Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 15k, what to buy
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r_towle
Help me choose.
bigkensteele
I clicked 914/6 but my vote came out 911 - I don't know. If you can find a real 914/6 in restorable condition for $15k, that is where I would put my money.
tat2dphreak
what year M5 are you looking at for 15k? because I gotta tell you... an M5 is an amazing car... hell, even a 540... a coworker has a 540 with the sport pkg, and for a big car, it feels nimble, sporty and comfortable all at the same time... just a great car. one clutch in 125k miles... no issues.
tradisrad
i'm thinking Boxster, so this is an "other". The boxster is comfortable, quick, handles well and is a Porsche.....
rick 918-S
M5 or 740L
detoxcowboy
your looking for a dd, bmw is comfortable, or even the audi
Michael N
As a daily driver I'd go with a manual Audi S4. V8 power, all wheel drive, not as common as the BMW.
tod914
AMX
montoya 73 2.0
Audi for a DD.
Dr Evil
Other, hot dog cart.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 24 2010, 09:14 PM) *

Other, hot dog cart.

I'll up you hot dog cart with a Burrito truck!
roadster fan
I voted other......Boxster, low mileage cars can be had for well under 15K
Dr Evil
Mobile nut vendor stand?
montoya 73 2.0
Funnel cake van?
Elliot Cannon
Come up with another 5K and buy this one. lol-2.gif
Jakeodoule
Ice Cream Truck.
You'll be surprised how much fun you can have giving away free Ice Cream.
Check out my trip across the Sahara in one.....
www.creamytreats.com
Dr Evil
There may be a problem with Rich driving an ice cream truck. I think there are laws against such.
Tom_T
I voted M5 - but I really think the M3 is better with closer handling & power-to-weight of a 914-6, but with the cush of a DD cruiser without the extra size of the 5 series!
.... unless you need more room in that DD for other folks carted around!

Of course, my DD is a 1st year 6 in a 3-series, 85 325e - which I got new since I didn't have time to find a nice 2.8 or 3.0 CS/CSi - so I got it new hoping it would be the next 2.8/3.0 CS/CSi ....... still waiting! dry.gif
... but love the car even if later 3's have more scoot!
Eddie914
I voted 914/6. It would be a fun summer DD.

I have a '88 M5 for a DD in Seattle.

Eddie
johannes
I voted OTHER. I would buy a Boxster.
SUNAB914
Gold, only thing safe right now.
IronHillRestorations
I voted "other" meaning MY 38,000 mile Boxster! It's for sale and very nice Rich.
DRPHIL914
I voted other- boxter- i just passed up a 2002 for $9K couple months ago- 65,000miles- should have got it.
kharma
From the choices, I like the B6 S4. For me, it would be the avant. Almost got one until I drove the V70R, which is a FANTASTIC highway car. My first non-VAG car in 15yr... it hauls ass, and a whole lot more. biggrin.gif
JRust
I voted for other. I think a restored LE Creamsicle woulf fit the bill biggrin.gif

I happen to know where one is even. Of course I still haven't gotten it started dry.gif . I'm putting my dual carbs on it so hope to this weekend.

I'd vote for a boxter or an audi besides confused24.gif
turboman808
I wouldn't want to drive anything I had to worry about into NYC. It will get scratched every time you go into the city.

Just get a reliable beater.
nycchef
QUOTE(turboman808 @ May 25 2010, 07:30 AM) *

I wouldn't want to drive anything I had to worry about into NYC. It will get scratched every time you go into the city.

Just get a reliable beater.

i voted other, here's why. yopu can have mine for 5K and still have 10K for a matching tow truck
also, when are you coming to NYC? i may have a butt ooad of pulled pork and baby backs this weekend for any acomplished brake bleeders
Spoke
After owning an A6 Quattro, and another A6 Quattro, a Subaru Legacy AWD, another Subaru Legacy AWD, and an A4 Quattro, and a Volvo S60 AWD, I wouldn't buy another front or rear wheel drive car as a DD.

Even if it's only a handful of days to have to drive in the snow, I like the feeling of confidence that I generally will not get stuck in the snow.
montoya 73 2.0
QUOTE(Spoke @ May 25 2010, 09:14 AM) *

After owning an A6 Quattro, and another A6 Quattro, a Subaru Legacy AWD, another Subaru Legacy AWD, and an A4 Quattro, and a Volvo S60 AWD, I wouldn't buy another front or rear wheel drive car as a DD.

Even if it's only a handful of days to have to drive in the snow, I like the feeling of confidence that I generally will not get stuck in the snow.

agree.gif Go Audi for a DD. With all do respect, your asking for a DD especially in snow and rain.
Drums66
QUOTE(tradisrad @ May 24 2010, 08:43 PM) *

i'm thinking Boxster, so this is an "other". The boxster is comfortable, quick, handles well and is a Porsche.....

I must agree confused24.gif
Drums66
QUOTE(SUNAB914 @ May 25 2010, 04:22 AM) *

Gold, only thing safe right now.

Is'nt that the truth.....very much so. idea.gif
(platinum)
r_towle
While I understand the ease of driving an AWD in the snow, I have grown up with lots and lots of snow learning on RWD cars...never got stuck.
I fell in love with FWD once I got my first rabbit.

I think Nathan understands a bit more of where I coming from.

Here are a few more details.
I consider this an "airport car"
If it gets a ding in the parkinglot, I will be bummed, but only for a few minutes.
the roads up here suck ass. Lots of potholes.
Highway is a key factor.
No conv...that rules out a boxster
AC is a must.

I am a big guy. I like long wheelbase cars with lots of room to move the seats so I can do 3-6 hour runs....frequently.

I am leaning towards a 7 series beemer for all the comfort.
I am scared why they are so cheap (99-2001)
I need to research what the problems are.

Audi...I started looking at the A8 audis, the Phaeton (I really want one) and the 7 series last night...
I think value for the money...A8 seems to be slightly cheaper than the BMW...the Phaeton is still overpriced...15k for a Phaeton seems right to me considering I will have to wait for parts whenever it breaks.

Rich
turboman808
If your thinking more of a luxury car I would be all over an XJ. A really nice 86 or earlier will run 10-15. For a late 90s XJ8 or XJR you are probably looking at 15-20.

Way cooler then a 7 series any day. You lose head room but you look like a badass in a gangster car.

I would get an XJ myself but I am looking for something older to use on weekends. Mark 9, Silver Cloud or something.
charliew
I voted other, if you buy silver bullion you can always make it into bullets when things get really bad. If I had to buy a vehicle for 15k I would try to find a low mileage camry or accord.
FourBlades

Early Cayenne. Big. Comfortable. Haul lots of junk.

Still fun to drive.

That or $5K honda accord 4 door + 914 driver for autox, cruises, etc.

Driving a classic car to NYC is going to get it dented, stolen, dented,
abused, dented, and abandoned in an alley somewhere in NJ.

John
bigkensteele
QUOTE(r_towle @ May 25 2010, 02:28 PM) *

While I understand the ease of driving an AWD in the snow, I have grown up with lots and lots of snow learning on RWD cars...never got stuck.
I fell in love with FWD once I got my first rabbit.

I think Nathan understands a bit more of where I coming from.

Here are a few more details.
I consider this an "airport car"
If it gets a ding in the parkinglot, I will be bummed, but only for a few minutes.
the roads up here suck ass. Lots of potholes.
Highway is a key factor.
No conv...that rules out a boxster
AC is a must.

I am a big guy. I like long wheelbase cars with lots of room to move the seats so I can do 3-6 hour runs....frequently.

I am leaning towards a 7 series beemer for all the comfort.
I am scared why they are so cheap (99-2001)
I need to research what the problems are.

Audi...I started looking at the A8 audis, the Phaeton (I really want one) and the 7 series last night...
I think value for the money...A8 seems to be slightly cheaper than the BMW...the Phaeton is still overpriced...15k for a Phaeton seems right to me considering I will have to wait for parts whenever it breaks.

Rich

Given the concerns you mention above, you should consider buying my 2000 Mazda Millenia S. 200 and something supercharged horsepower, decent looks, and affordable ownership. Plus, I will be glad to make the $10k modifications of your choice to meet your $15k pricetag lol-2.gif

Assuming you aren't interested, if I were you, I would buy a Lexus or a Bimmer. Audis and BMWs both break, and cost a LOT when they do, but in my experience, Audis break a lot more. Axe me how I know.
zymurgist
One of my biker buddies has a Honda Odyssey. Very comfortable for a big guy, it's a highway vehicle, and it can carry a lot of stuff. Can't recall if it's his vehicle that they use to tow the motorcycle trailer down to Myrtle Beach, but I can ask him.
partsman
Anything can break alot.. not just Audi's... I've been driving quattros only since 1994, and that the only thing I'll drive... I put about 100,00-200,000 on the cars and the I sell them...

I would certainly consider a D2 A8 or D3 A8... or an 2000-2004 A6 with the V8... I have a '00 2.8 right now that you've seen Rich... hell I just got back from driving to and from Disney in my '04 A6 3.0 wagon.. Drove 19 hours straight to get there.. ONE Driver and I was fine at the end of the day.. Not everyone has to drive a damn BMW... not matter what Car and Driver says..
chocolate.curry
I voted 'other' because my DD is a 2004 9-5 Aero. Fast, comfortable, reasonable mileage and best of all I got it for $8K with 50K miles. Maintenance is also not a real big concern -- I think of it as a Swedish Camry.
Root_Werks
15,000 Lottery tickets!

I voted 914-6, why not, it's not my money! biggrin.gif
r_towle
QUOTE(partsman @ May 26 2010, 09:56 AM) *

Anything can break alot.. not just Audi's... I've been driving quattros only since 1994, and that the only thing I'll drive... I put about 100,00-200,000 on the cars and the I sell them...

I would certainly consider a D2 A8 or D3 A8... or an 2000-2004 A6 with the V8... I have a '00 2.8 right now that you've seen Rich... hell I just got back from driving to and from Disney in my '04 A6 3.0 wagon.. Drove 19 hours straight to get there.. ONE Driver and I was fine at the end of the day.. Not everyone has to drive a damn BMW... not matter what Car and Driver says..

Im driving a 5 series now and I am in love.
I forgot how good these cars are to drive.

I have owned audis and its the interior pieces that piss me off when all the switches stop working...btdt on a few audis and vw's.

I have not looked at the A8 lately, but I will.
I remember the seat in the 7 series is by far my favorite.
I recall the mercedes E300 seat was like a park bench....shocking considering its a mercedes.

We talked about your A6 last time...certainly a sleeper and underpriced.
That may happen...if I find a smoking deal.

Rich
Andyrew
Ohhh boy, from that list? Im definately going with a low mile Audi B5 stage 3 S4.. Either that or one w/ GT turbo's...

11 sec car w/ full interior is quite nice... Maintenence all up to spec they are pretty reliable.. However if your going for a DD the B6 v8's are certainly nice cars as well.. I would LOVE one for a daily.. however if I had to choose another Audi for a daily, it would be a A8/S8(Start looking for an S8, if you can find a low mile one and its in your pricerange and its been really well kept, GO FOR IT! No looking back at that, those are AMAZING cars!!

The super nice one's can be had for a song now adays...

Nick
w 124 500 e merc. Only made 500 a year for 3 years. Merc built by porsche.
sww914
Pizza truck.
partsman
hell, if you want my A6, I'll go buy a A4 Cab quattro I've been eyeing
JJ914GT
I have sold my 1970 Mercedes W114 250ce DD today, and bought a 1986 Porsche 944s.
White also, just like my 914.

Should be everyone's Daily Driver here I'd say ;-)

Here's a link to the car I've bought:
Porsche 944s 16v - Daily Driver
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.