. Very curious to see what you some up with mechanically, how it works, and how it is priced.

Yes, but I've got one of those under the workbench already. wink.gif I'm hoping to have one on my car for RRC-10 that is fully functional and in use. I'm wanting to get the measurements and draw them both up at the same time, get the cables sorted at the same time, etc.

I'm starting now so I can meet my goal and have the process ready for next winters' project lists.
Dr Porsche did a lot of parts sharing.

You mean George? That Dr? If he doesn't take notice of this thread, I'll have to PM him. I'd like to use off-the-shelf parts as well, and I'm planning a pick-n-pull option also.

J P Stein
QUOTE(ottox914 @ May 21 2010, 05:20 AM) *

Yeah but would you wanna wake up with it sleeping on your arm?
You'd see how much coyote you had in ya. shades.gif
Dr Evil
Jim, he meant Dr. Porsche, not Dr. 914. rolleyes.gif

JP, I disagree. I have built many boxes that shifted like butter. The new synchro bands actually work against this as they are too stiff, but with awesome used synchros the shifting is amazing.
underthetire
Yer gonna need a bigger mill!

THink I found a good size one for ya. It's the size of the large table bridgeport, no tool changer but is "quick" change. Has almost no time on it at all, and is only about 4 years old. I'll keep ya posted. I get first pick on it.
RJMII
Dr Evil; Ohhhhh. I was thinking George offered someone else doing R&D help with parts on the R&D. now I understand. smile.gif (it's still before noon here)

Jeff, thank you! So far all of the parts are small enough to do on my tiny mill... but I still need a bigger mill. biggrin.gif
ClayPerrine
If you are going to re-engineer the 901 shift setup to use cables, why not integrate a sequential shift setup while you are there. Then we can guarantee no missed gears....... driving.gif

All you need is a properly made drum to select the gears for you, and a detent mechanism.

Here is an example of what I am talking about.... http://www.nengun.com/ikeya-formula/sequential-shifter

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.