Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Console voltmeter question--shows discharge when headlights on
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
kpfoten

Finally got the 914 started and driving!

I've got a center console and the voltmeter which shows that the battery is charging at idle. The battery itself shows a charge at 13.6v (ballpark) at idle.

When I turn the headlights on, the voltmeter in the console swings to the left (like in the 8 volt area). When I test the battery this way, it gives me a reading of 12.8v or so.

Any answers?
type47
I think the console gauges are notorious for being inaccurate. I'd say if you measured the voltage at the battery and it's in spec, it's OK.
rick 918-S
Disconnect the cables from the battery and test it as a stand alone. If your test meter say's 12.8 I'd say you have a failing regulator or another issue other than the gauge. I'm no expert but you may be running on the battery with headlights on.
detoxcowboy
when the car is running the volt gauge has more to do with the charging system, second vote on the voltage regulator issue..
Cap'n Krusty
The gauge reads off the fuse box. A notorious bit of eye candy. Take readings off the battery posts and compare with the gauge.

The Cap'n
rwilner
FWIW -- my voltmeter dances whenever I turn on anything electrical: brake lights, turn signals, headlights, wipers. This alarmed me at first but responses from the group here and over at club informed me this was expected and normal.

If your gauge reads 13.5 to 14v when all elec accessories are off, my guess is you're good to go.
underthetire
agree.gif

Mine will show 8-10 volts at idle with the light on and brake light on. Never had a dead battery.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.