Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: headlight chrome ring screws
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
I just scored a deal on a pair of H4 headlights. While I wait for them to arrive I remember that the screws that hold the chrome ring which holds the headlight were in poor shape. So does anyone know what size those screws are ? I'd like to find some SS screws locally if possible maybe Ace or HD or Lowes ? It's a 1975 if that matters.
Tom_T
QUOTE(rfuerst911sc @ May 22 2010, 01:11 PM) *

I just scored a deal on a pair of H4 headlights. While I wait for them to arrive I remember that the screws that hold the chrome ring which holds the headlight were in poor shape. So does anyone know what size those screws are ? I'd like to find some SS screws locally if possible maybe Ace or HD or Lowes ? It's a 1975 if that matters.

I already posted a reply on your 914club one, but check that & the screw sizes are given in the 914 PET parts catalog (free download from Porsche website under their Classics section if you've not done so already), then try the local hardware store or larger connectors suppliers. IIRC the AA ones I got are SS, & a bit more than I'd pay locally, but it saved me time & gas to find them.
EdwardBlume
They are small and worth getting right since they hold the bulb in...
detoxcowboy
size, m4 available at ACE in SS.. take one OEM with you to double check the length and width and pitch.. and what I do is find a nut that fits the OEM to ensure choosing the right SS replacements for all and any bolt nut ect. ensuring not only width but thread pitch on the car, then you can visually compare lengths there are a couple of "VW" bolts that have a different thread pitch than you can get at Ace, but it is a rareity, and most thread pitches are standard and tyhe larger bolts usally have 2 pitches to choose from but not so with the M6 and smaller.. .. For the headlight retaing screw we are talking about I use the M4 "Allen Heads" in Stainless Steel.. Also I have been to many different aAce's and generally they car more or less same same base of either SS or Hardened Metrics. But some also have differnt selection available in metric's even Automotive such as cyl;inder head exhaust hanger bolt's or CadPlated lIcense Plate Screws in Metric..

M4 is the 4mm ect. M6=6mm and M8=8mm ect ect..
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 22 2010, 06:19 PM) *

size, m4 available at ACE in SS.. take one OEM with you to double check the length and width and pitch.. and what I do is find a nut that fits the OEM to ensure choosing the right SS replacements for all and any bolt nut ect. ensuring not only width but thread pitch on the car, then you can visually compare lengths there are a couple of "VW" bolts that have a different thread pitch than you can get at Ace, but it is a rareity, and most thread pitches are standard and tyhe larger bolts usally have 2 pitches to choose from but not so with the M6 and smaller.. .. For the headlight retaing screw we are talking about I use the M4 "Allen Heads" in Stainless Steel.. Also I have been to many different aAce's and generally they car more or less same same base of either SS or Hardened Metrics. But some also have differnt selection available in metric's even Automotive such as cyl;inder head exhaust hanger bolt's or CadPlated lIcense Plate Screws in Metric..

M4 is the 4mm ect. M6=6mm and M8=8mm ect ect..

Excellent response thank you. I like the idea of Allen head vs. phillips screw head much better tool engagement. I was guessing it was near a 4mm but wasn't sure. To be honest I didn't re,ember them being machine thread I thought they were like a sheet metal thread. I will take one with me as you suggested. beerchug.gif
type47
I used socket head bolts like mentioned above aktion035.gif M4's maybe?
rfuerst911sc
Today I pulled one of the screws from the headlight ring and went to Lowes. I found allen head screws after matching up the threads. They didn't have stainless so I bought regular steel. The package I bought has the following info : Hillman socket head cap screw M4-.70X10. Yes they are a little longer than OEM but no interference when tightened. I gave them a good coat of silicone grease and installed my new H4's. The socket heads are so much easier to install because they " stick " to the wrench, they are much better then the phillips head screws. I had one screw that almost didn't come out the head was so stripped. Will never have that problem again biggrin.gif . I now have brand new H4's for tomorrow morning as I drive to the first autocross with the GT clone ! piratenanner.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.