Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: New Windshield
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mepstein
My local auto glass shop told me he can get a Chinese made windsheld for $200. Are there any other choices for new windshields? Thanks, Mark
detoxcowboy
Sigla is German Brand runs about $500-$700, THey stopped making Sekruit Brandfor the fr. windshield..
azbill
I have a PPG windshield. In my opinion a windshield is a windshield. If I remember right it was around $300ish.
realred914

For your own 914's sake, stay away from chinese made junk, generally stuff made in china is of poor qulaity, poor fit, and performance. Based strictly on the benifit to the 914 owner, chinese stuff is not worth the discount in price. There are plenty of other humanitarian reasons to not buy from china, but that is beyond the scope of what can be discussed here.

think quality and try to get an original window.
mepstein
ok... blink.gif thanks for that...

Let me rephrase. Are there any brands other than those from the Orient that I should be taking a look at and are there differences between windshield brands. Can I still get a PPG windshield? Thanks, Mark
jt914-6
I'm using a PPG too and really like it. It has a shaded band across the top of it. Attached is a pic of the numbers it has on it. I'm sure one of the numbers is a part number......probably the FW235....

Click to view attachment
underthetire
QUOTE(realred914 @ May 24 2010, 09:35 AM) *

For your own 914's sake, stay away from chinese made junk, generally stuff made in china is of poor qulaity, poor fit, and performance. Based strictly on the benifit to the 914 owner, chinese stuff is not worth the discount in price. There are plenty of other humanitarian reasons to not buy from china, but that is beyond the scope of what can be discussed here.

think quality and try to get an original window.

And that keyboard you just typed that on was made in china biggrin.gif poke.gif
736conver
Chinese windshields tend to be a little high in the corners.

Stick with PPG or sigla.

Tom_T
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 24 2010, 08:34 AM) *

Sigla is German Brand runs about $500-$700, THey stopped making Sekruit Brandfor the fr. windshield..

I was told recently by someone who should know, that the Sigla &/or Sekurit for 914s is now made in their plant(s) in Chine nowadays.

I'm not sure, but it might have been Hans L. with production #1 914-6 who told me that - since my half-zymers is blocking the memory! blink.gif

PPG may be made over there now, as is most of the steel used today!

I think you're okay if you stick with a major brand, so long as they pay attention to QA / QC wherever they're mfgd.
'73-914kid
I know my windshield was replaced 5 years ago with a new PPG piece. Looks really nice, but the blue visor strip detracts from the original vintage look of a completely bare piece of glass. Other than that though, the PPG windsheild fits great from what I can see.
Tom_T
QUOTE('73-914kid @ May 24 2010, 04:17 PM) *

I know my windshield was replaced 5 years ago with a new PPG piece. Looks really nice, but the blue visor strip detracts from the original vintage look of a completely bare piece of glass. Other than that though, the PPG windsheild fits great from what I can see.

Before presuming that yours nor anyone else's had plain/clear glass - you'd better check your COA &/or window sticker, cuz they also came with tinted windshields & side glass as well - esp. CA & hot state 914s.

My early-73 2L had "tinted Glass All Around" option (windshield & sides - not rear glass ever) & had the green band at the top of the OE Sekurit windshield when I got it in Dec 75 (was replaced in the late 70's with PPG due to rock hit).
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(736conver @ May 24 2010, 03:42 PM) *

Chinese windshields tend to be a little high in the corners.

Stick with PPG or sigla.

agree.gif the fit is a bit funky on the chinese version, and after installed there will be gaps in the chrome trim, I went and bought a nice used sigle, and you could tell the difference right away on fit..
Lennies914
I just had a new windshield installed two weeks ago barnd "XYG" (maybe chinese) and it fits great. I opted to spend the extra $30.00 for the green tint strip. The glass was $190.

No complaints so far.
zonedoubt
Sigla available from dealer.
bandjoey
I picked up a good used OEM windshield last summer from a parts car for $100. Check the classifieds here and the other usual sites for someone dismantling one in your area. It was a much easier install than I thought. With a helper and Harbor Freight glass suction cups, it dropped right in. Got the new spacers and clips from Pelican and my old trim snapped right on. monkeydance.gif
mepstein
FYI - Just checked with my local Porsche dealer. Porsche Germany - PAG- has #41 windshields in stock. $484.21 Not too bad...

Parts guy said China made windshields will fit but sometimes gap a bit and require more fitting to get right.
Drums66
That thumb3d.gif be good info-
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(mepstein @ Jun 14 2010, 10:24 AM) *

FYI - Just checked with my local Porsche dealer. Porsche Germany - PAG- has #41 windshields in stock. $484.21 Not too bad...

Parts guy said China made windshields will fit but sometimes gap a bit and require more fitting to get right.

I just picked up one (Sigla) from the dealer $449.00 after PCA discount. At the time (last week) there were 3 in the Atlanta warehouse. Now I just need to put it in - The windshield that is (for those of you with your minds in the gutter dry.gif)
Tom_T
QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Jun 14 2010, 04:30 PM) *

I just picked up one (Sigla) from the dealer $449.00 after PCA discount. At the time (last week) there were 3 in the Atlanta warehouse. Now I just need to put it in - The windshield that is (for those of you with your minds in the gutter dry.gif)

Our minds belong in the gutter! laugh.gif

Was it tinted or clear safety glass?? confused24.gif
Phoenix-MN
QUOTE(Tom_T @ Jun 14 2010, 03:55 PM) *

QUOTE(Phoenix-MN @ Jun 14 2010, 04:30 PM) *

Our minds belong in the gutter! laugh.gif

Was it tinted or clear safety glass?? confused24.gif

The parts guy said they had 1 tinted and 2 clear, I opted for clear since the rest of the glass is clear.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.