Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: beach cruz
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
oldschool
Im getting a beach cruzer, does any one make a rack that fits the 914?
Tom_T
This is the Hardt Bike Carrier made for the 914s which I got for mine at Chip Iverson Porsche+Audi in 76 or 77. They occassionally go on sale here, 914club, TheSamba or eBay; but I don't know if anyone makes anything similar now. It's basic steel or aluminum plate & nylon straps to hold the handlebars & seat to the 2 mounts, so someone could fab them easy enough I'd think. You get 2 sets & mount a bike L&R each (or just one) using the under rollbar screw receivers also used on the ski racks.

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
Tom_T
.... here are the actual bits - I need to replace the straps after all these years myself! biggrin.gif

Click to view attachment

beerchug.gif
mepstein
I would not use any rack that rests on the sheet metal of a 914. It is too thin to support a rack. Beach crusers are very heavy.
lotus_65
this is what i did. off craigslist, you could do this for ±$100.

Here's what you need:
qty~4 "raingutter" style yakima towers.
or 2 raingutters & 2 "highrise raingutters".

qty~2 58" cross bars.

qty~ however many mounts you want. I have steelheads, but if you go with one that doesn't require removing the bike's front wheel, you might want the 2 highrise towers in the back or else the bike looks like it's riding up a severe slope. More importantly, you'll have to remove the bike if you want to access the trunk if you don't get the steelheads.

Mounting is directly on the back trunk lid, and is a bit of a pain. I scratched my paint a little dry.gif . It'll be heavy for the springs or shocks and you'll need a prop to help the springs keep the trunklid up, but I'm really happy with mine.

paul

Oh, and get locks for the mounts. I think it's a waste to buy locks for the towers also, but you DEFINITLY need locks for the bikes. pfb
realred914
used to see them a lot, but now days the trend is to go for the roof top mounts that stand the bikes up (really crazing getting a bike up or down from a 6 foot high SUV roof!!!!)

in the old days a common bike carrier was basically a U shapped hoop that connected to teh rear bumper at teh top of the U shaped hoop is two bars that stick out that can hold one or more bikes.

you may need to drill some holes in your bumper but heck, for this if you have a nice bumper, go buy a trasher bumper and mount the U hoop to it,

these racks work extremely well, no danger of dropping your bike on the roof or trunk lid, no more raising your bike above your head!!!

look for one of these old style ()old skool!!!) racks, no paint damage, a great thing.

I run one on my Bug.

dem
Or get a Brompton folding bike.. hey it actually fits in the 914 trunk (if you remove the spare tire board.)

IPB Image
Elliot Cannon
Here ya go. A Yakima tray clamps to the front bar and a wheel tie-down strap attaches to the rear bar. You have to remove the front wheel and clamp the axle to the front bar. The front wheel should fit in the front trunk. I had better pics with the bike mounted but can't find them.
siverson
Similar to others, this is what I did. It's an extra top I just leave it permanently attached to.

-Steve

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
orange914
QUOTE(siverson @ May 24 2010, 09:50 PM) *

Similar to others, this is what I did. It's an extra top I just leave it permanently attached to.

-Steve

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

my vote

what kind of stress is on the roof clamps?
bandjoey
With the weight of the cruiser I'd probably move the tray forward and fabricate fork mounts. Check out the Yakama www. They have lots of different mounts available.
Pictures when you're done biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.