Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How do I seperate a hub from a rotor?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bwilless
I've got new rotors coming in tomorrow, so I took the old ones off today. I can't see how the rotor comes off the hub, I removed the 5-bolts, but they stay together. Do I need to take them to a shop to get them apart, or is there a trick?

I'm also installing break ducts and I have pieces that bolt behind the rotors. These parts have three holes and bolt to the strut/spindle area. Does anyone know what size bolts I need for these holes?

Thanks,

Brian
736conver
Two small screws on opposite ends. Sometimes they are nice and come out other times they are bitches and need to be drilled out. If you have an impact screw driver, the type where you hit the end with a hammer, that also helps.

I just did some this weekend. One came out by hand and the other I had to drill. Wouldn't even move with the impact driver. Drilling them is about as easy as removing them by hand. I always replace the screws when doing the rotors, even if they do come out by hand.
bwilless
Thanks for the reply. I just looked one over, and I could not find the screws. Where should I be looking?
bwilless
OK, one just fell apart. I guess I just had to wait for the liquid wrench to do it's job. I lubed the second one up some more.
TimT
Your talking front rotors right? Sometime just using a BFH and give the old disc a good whack will seperate them.

Why not just reuse the old bolts when you remove the old brake backing?

I believe they a M8X15 or something..
bwilless
The old bolts are not there. I tried going through my bucket of bolts but no luck. I even went to the hardware store, but came back with the wrong bolt again. If someone could tell me what I need, I would be greatful.
thesey914
The two screws mentioned above are only on the four stud discs.
914werke
I hada a simalar experiance. How do you break down the 911 fronts.
On a 914 fron You must remove the dust cap to acccess the spoindal nut and outer wheel bearing.
On the 911 front I cant get that dust cap off. Am I supposed to? Or do I simply remove the 5 retainig nuts from the hub first?
thesey914
Its a bit of a poor design really. You have to remove the hub first and then unbolt the disc from it. The wheel bearing cover just pry's off like on the four bolt. Wiggle it off with a large flat bladed screw-driver, first one side then the other until it falls off. Sometimes these have been really tight and I have managed to use a claw hammer to pry it off.
914werke
Thats the problem. On both the dust cap is ON THERE mad.gif
There is a notch in the hub where it looks like i designed as a pry spot but mine arent budging.
So removing the 5 nuts holding the hub to the disk wont do nuthing? I gotta get the dust cap off first?
bwilless
Your correct. Keep working on that cap, it will come off.
Eric_Shea
The two screws mentioned above are only on the four stud discs.

2 screws are on the 5 lug "rears" as well. There's also a couple blank holes that you can screw an M8 bolt into... this effectivly "pushes" the rotor off the hub (if we're talking rears). On the fronts you need to take the entire hub/rotor assembly off and remove the 5 bolts holding the rotor to the hub. And yes... this means getting the dust cap off. They're a pain in the ass sometimes. I think it's the steel/aluminum thing. Apply lots of heat and use the two screw driver pry-bar method shown in the manual. Get new bolts with washers and lock washers... 8.8 grade.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.