Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Almost had it running but not getting fuel
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Geezer914
1975 1.8L with original fuel injection. I have totally gone over the car during the past year, replacing everything that needed replacing. I pulled the engine to repair some rust along the bottom of the engine compartment. I replaced the old plastic lines with new stainless lines in the tunnel, all new rubber fuel hoses, and filter, the PO had just installed a new fuel pump just before I bought the car. I drove it home and it ran fine. It starts with a blast of starting fluid, runs for a few seconds and dies. I can hear the fuel pump turn on and stop when I turn the key. I loosened the outlet line on the fuel pump and there was gas. I removed the fuel hose from the U shaped tube going to the injectors and there was no gas. Just to be shure I did not switch the inlet line with the return line, I used a Mighty Vac and was able to suck gas out of the line.

It seems the pump is not pumping when the car is starting, I should have had gas at the inlet line in the engine confused24.gif compartment???

How many turns out for the idle adjustment screw in the throttle body???

Help! It is finally off the jack stands and I want to get this car on the road! confused24.gif
avidfanjpl
Not that familiar with the 1.8, but my buds have had airbox problems which gave them headaches because the fuel pump runs off the airbox, being a hinged door that has a sweeping contact point that must be functional.

This is peculiar to the L Jetronic, but someone help the man out here!

John
Tom
You may have the lines reversed back at the engine bay.
Tom
Geezer914
If I had the lines reversed, would I be able to suck gas through the line???
Cap'n Krusty
L jet pumps don't cycle during the start up process. They run ONLY when the airbox flap moves, and the flap moves only when air is passing through. If you have ANY vacuum leaks, the car won't run. Look at the boot, the vacuum lines, and the oil filler cap seals (there are 2).

The Cap'n
Geezer914
Checked the vacuum lines and one was off the vacuum advance on the distributor. I was reading the post on fuel pump diagnosis and checked the relays. I was looking at the relay board diagram and my wireing diagram. The yellow wire was hooked up to terminal IV instead of terminal III. I switched the wire and it started up and ran! I shut it off to check for leaks. When I tried to start it again it would not start. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and it started. Let it run, shut it off and it will not start. Starter turns over but it will not fire up?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.