Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Junkyard 914
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Nie Zu Alt
So, last week my son calls me in the middle of the day saying that he found a 914 in the local pick-n-pull lot. He is a thrifty (broke) college student always on the prowl for Subaru parts. He sends me a picture on the phone, and I bail out of work, grab a change of clothes and am at the car an hour later. Sure enough, it's a fairly complete '74 1.8 liter. I'm not sure about you guys, but finding a 914 in a junkyard here in Colorado is pretty rare. This poor car was pretty beat down. It was obviously care for at one time, then looked to be left in a barn or garage. Not a lot of sun fade and the rubber parts were still soft and pliable...but plenty of mouse droppings and nests, pounds of it! Rust - plenty of that too. Completely rusted floors and longs on both sides. Even so, there were plenty of good parts to harvest. I spent the rest of the day till closing and the following morning stripping the car. It just goes to show that you never know where one of these cars will show up.

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

The VIN number has been entered into the database - 4742908417, Manuf Date: 11/73, Color: L99A Delphi Green
70_914
I bought my 1970 parts car from a junkyard. It had dual carbs, and started once I put a battery in it. There was another car close to me in a junkyard. Owner of the yard said the guy went out of town, came back and somebody stole his engine and transmission. Think it was a 75- red with plaid interior. Bought a bunch of parts off that car...
carr914
Hope you grabbed that Blaupunkt
Nie Zu Alt
QUOTE(carr914 @ May 26 2010, 12:50 AM) *

Hope you grabbed that Blaupunkt

No worries, it was only a Saphire. Actually, I left it. The mice had made a condo out of the entire dash. That area was so corroded with petrified mouse pee. Very nasty behind the dash.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Nie Zu Alt @ May 25 2010, 11:22 PM) *

The VIN number has been entered into the database - 4742908417, Manuf Date: 11/73, Color: L99A Delphi Green

Thank you sir! smilie_pokal.gif

VIN updated with picture and link to this thread ...
beerchug.gif Andy
lotus_65
what's with the drivetrain? i see a bursch.
also spotted a leather shift boot and the stock bakelite knob, you got those, yea?
Gint
Is that the one of Peoria Doug? Delphi... bummer. I don't think those guys will sell an entire car.
Nie Zu Alt
QUOTE(Gint @ May 26 2010, 05:44 AM) *

Is that the one of Peoria Doug? Delphi... bummer. I don't think those guys will sell an entire car.

It's at Colfax and Tower Rd. They said they would sell the entire car, but didn't give me a price. Rex was looking into it.
Nie Zu Alt
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 26 2010, 04:49 AM) *

what's with the drivetrain? i see a bursch.
also spotted a leather shift boot and the stock bakelite knob, you got those, yea?

It has a stock exhaust that has a big dent in the center/bottom when they placed the car on the stands. The knob and boot are actually in rough shape. I did grab all parts that were worth grabbing out of the interior. There was a lot of rodent damage.
Sleepin
A rare find in Colorado indeed!

I finally got pictures of that craigslist car in Durango if anyone is interested.
Krieger
Sad ending for the car. I always feel bad when I'm at a pick n pull and see any cool old car there awaiting the end.
Drums66
Grab the muff and the knocker's! idea.gif
hot_shoe914
Ken (7275914911) went last Saturday and stripped a teener at a U-Pullit here in Memphis. I am going to go back and get the vin# so Andy doesn't put a curse on him. chair.gif
Root_Werks
There's one up here at a pull-a-part I snagged parts off of and either kept or sold. Totally rusted out (Already gave Andy the VIN). There is a thread with pics about it somewhere.

I went back to the place last weekend for something else and the 914 was still there. I wasn't able to get the pass door open because you could tell it was holding the center off the ground. Someone did get it open though and sure enough, the center of the 914 was on the ground.

If I go up again, I'll take pics and post them. Sad ending. agree.gif
sww914
That's the kind of car to do a V-8 conversion on. Mouse shit, rust, repainted a bad color, PERFECT!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.