Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Setting dwell
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
zonedoubt
Do I disconnect the vacuum hose to the distributor when setting dwell like when setting timing? Or do I leave it connected?
Cap'n Krusty
The only reason to disconnect the vacuum lines is to remove the vacuum from the system. It will raise the idle, nothing more, when removed for setting the dwell. IOW, no. The Cap'n
realred914
QUOTE(zonedoubt @ May 24 2010, 09:53 AM) *

Do I disconnect the vacuum hose to the distributor when setting dwell like when setting timing? Or do I leave it connected?

dwell is not effected by the vacuum lines, the timing is, but not the dwell. dwell is set up by the pionts gap only.

one thing I highly recommend you do is convert to a Pertronix ignition, around $100 will get you dead nuts on timing every time (no more drift), no more worn parts to replace, and dwell is no longer an issue at all. you will be running at the timing you set it at each time. Very relaible system. and saves labour it is a set once and forget system (actually I have checked my timeing since putting on the pertronix, it has never ever drifted in a couple decades of use on several cars.)

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.