Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Which vinyl weave is this?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sww914
I'm selling these door panels in the classifieds, I don't know if this is the early or late weave or what year divides them. What say you, vinyl gurus?
bigkensteele
75 - 76
Tom_T
agree.gif

Yours is often referred to as "Brickweave" (vs. "Basketweave" & "Perforated" in earlier years), but the smooth is always called "Leatherette", & this 75-76 is a different pattern & a bit thinner thant the earlier ones, & IIRC the 70-72 is another & 73-74 yet another (or 70-71 & 72-74? ~ George Hussey can correct me on the exact break years).

Another give-away on the 75-76 & 74 is that the seams in the brickweave & basketweave seat cushions & backs is heat seamed - whereas the 70-73 is stitched (where the horizontal "quilts" are)
McMark
I've always called it "squareweave".
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 21 2010, 07:39 PM) *

75 - 76

we call it basket weave. 75 76 only along with the vw bus and rabbit models of the era. That color is buckskin. 70 and 72-74 used brick weave (looked like stacked bricks) 71 was the unique one that used naugahyde (except for the dash face which remained brick weave) 70 was complimented with pebble weave smooth, 71 complimented by the same naugahyde, and 72-74 was complimented by smooth vinyl the same as the bmw models of the era. 75-76 used along with the basket weave, a thinner smooth material that was shared with the rabbits and the busses of the era.

(how is that Tom???)
Drums66
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 22 2010, 06:53 AM) *

QUOTE(bigkensteele @ May 21 2010, 07:39 PM) *

75 - 76

we call it basket weave. 75 76 only along with the vw bus and rabbit models of the era. That color is buckskin. 70 and 72-74 used brick weave (looked like stacked bricks) 71 was the unique one that used naugahyde (except for the dash face which remained brick weave) 70 was complimented with pebble weave smooth, 71 complimented by the same naugahyde, and 72-74 was complimented by smooth vinyl the same as the bmw models of the era. 75-76 used along with the basket weave, a thinner smooth material that was shared with the rabbits and the busses of the era.

(how is that Tom???)

Basket weave(of course)
DBCooper
I can't speak for the Porsche world of fabrics, but in the VW world that's called squareweave, not basketweave. Here, from the TMI website, swatch number 26 "Tan" in the section "VW Squareweave Vinyl":
IPB Image
You can see from the pattern why it's called "Square" weave. This, on the other hand, is what's called basketweave:
IPB Image
And you can see why from the pattern. This one is swatch number 95 on the TMI website (http://www.tmiproducts.com/volkswagen/swatches.html), it's the "Saddle"color from the "VW Basketweave Vinyl" section of swatches. You can also look them up by applications, and that info's also different than George's indications for VW's. World Upholstery calls these "early" and "late" Porsche basketweave, but TMI and Sewfine are the two main suppliers of VW upholstery and materials, so know what they're talking about. In the VW world. And if you're looking for those patterns you may have more success with the VW stuff than Porsche, they both used the same OEM but there were a lot more VW's made.

DBCooper
I got the TMI samples, and that tan is "VW Squareweave Vinyl" their product number 26 (the image above) is a perfect match for late 914's. I didn't get a basketweave (early 914) sample, but VW and Porsche were getting exactly the same materials back in the day, so I'd bet they're identical as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.