Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: replacing the rear brake pads
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
looking at the pelican article on rear brake pad replacing, the pic shows a retaining clip that ain't on my car. (it's a 73) . i don't see them listed at AA or Pelican to buy. (that don't mean they ain't there, just that i can't find em). apparently, i have been driving for 5 years without em so my question is. do i need them?
also, is there a way to reomve the inside cover on the allen screw without removing the caliper?

Click to view attachment

zeezee
the retaining clips keep the pins from slipping out - you need them.
I was missing a couple and made clips from similar guage wire.

For removing the inside cover - there is a hole in the swing use a socket extension.

nycchef
QUOTE(zeezee @ May 24 2010, 02:49 PM) *

For removing the inside cover - there is a hole in the swing use a socket extension.

i did , i am starting to think it is stripped
MrKona

When was the last time that cover was removed? Keep in mind that there is a good chance that the cover you're trying to remove through the swing arm is rusted in place, and you'll strip the tiny 4mm Allen head. In that case, you'll have to remove the caliper and slot the cover with a Dremel tool, so that you can put a large flat blade in there. Good luck!
MrKona
QUOTE(MrKona @ May 24 2010, 04:14 PM) *

When was the last time that cover was removed? Keep in mind that there is a good chance that the cover you're trying to remove through the swing arm is rusted in place, and you'll strip the tiny 4mm Allen head. In that case, you'll have to remove the caliper and slot the cover with a Dremel tool, so that you can put a large flat blade in there. Good luck!

As demonstrated by the expert.

http://www.pmbperformance.com/page/page/1925687.htm

r_towle
Rich,
Its easier to pull the caliper if you need to get the bolt/cover off.

Rich
nycchef
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 24 2010, 06:09 PM) *

Rich,
Its easier to pull the caliper if you need to get the bolt/cover off.

Rich

that's what i'm gonna do, probably easier and safer in the long run. does anyone know what those clips are called? AA says they have them, but i can't find them on the website.
P.S. Rich
got the ride height sorted out and the carbs 90%, car runs like a monster except for no brakes, but i'm getting there
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.