Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: tach pegged with key on.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
TheCabinetmaker
Just reinstalled a new engine in a car. First turn of the key to on. Tach pegs, blinker light comes. Wires are hooked up properly at the coil.
What gives?
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 21 2010, 08:06 AM) *

Just reinstalled a new engine in a car. First turn of the key to on. Tach pegs, blinker light comes. Wires are hooked up properly at the coil.
What gives?

Low battery voltage.
TheCabinetmaker
Just took it off the charger. New Optima.
TROJANMAN
With or without the car running?
TheCabinetmaker
Measures 12.8 volts
TheCabinetmaker
Not running
SLITS
Check fuse #8 or #9 ... can't remember which.
TheCabinetmaker
checked and rolled all fuses. Bad relay maybe?
TheCabinetmaker
No oil pressure or alternator light either.
realred914
pull the ignition wire and tach wire off the coil and see if that makes a differeance. do one at a time to test. there is somethign funny in the ignition circuit I guess, and I'd look at stuff that got moved with the engine install (ie stuff in the engine bay)

good luck
McMark
I would say coil wires are the first thing to double check.
McMark
Also check the 12-pin connector on the relay board. It can be installed one pin off.
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(McMark @ May 21 2010, 11:11 AM) *

Also check the 12-pin connector on the relay board. It can be installed one pin off.

12 pin was one of my first things to check.
Dave, already did that too. No difference. I know something is wired wrong, I just can't find it (YET).
TheCabinetmaker
OK, Tach went back to normal, blinker indicator glows dimly, and no oil pressure light whith key turned on, but alt light works. I'll keep chasing.
TheCabinetmaker
Update: bad oil pressure switch replaced with new, light works. dim blinker light went out, and tach peged again. Owner now tells me its done it before. I'll stick in another tach and see what happens. I did crank the engine and it started on the first turn. Yea!
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 21 2010, 08:50 AM) *

And just what relay would that be? There are no relays anywhere in those circuits.

The Cap'n
charliew
Can you get the coil wires reversed?
TheCabinetmaker
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 22 2010, 09:17 AM) *

QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 21 2010, 08:50 AM) *

And just what relay would that be? There are no relays anywhere in those circuits.

The Cap'n

Quite honestly I was just shooting in the dark. I already figured that out from the wiring diagram biggrin.gif
JamesM
My buddys car was doing this, turns out his entire harness had melted in the tunnel for some reason and was shorting. Start tracing your wires back from the tach and keep an eye out for anything that might be shorting out.

QUOTE(vsg914 @ May 21 2010, 07:06 AM) *

What gives?

rsrguy3
That was me, It really put a damper on my project, major bummer. The harness was intermittently melted, from firewall to instruments. Luckily, a couple of things, 1. it didn't catch fire 2. I had another car to pull a good harness from. The biggest bummer, I will not go through the stress of installing a harness into an un-restored tub. I do have a tub but it will require some rust repair and a fresh coat of new paint before the re-build. Nuthen like being forced to do it right.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.