Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Mounting fuel pump
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
theo
does anyone have some pictures of how they have mounted the fuel pump (for carbs) in the front trunk after relocating? thanks

Theo
EdwardBlume
I don't have pictures but I stuck mine foward of the spare tire on the passenger side and bolted it through the wheel well.
ME733
....Mounting fuel pump, sorry no pictures...mounting the pump with rubber soft mounts, available at most auto-parts stores, is important as it keeps the fuel pump isolated from vibration.-extends it,s life. one wire from the mounting bolts to the chassis for a ground...install a fuse inline for the hot wire...most pumps are designed as "pusher"pumps...therefore install a fuel filter between the pump and fuel tank...in a stock car you will probably find more room for everything on the right side, above the spare tire, on the inner fender well.I like to have all the stuff easily accesable,and checkable...it will all fit Below the spare tire ..storage shelf....for your consideration.
jt914-6
I don't have any pic either. I'm using a fuel cell but I mounted mine below where the stock tank would be anyway. It is close to where the lines go into the center tunnel. I have mounted two in the past in the cavity under the car where the large hole is cut out on the passengers side. It's easy to get to the line (s). Be sure to use the rubber vibration mounts to cut down on the fuel pump noise and to help the pump with vibration.....
Tom_T
On my 73 2L it was relocated up behind the steering rack & protected by the rack pan in 1977 per Porsche's reccos, by my factory trained independent 914 mechanic. This was preferable to locating under the fuel tank, because the pre-75 didn't have the access hatch/opening in the front trunk bulkhead to get at it if something went wrong.

However, it still ties in easily with the OE fuel lines from the tank to the tunnel, although they wired the new electrical under the passenger side rocker panel (no tubing unless AC), then along the floor pan seam, to under the steering rack cover pan. I'll relocate it to the tunnel in my shell/frame up resto though, along with new SS fuel lines (you should also consider the latter from Tangerine Racing - a vendor on here).

Mine is still the D-jet, but carbs or EFI - you'll want the fuel pump accessible & the steering rack cover is a heck of alot easier to remove than the fuel tank.

AA sells a complete kit & instructions for FP relo, but I don't know where they recco putting it, although I assume the kit works for the steering rack well/inset location in any case. BTW - they have the rubber isolators that Murray/me733 is talking about above.

I think that someone here probably has the Porsche Service Bulletin for the 70-74 fuel pump relocation that maybe they could post the pages for you. Maybe Jeff Bowlsby?? confused24.gif

Here's a pic of mine (yup - dirty after DD use 75-85 & in my garage 85-now), & th lines are accessed thru the factory hole for the fuel filter changes in 2nd pic -

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

Hope this helps!
popcorn[1].gif
detoxcowboy
drunk.gif no pics but mine is mounted like tom t. on isolators under the fuel tank by the steerin rack accesible from the skid plate 8 inches from the master cylinder ect.. but i have it wired coming through the wall behind the pedal cluster and through the tunnel out the rear fire wall up to the old wiring.. nothing is straped to the fuel lines under the tank.. and the filter is line from the tank feed to the pump then is is only 6 inches of hose connection to the feed and return lines right there in the opening under tank.. simple and not alot of fuel lines andf electrical rtunning around your spare tire ect..
Jeffs9146
Uhhhhhh do you see a problem in this photo? blink.gif

jcb29
Don't know which applies but here are two pages from the factory workshop manual. From the pictures a '72 pump seems to mount in the engine bay, passenger side. A '75 mounts behind and attached to the curved rectangular access panel that is low on the gas tank bulkhead, drivers side. Sorry, the jpg files don't seem to be loading - PM me and I'll send them to you.
underthetire
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 25 2010, 09:51 PM) *

Na, that just holds that steering thingy on. welder.gif
Nie Zu Alt
Even though it's a pump for F.I., this is how I mounted my pump in the front trunk. Stays nice and dry and easy to get to.

Click to view attachment
SirAndy
QUOTE(Jeffs9146 @ May 25 2010, 09:51 PM) *

My thought as well. Someone forgot the bolt for the steering rack when they removed the rack cover ...

Hopefully that was just removed to take the picture and then bolted back on correctly.
popcorn[1].gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Nie Zu Alt @ May 26 2010, 04:53 PM) *

Even though it's a pump for F.I., this is how I mounted my pump in the front trunk.

Wrong hose-clamps!

popcorn[1].gif Andy
Nie Zu Alt
Thanks Andy, I should know better. Hmmm, looks like something to fix this weekend.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.