Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SOT: Cutting and buffing clear
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jeffdon
Can you use a DA to cut and buff clear coat with the proper bonnet/pad?
jasons
My guess is a DA is too fast with no way to properly set the RPMs. I have a cheap variable speed buffer from Harbor Freight, and a good adapter and pads from an autobody place.
underthetire
I always cut by hand, it's not like these cars are very big. I have the variable speed buffer as well, works just fine.
jeffdon
QUOTE(jasons @ May 26 2010, 07:55 AM) *

My guess is a DA is too fast with no way to properly set the RPMs. I have a cheap variable speed buffer from Harbor Freight, and a good adapter and pads from an autobody place.

I can adjust speed on mine, but then I do admit to a tendency to hit the knob with my knuckle and kick the speed up or down.
jeffdon
QUOTE(underthetire @ May 26 2010, 07:59 AM) *

I always cut by hand, it's not like these cars are very big. I have the variable speed buffer as well, works just fine.

Been thinking that too. Plus, less apt to burn through the paint, and I will develop popeye forearms.
sww914
Yes. Pads are available to polish with the DA set to circular. Most guys only use it for small spots, it's way too slow and not enough power and it's more likely to burn through because you have less control without a side handle. 1500g 2000g even 3000g sandpaper is available for the DA to colorsand. Don't bother, it does more harm than good. Just wet sand it like everyone else.
jeffdon
QUOTE(sww914 @ May 26 2010, 08:38 AM) *

Yes. Pads are available to polish with the DA set to circular. Most guys only use it for small spots, it's way too slow and not enough power and it's more likely to burn through because you have less control without a side handle. 1500g 2000g even 3000g sandpaper is available for the DA to colorsand. Don't bother, it does more harm than good. Just wet sand it like everyone else.

I was thinking more about the buffing than the wet sanding. Actually, I rather like wet sanding by hand in the final stages. something about it is very satisfying.
fat73
QUOTE(jeffdon @ May 26 2010, 06:50 AM) *

Can you use a DA to cut and buff clear coat with the proper bonnet/pad?

I have used a bunch of 'em to buff out paint and this one is the best I've used. Just bought a Shurhold Dual Action Polisher one to polish out the new Dupont Black base/clear on my windshield frame and top with the pro-polish pad and the 3M II compound. Makes quick work out of waxing/buffing too. Lightweight, easy to handle.

http://shurhold.com/auto/dual-action-polisher

my pix here: http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2010987710076795939WTVWre

Eventually the rest of the car will be black (maybe some stripes-can't decide) but I had a cracked windshield and the time to strip the paint from around the windshield frame was when the windshield was out. Had a previously painted top (from 1 of the handful of 914 M471s ever made - thanks Gaglione for the slick top) so it had to get the black treatment.

Ed
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.