Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Please help me value my 914 Can Am LE Bumblebee for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Matt Monson
Hello,

I've decided that I really need to part ways with my bumble bee. When I bought it I thought I could pretty quickly and easily make it into my driver to give me my 914 fix while me '73 is in pieces. That turned out to not be the case. While it was advertised as having a freshly rebuilt engine in it, it never got sorted before it was sold to me. Right after I purchased it, I spent $500 on getting it running, which included rebuilding the distributor. But it still doesn't run right and I don't have the time or know how to work on the factory fuel injection.

Below are some pictures of the car pretty much how it sits. I started to rip off the 5 bolt conversion, both because they are drilled rotors and not really the right way to convert it, and because the Fuchs are fake. I was going to take it back to the correct 4 bolt design and find the proper wheels for it. I did find the proper front spoiler for the car, which, while slightly damaged, is original and will be included. The cars got some other issues here and there, and IMHO it needs another repaint and some repairs to some body work done previously. It's rust free and a super solid chassis aside from the left rear fender that's got way too much bondo in it. It's a good candidate for a restoration.

So what should I ask for this car? Any recent sales of cars in similar condition to reference? Thanks in advance for your input.

The car is listed on the registry with the COA. Car #14453 in Colorado. The picture there is how I found the car in Texas. It's pretty much unchanged from then.
http://bowlsby.net/914/CanAm/914CanAmRegistry.htm

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

dr914@autoatlanta.com
With a totally rust free never been hit chassis and clean original paint front and rear trunks and original fuel injection, the car has GOT to be worth $8500.00
Limited Editions are the next ones after the 914-6 models to really take off.
I may have some news about one of them in a few weeks.
Matt Monson
I don't think the paint is original on this one. It's way too glossy without enough orange peel. Plus given the fender bender on the left rear at least that section had to be repainted. Plus, you'll notice there is sail vinyl. A number of things on this car aren't correct or original, so there will be some work (and appropriate price adjustment) to make the car correct. But I bought it because I deemed it good enough to drive it for a few years until I could restore it properly or sell it to someone else who would do right by the car. The previous owner was trying to make a racecar out of it, which I think would be sin on something in this shape that's an LE.
IronHillRestorations
Is it truly a real LE? I didn't think LE's had the sail panel vinyl.
underthetire
Or chrome trim around the vinyl ?
KELTY360
QUOTE(Matt Monson @ May 24 2010, 11:37 AM) *

I don't think the paint is original on this one. It's way too glossy without enough orange peel. Plus given the fender bender on the left rear at least that section had to be repainted. Plus, you'll notice there is sail vinyl. A number of things on this car aren't correct or original, so there will be some work (and appropriate price adjustment) to make the car correct. But I bought it because I deemed it good enough to drive it for a few years until I could restore it properly or sell it to someone else who would do right by the car. The previous owner was trying to make a racecar out of it, which I think would be sin on something in this shape that's an LE.

I think what the Dr. said is clean original paint in the front and rear trunks, not OG paint overall.
Matt Monson
QUOTE(9146986 @ May 24 2010, 01:33 PM) *

Is it truly a real LE? I didn't think LE's had the sail panel vinyl.

IPB Image
Like I mentioned above, you can view the car on the LE registry. It's real. It's a bit molested, but it's real.

detoxcowboy
I think $8500 is a good price for the pedigree..
EdwardBlume
I think a stock bumblebee is worth more with the correct equipment. A modified bumblebee even though its modified to ME means someone didn't know what they had or worse, didn't care...

These days, there is only one way to know its true value, and thats to list it...

Good luck!
914rat
Spend the $5-$10k to get it restored and running properly and yea i'd pay $8500 for it.How much did you pay for it?That is prolly what it would sell for in this market.George you offering $8500?Dude sell it to him quick.
Matt Monson
QUOTE(RobW @ May 24 2010, 06:08 PM) *

I think a stock bumblebee is worth more with the correct equipment. A modified bumblebee even though its modified to ME means someone didn't know what they had or worse, didn't care...

I absolutely think this was the case with the owner 2 people back. The car came out of Oklahoma where it was supposed to have been sitting for a couple of years, at least. I don't think the owner in OK knew or cared what an LE is. The guy in Texas I bought it from knew but still didn't really care. He didn't get the COA on the car until he abandoned the racecar project and decided to sell it. I'm just really glad he did the rebuild to stock specs on the original case. I don't think I would have bought the car if the original engine was missing from it.

People may remember this car from Ebay in 2007. It was listed for several months at $6500 without selling before I purchased it and trailered it home from Houston.

Thanks for everyone's input. Keep it coming. It's appreciated.
underthetire
Cool, looks real !

Here is one local for sale.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/pen/cto/1756805867.html
TROJANMAN
LE's are just two toned 914's.

But if someone wants to pay you a premium for one, more power to them.

This car is going to need some work to get it back to LE status, which is why I don't think it is worth any more than any other 914 in similar condition.

It is probably worth what you paid for it.

Matt Monson
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ May 25 2010, 07:43 AM) *

LE's are just two toned 914's.

That's kind of the point I've reached emotionally with respect to the car. I'm probably going to end up dumping $5000+ into my '73 2.0l because that car has more of my heart in it. The Bumblebee would arguably be an easier project but I've only got the time and money for 1 project and the Orange Skittle, as the wife calls the '73, is the keeper.

Every hour I spend working on the bumblebee makes the car worth more money but every hour I spend on it is time I can't put into the '73. As a small business owner I just don't have the spare time to devote to these things that I used to when I worked for someone else. More than anything this drives my desire to sell. I don't have to sell the Bumblebee but I'm looking at it as the quick and easy way to cover the majority of my rust restoration and paint on the '73. The sale of the Bumblebee could move the '73 restoration forward a year in time by being in a position to pay someone to do a number of the tedious things I don't have the time to do myself. When I bought the Bumblebee I saw it as my driver while I restored the '73 and didn't have a 914 to drive. Now I see it as the means to get my '73 back on the road more quickly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.