Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: steering wheel shaft bushing
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
VaccaRabite
IPB Image

This is the wheel layout that I have.

I have the corrugated bushing in place.

However, there is almost two inches between the bushing and the circlip that is supposed to hold it in place. The result is that the corrugated bushing keeps working loose and then three is a ton of slop in the steering.

So, whats going on? Something is not right.

IPB Image do I have the shaft from this set up? Do I need to get different bearings or something?

Zach
rick 918-S
Zach, I would just change the whole column. I just did this in the Revenna car. I used the only spare column I have or I would just send you one. You may have miss assembled it (or maybe the PO) Someone should have one for you.
URY914
There is a 928 steering colum bushing that Automotion used to sell that took up the slop. I got one on my race car. I'm sure someone knows where to get them now.
charliew
Zack I've done my 76 914 and also a few vw's. When I did one of them it had a metal bushing in place but it was also loose and had scooted up some. I put the bushing in with the lip down and I think I remember I put the bearing in on top of it in the column. On one of them I put a piece of pvc tubing, split to expand a little, in as a spacer I think. The 76 might be different than the earlier ones. Also one of them had the top bearing loose in the id for the metal bushing and I had to reuse a plastic bushing.
dem
I just rebuilt my column, and it had the repair "waffle shim" in there, it had a lip that would hold it in, sorta like an inverted top hat.

I bought the real bearing part, however some of the slop came from the bearing to pot metal interface, so I shimmed it with aluminum foil.

Nice and tight now, who knows how long it will last.

This helped me too:
http://www.performanceforum.com/wesvann/91...ing-column.html

charliew
The vw metal shims are also the same ones from what I remember.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 23 2010, 06:34 PM) *

I have the corrugated bushing in place.
However, there is almost two inches between the bushing and the circlip that is supposed to hold it in place.

The corrugated bushing is not held in place by the circlip ...

The bearing is held in place by the circlip. The metal sleeve needs to be wedged between the bearing and the shaft.

shades.gif Andy
VaccaRabite
Okay, so....

Do I need to remove the bearing, put in the corrugated bushing, and then replace the bearing?

SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 23 2010, 09:35 PM) *

Okay, so....

Do I need to remove the bearing, put in the corrugated bushing, and then replace the bearing?

No. All the bearings first (back and front). All circlips etc.
Then you slide the corrugated sleeve over the shaft and under the bushing. Tap it in until everything is nice and tight.
Done.

shades.gif Andy
URY914
I found a picture of the bushing I'm using.....

Click to view attachment
VaccaRabite
There. I fixed it.

Went to Home Despot. Got two 3/4 inch copper pipe couplers (they slide over the OD of the copper pipe, so are just a tad bigger then 3/4 inch), which are a PERFECT slip fit over the steering shaft. Measured, cut, put them on and replaced the circlip. Now there is no way for that corrugated bushing to work its way out again.

Zach
Gint
You can't lay out a Plaza Del Hogar fix and not post a pic or two. Come on...
VaccaRabite
Don't worry, I'll get pics. I had limited time last night and wanted to get as much done as I could before needing to come back in. Its totally ghetto, but it should work.

Zach
Gint
Works is all that counts... Looking forward to seeing the pics.
VaccaRabite
Its a big picture, but it has to be to show detail.

IPB Image

You can see the circlip, then the copper tube, and then the corrugated bushing (barely) and the bearing. This should keep the bearing from popping out again.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 25 2010, 08:20 PM) *

You can see the circlip, then the copper tube, and then the corrugated bushing (barely) and the bearing. This should keep the bearing from popping out again.

I never had to do this. Ever.

How far did you tap in the corrugated bushing when it was coming out again? idea.gif
It needs to be tapped in almost all the way.

I never had one coming out by itself ...
confused24.gif Andy
charliew
Damn Zach your gauges also moved around. It must be a alien magnetic field that you passed through or you parked it too close to the jeep.
Dr Evil
I cant wait to see this in person. I havent had time to pay attention to you (sorry honey). I guess this will be another mystery to solve when I come over this weekend. rolleyes.gif
jaxdream
Bearing coming out ?? Maybe the snapring that holds the bearing in the turnsgnl / wiper switch housing is missing ?? That is what holds the bearing in , not the bushing .The bushing goes down inside the inner race of the bearing around the shaft taking up the play between the shaft and the bearing inner race. Check to see if the snapring is missing and there is indeed a grove for the snap ring , it could have broke off / chipped.

Jack / Jaxdream
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 25 2010, 10:44 PM) *

I never had to do this. Ever.

How far did you tap in the corrugated bushing when it was coming out again? idea.gif
It needs to be tapped in almost all the way.

I never had one coming out by itself ...
confused24.gif Andy

Mike installed it the first time, when he rebuilt my steering column back in - what - 2007? Then it popped out while i was driving and hit a series of bumps (PA roads are oh so grand).

So I went and tapped it back in with a hammer and screwdriver. Tapped it as far as it would go until it started to deform. lasted for a few months, until i was driving to Hershey last month. Hit more PA roadbumps (also just called I-83) and it popped out again.

Damn Zach your gauges also moved around. It must be a alien magnetic field that you passed through or you parked it too close to the jeep.

I have a smaller then stock steering wheel. They are clocked so that i can see them. Fairly common.

I cant wait to see this in person. I havent had time to pay attention to you (sorry honey). I guess this will be another mystery to solve when I come over this weekend. rolleyes.gif

Heh. It will work, keep the bushing from popping out when I hit rough roads. Hopefully the only things we have to do this weekend will be weld up stuff for your bus and cook meat on the grill. I'm going to pick up the stock tonight after I go meet my new niece.

Bearing coming out ?? Maybe the snapring that holds the bearing in the turnsgnl / wiper switch housing is missing ?? That is what holds the bearing in , not the bushing .The bushing goes down inside the inner race of the bearing around the shaft taking up the play between the shaft and the bearing inner race. Check to see if the snapring is missing and there is indeed a grove for the snap ring , it could have broke off / chipped.

I am 90% sure I say the circlip holding the bearing in place. but i will be able to check that again tonight.

Zach
SirAndy
QUOTE(jaxdream @ May 26 2010, 06:16 AM) *

agree.gif

There needs to be a circlip above the bearing! The bushing simply makes for a schnugg fit of the inner race against the shaft. The bushing should not move once tapped in.

If the circlip is missing or not seated in the groove correctly, the whole bearing will move.

There should really be no need for your fix, although it seems to be working ...
biggrin.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.