Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Sand Blaster
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
saigon71
Thinking of buying a sand blaster to make short work of cleaing rusty areas (especially the nooks & crannies in the hell hole) Harbor Freight has one that I think should work, but I really don't know...anyone use one similar to this with decent results?

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-lb-capacit...ster-40925.html

Thanks,
Bob
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(saigon71 @ May 25 2010, 07:34 PM) *

Thinking of buying a sand blaster to make short work of cleaing rusty areas (especially the nooks & crannies in the hell hole) Harbor Freight has one that I think should work, but I really don't know...anyone use one similar to this with decent results?

http://www.harborfreight.com/20-lb-capacit...ster-40925.html

Thanks,
Bob

Stay clear.
I bought one. The first time it pressurized the plastic water trap EXPLODED. Then the hose mount on the bottom of the pressure pot broke free. Took it back the next day.

I suppose it could have been damaged or something before I bought it, but I did not see any cracks.

Zach
jmill
Haven't used the pressurized ones. I have a cheaper model with a hopper and siphon feed. All I can say is sandblasting makes one hell of a mess. Expect sand to get into every nook and cranny you wish it wouldn't have. It does a great job but you'll be doing more clean up than sweeping up your driveway.
Socalandy
Spend a little more and have the option of Soda, sand and other media. This is the uni I went with since the HH unit didnt look to hot to me.

http://www.eastwood.com/abrasive-blasting/...da-blaster.html

GeorgeRud
I have the HF one you're showing, and it's worked fine for small jobs (like most of us would have cleaning areas). As was mentioned, it's a messy job!
GeorgeRud
I forgot, be sure you have a big compressor, these things take a lot of air to work well!
Lennies914
It's been my experience that no matter what sand blaster you use, it's only as good as your air compressor biggrin.gif
charliew
I have a bigger hf pressure blaster and maybe everything on it but the tank and cap has been replaced at least once but it must be 12-15 years old and I've used it a lot. I use two 5hp compressors hooked together into a 55gal hot water tank reservoir to use mine. Buy and keep onhand a extra deadman nozzle and extra nozzles this will save trips to town while you have sand in your ears. I also have a screen to put on top of the funnel to recover sand I sweep up on the concrete approach in front of my shop and reuse, this also lets the compressors catch up. When I'm through I sweep it up and screen it into a 5 gal bucket and dump it in a plastic 55 gal barrel to use again when I need it. I know I can't do without it but I really hate using it, especially on 100 degree days. High humidity is not good, I also use a moisture trap and a 1/2 id air supply hose.
saigon71
I greatly appreciate all the info gents.

I am working out of a small one car garage and half of a 10 X 12 storage shed on a budget, with a decent (but old) air compressor. As much as I like the idea of sand blasting, it looks like old school elbow grease is my best option.

Thanks again!

Bob
charliew
Use all the manual effort you can and you still won't get in the small tight places sand will. Removing ALL the rust is the best way to keep it from reappearing in a few years.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.