Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: brake pad question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
underthetire
99% street/dd car. Don't think i need to spend the $ for Porterfields, since this car has and probably will never, see a AX. I don't want the super cheap FLAPS organic pads either. Something in the middle maybe. The flaps here has a semi-metalic for about 20 bucks, but I know nothing of them. Anyone have recommendations? I'd hate to call Eric and bug him on something so trivial.
BigDBass
Not too long ago I replaced my front pads with the Jurid "OEM" ones and, while they stop just fine, they are noisy and create a ridiculous amount of dust. I HATE them! The Porterfield R4-S pads get rave reviews for street and are supposed to be low dust and quiet, so I just bought them (on sale from Eric/PMB.) They're not really much more expensive than the ~$45 Jurid/OEM front pads.
Nürburg Nomad
Hawk HPS without question, see Tire Rack link below;

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brakes.jsp?...&perfCode=S

I would challenge anyone to find a better all around brake pad than the Hawk HPS (High Performance Street). Hawk pads are also engineered and manufactured in the USA under tight quality control unlike many brake pads today.

I've run through more than my fair share of "performance" brand brake pads and most are either no improvement over OEM, or bite like crazy and leave your wheels; and quarter panels covered in brake dust.

The Hawk HPS is VERY low noise, only a slight increase in fine brake dust over OEM and braking performance is noticably increased. Additionally the pads still surprise me how easy they are on rotor wear, and how long they last given extremely aggressive braking; i.e. frequent 100-0mph stops. Try them out, you'll be sold for life.

Otherwise... if want the most aggressive street compound that doesn't have to be heated up to reach full potential the Hawk HP+ pads bite more but also create a noticably higher amount of brake dust and goes from next to no brake noise to squealing and such due to the more aggressive compound.

Currently my 914 has Hawk HP+ on the front and Hawk HPS in the rear (but I'm also using 3-Series calipers on the front)

But don't take my word for it; the reviews on Tire Rack speak for themself! biggrin.gif
Tom_T
PMB, AA, Pelican, PP/Automotion, SMC, etc. all carry the OEM & one step up pads for our 914s, & the OEM's can be from other mfgrs. than Jurid - if those squeal & are too dusty. I've heard that the Mintex are okay for dd duty, which was what I was going to go with before talking to Eric about the R4S ones.

That said, since I'm redoing everything else in my resto (19mm 914-6/911 MC, OEM hoses, hard lines as needed, rotors & Eric's calipers F&R), I'm going to pop the extra for the Porterfields myself just to have better braking around town to try to avoid the idiots! dry.gif

$65 vs $30 +/- is worth it to me, relative to the cost of all the rest new or restored! smile.gif
tat2dphreak
porterfield R4s... I love em. they stop on a dime, no squeal, and no dust.
ChrisFoley
QUOTE(Nürburg Nomad @ May 22 2010, 04:03 PM) *

I would challenge anyone to find a better all around brake pad than the Hawk HPS (High Performance Street). Hawk pads are also engineered and manufactured in the USA under tight quality control unlike many brake pads today.

I sell KFP pads because I like the way their race pads have performed on my race car for more than 10 years.
I have a set of their street pads on my dd right now and they are great! No noise, low dust, good bite, rotor friendly, and made in the USA! KFP is the original mfr of carbon/kevlar pads.
They are more $$ than Porterfield (mfr stipulated that I must sell them at list price) but I think they are a very good value based on how long they last.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.