Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Replacing Front Wheel Bearings
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
xperu
My last Autocross, the SCCA official said I may heve a problem with my left wheel bearing because when I pushed and pulled in the left wheel there as movement, my right wheel had no movement. The movement was not much, but noticable.
Any suggestion on bearing grease, or methods and suggestion? " Yes my lug nuts are tight" Thanks Mike
SirAndy
Did you try to tighten the bearing retainer nut?
A failing bearing is usually pretty noisy.

Checking the nut only takes a few minutes ...
smash.gif Andy
xperu
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 24 2010, 06:15 PM) *

smash.gif Andy

No Andy, I didn't think of that, ya know you are right; I'm thinking bolt and cotter pin, but now I remember the 914 configuration. I will deffently take a look tonight. Thank you Andy. idea.gif Mike
Whooooooo and I work at NASA too, lets forget the question w00t.gif
sww914
With the wheels up in the air, spin the wheel and listen. If you hear SSSHHHHHH everything is fine. If you hear grumble grumble grumble everything is not fine. The grumble grumble is quite distinct and will leave no question as to whether they're good or bad. You may doubt yourself with the SSSSHHHHHH but you won't wonder at all if it's a grumble.
underthetire
On this same question, I had taken mine out about 5K ago, re-packed and set them. After a couple "spirited" drives through the hills, I noticed they both became loose again. Locknuts were still tight. How often should ( we, I ) check them and is it normal for them to just loosen up. I just got new ones with some rotors I got from RJMII but I want to be sure.
SirAndy
QUOTE(underthetire @ May 24 2010, 06:25 PM) *

I had taken mine out about 5K ago, re-packed and set them. After a couple "spirited" drives through the hills, I noticed they both became loose again. Locknuts were still tight. How often should ( we, I ) check them and is it normal for them to just loosen up

If i have them off, i always double check them a couple of days later. They usually stay where they are, but every once in a while i need to add just a bit more after a few days.

If you need to re-tighten them every other week, something isn't right.
shades.gif Andy
orange914
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 24 2010, 04:15 PM) *

smash.gif Andy

worn bearings occasionaally can have proper tightning and still be loose (wheel movement) just from wear.

if after a bearing and race change, the bearing nut is tightened/pinned to the proper preload, then the wheel loosens up after some driving, it could be the races weren't fully seated.

mike
6freak
spin the wheel wile you tighten the nut ,when the wheel stops spining back the nut off 1/4 of a turn and your good to go .....thats if you have good bearings ..and remember dont mix grease types

MikeC
Elliot Cannon
Be sure you do not over tighten the nut. You should be able to slightly move the washer behind the nut with a screw driver. (As explained to me by a Porsche mechanic).
I have a friend who over tightened the nut on his VW. The first time he got on the freeway, his right front wheel took the first offramp. lol-2.gif
realred914
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ May 25 2010, 11:36 AM) *

Be sure you do not over tighten the nut. You should be able to slightly move the washer behind the nut with a screw driver. (As explained to me by a Porsche mechanic).
I have a friend who over tightened the nut on his VW. The first time he got on the freeway, his right front wheel took the first offramp. lol-2.gif

ditto that, some movement with a screw driver of the washer is how it should be. too tite is bad.

also install new grease with a plastic bag full of grease, but the new bearing in itwith grease,a dn kneed/squeeze away, your hands stay clean and the grease is pushed into all the tite spots.

have fun
mudfoot76
QUOTE(realred914 @ May 25 2010, 02:40 PM) *

also install new grease with a plastic bag full of grease, but the new bearing in itwith grease,a dn kneed/squeeze away, your hands stay clean and the grease is pushed into all the tite spots.

Nitrile gloves are also useful in this application. Otherwise, you will still need to find a way to get the bearing out of the bag and into the rotor without getting your hands messy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.