Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: finally drove with the top off
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rfuerst911sc
Today for the first time I drove my 1975 GT clone with the top off ! Car has been a project since December of 2006. I got her running in February of this year. She really sounds sweet with those Weber carbs barking and those headers feeding that M&K 2 in 2 out muffler. The wind in the hair felt great I can't wait to get her on the highway with the top off. It's the first time I've been in a car since high school with a top down experience biggrin.gif . It was a hot day in Florida today but having the top off felt really good. I know this is old news to most of you but for me it was a first !
watsonrx13
aktion035.gif

-- Rob
bcheney
Great news Rick! I remember the first time I drove my 75 914 with the top off....the year was 1983... second year of college...glad you had a blast today.. Are you gonna take the clone to Zonefest in Mount Dora this coming weekend? We'll be up their with our Targa. Hope to see you there.
johannes
Where are those pictures ?
jt914-6
Congrats on the topless drive....always use sunscreen though....What's really cool too is driving topless with windows up in the rain on the interstate and seeing everyone's face as they pass you or you pass them......priceless.....
Ian Stott
I'm 57 years old and each spring the first drive with the top off is soooo refreshing and it is one of the things I like so much about our cars. Yes I know exactly what you are talking about and good on you to have your car on the road to enjoy. You will many more top off days than me up here in Canada so call me envious!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(bcheney @ May 23 2010, 05:39 PM) *

Great news Rick! I remember the first time I drove my 75 914 with the top off....the year was 1983... second year of college...glad you had a blast today.. Are you gonna take the clone to Zonefest in Mount Dora this coming weekend? We'll be up their with our Targa. Hope to see you there.

Brian it looks like I will have to work this weekend sad.gif hot job to get out the door by 6/1. There's an autocross 5/30 and I don't think I can make that either !!! headbang.gif
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(johannes @ May 24 2010, 03:30 AM) *

Where are those pictures ?

Yes I am behind on posting pictures. Working 7 days a week for the past 3 weeks is cutting into my fun time biggrin.gif . I promise I will get some posted.
rfuerst911sc
QUOTE(jt914-6 @ May 24 2010, 04:18 AM) *

Congrats on the topless drive....always use sunscreen though....What's really cool too is driving topless with windows up in the rain on the interstate and seeing everyone's face as they pass you or you pass them......priceless.....

With the way it rains in Florida ( buckets in minutes ) this may not be an option. But I wouldn't mind trying before I install the new carpet biggrin.gif .
VaccaRabite
As long as you are going ~50mph, you can drive with the top off in a down pour and stay dry. I got caught topless this summer in a downpour and was fine, but you GOTTA keep moving.

Zach
carr914
You guys that don't live here in Florida, do not understand that the definition of Rain here is different.

1st of Rainstorms are easily monsoons, they will gush out water from 1 to 3 inches an hour. I have had recorded rainfall of over 12 inches in one day. You could drive you 914 @ 100MPH ( if it didn't hydro-plane off the road like a ground-based frisbee) and be soaked in no time at all.

2nd, Drivers Freak out during storms. Some people pull off the road, others will drive 40 in the FastLane - Quite a sight when you trying to 70.

I like driving in the rain ( racing too), but it is a supreme challenge here.

T.C.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.