914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
mipstien
what year and model is this engine? this is from this post
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?sho...57169&st=20
IPB Image
dlee6204
Appears to be a 73 2.0L
Cap'n Krusty
That appears to be a 1973 2 liter engine. A '74 wouldn't have that vacuum tap on the right side of the throttle body.

The Cap'n
dr914@autoatlanta.com
QUOTE(Cap'n Krusty @ May 25 2010, 06:48 AM) *

That appears to be a 1973 2 liter engine. A '74 wouldn't have that vacuum tap on the right side of the throttle body.

The Cap'n

actually early 74 models did until dec 31st 73 production Cap'n. Plus without the waffle patterned air cleaner it would be late 73 early 74 vintage.
mipstien
thank you all.
Tom_T
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 25 2010, 07:15 AM) *

The Cap'n

actually early 74 models did until dec 31st 73 production Cap'n. Plus without the waffle patterned air cleaner it would be late 73 early 74 vintage.

agree.gif

California's smog controls went by calendar year in some cases, by the state's fiscal year in others, by legislative passage or effective date in yet others, & very occasionally they'd even do us all the courtesy of aligning them with the model years! dry.gif

... that mess makes it harder to track when what was what, but the 914 PET does give >> (up to) ####### & ####### >> (from) engine case numbers on some of the parts to tease out where they fall roughly.

I recall that my buddy was able to use a 73 EFI D-jet throttle body on his late 73 build 74 2L (+/- Nov 73 mfgr date) when the throttle flap/TPS/etc. was fried in an engine fire/backfire incident! blink.gif
blowup.gif
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(dr914@autoatlanta.com @ May 25 2010, 07:15 AM) *

The Cap'n

We learned about the vacuum port delete in new model introduction class at P-car school. I dunno where my training log book is, but that had to be during the summer of '73 because I had my first 1.8 engine apart during the fall. There was one tech who decided to pass on the school because he knew it all. Nobody told him about the vacuum hose to nowhere ........ He must have spent 3-4 hours looking for a place to hook it up! All things considered, I don't think the 2 port production run went as late as the end of the calendar year, at least not for cars destined for CA.

The Cap'n
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.