Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Pressure washer vs Steam Cleaner
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
avidfanjpl
OK, so I am taking one of two easy ways out.

I am about to have a Birthday, and my devoted girlfriend wants to get me something big to go with my 914. But NOT a new paintjob!

What a gal, no?

So I look under the car today and realize, hey it's a driver, but IT IS DIRTY.

What would work best? A McCullough pressure wash system for 160 or a Ewbank Pressure System for about 100? She will go to Amazon and order it. I am figuring how far can I push the envelope?

This is to get all the grime off of as much as possible, because I can't lay on my back all day every day. There is just a bunch of grime that has to go. There is no rust, so getting to the paint layer is what I am looking for.

I know I could do it by hand, but we are talking 100 hours. If I could do it in 10 with a tool or system, thus I am definitely taking the lazy bastard way out.

It is either that or spend 300 or more on a detailer that really wants some hard work.

I am not above or below taking a recommendation on someone in SoCal. It would be one less thing in my densely packed garage.

Yes, I would let someone else do it this one time.There is an ad in Pandemonium lately on a guy that will clean the undercarriage for not so much, but this really needs cleaning, and this could run into some bucks.

Ideas of all kinds welcome, except the one where I am supposed to do it ALL on my back by hand. lol-2.gif

THANKS!

John
avidfanjpl - about to get 10% more lazy on 30 May!!!!!! yellowsleep[1].gif yellowsleep[1].gif yellowsleep[1].gif
bandjoey
Personally, I'd shoot for a 5 lug conversion with Fuchs and a backrub, but then I'm married. Go with the lower pressure version. It only takes one slip to give your car a mohawk stripe through the paint, Also, shoot it with Puple degreaser in a spray bottle first, and it makes cleaning easy.
avidfanjpl
Lower pressure version of the pressure washer? It is 2000 psi, and the steamer is only 50psi. Sounds like the steamer is safer?

And is that the name of the stuff? Purple degreaser?

I have about 10 of them, and some of it is really strong, like Marine Clean, which I doubt will be good on any paint.

avidfanjpl
She got me the steam system. She wants to use it too!

Consider it multi-purpose!

Eubank, you had better work for this old goat!
Tom_T
birthday3.gif

...... hmmm, not what I would have asked for "something big to go with my 914" back when I was single John, but to each his own you old goat! av-943.gif

Although a steam cleaner may be what I need to clean up the aftermath of what I did get for .... errr in my 914 back in the day! lol-2.gif

Well, I hope you end your birthday with a BIG BANG shades.gif anyway buddy! biggrin.gif

PS - Cooper Boggs here in Orange is highly regarded by the PCA OCR folks for detailing Porsches & is a nice young guy (read - he can lay under a 914 for 100 hours), but I've never used him myself. He has an ad in the Pandamonium every month.
turboman808
That's good the steam cleaner is safer for the car.
avidfanjpl
Thanks on the steam vote!

Tom, maybe after I mess with the steam system for a few weeks, I will contact Boggs?

I am sure some of the crap won't come off without a back strain sacrifice.

Right hand arthritis has been bad lately, so pressing a button on a wand sounds good for a while!

Old Goat is limping too! Last year's arthroscope on the right knee seems to be smarting!

I was not kidding when I said recently that I will have to be lowered into the car!

J
underthetire
I have both. The pressure washer gets in to everything, including electrical connectors and seals. The steam works well, but is almost useless without a good soak of purple power or something similar. The steam will also clean carpets, and works pretty good as a wax stripper to.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.