Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 1973 914 2.0 fuel pump alternative
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dustyxt
I wanted to know if there is an alternative to the stock fuel pump in my 1973 914 2.0 fuel injected.Not to be cheap but I am and the pump is not any good. I picked the car up after sitting in a dry garage for 20 yrs. Ive priced pumps and they are not cheap . If anyone can send me in the right direction I would appreciate it.....Thanks
realred914
QUOTE(dustyxt @ May 26 2010, 10:11 AM) *

I wanted to know if there is an alternative to the stock fuel pump in my 1973 914 2.0 fuel injected.Not to be cheap but I am and the pump is not any good. I picked the car up after sitting in a dry garage for 20 yrs. Ive priced pumps and they are not cheap . If anyone can send me in the right direction I would appreciate it.....Thanks

High Performance House iN redwood City sells rebuilt pumps for a lot less than new ones. give a call 650 364-6234 he ships daily He (owner is Rich) may have some other options too, the later model pump that only has two ports can also be made to wrok, they are a bit less expensive, there are also some generic two port pumps that can be used. the two port pumps require a little bit of re-plumbing, but nothing difficult On my car I went with a rebuilt three port pump, simply for originality

you might be able to revive your old pump, try soaking it in WD-40 or a penatrating oil, either dunk the whole thing in the oil over night, or sqirk some oil into teh ports, and see if that frees it up. then you should bench test it by pumping gas thru it (or pump some less volitale stuff such a paint thinner) be very careful of your temporary wiring for the bench test, you want NO source ofsparks!!!

of course one of the failures of pumps that have sat a while is that they can develope leaks . if yorus starts leaking you shuld get a replacement. if you dont want to bench test yours that is fine too, but if you install an old used one, dont just make sure it pumps, also inspect it while it is running (or right after it has run) and make sure the pump body has no external gas leaks. what happens is an old pumps that has been used will get swollen seals, when teh gas drys out from lack of use, the seals will shrink, but they will shrink to less than original size, hence leak. I have revived a leaker by soaking three days in a can of gas, then it was fine, but I did not trust it, hence I bought a new rebuilt one instead of putting in my "fixxed" leaker)

good lucks to you!!! driving.gif driving-girl.gif chowtime.gif
underthetire
Get in touch with Lennie914. He just did his.
toon1
any FI pump will work.

Get one that is quiet, I bought a Summit racing pump and mounted it in the front under the fuel tank. That thing is loud, it drives me nuts.
Lennies914
http://stores.ebay.com/AutoPartAuctions__W0QQ_fsubZ21229597

I bought the 210/230 lp It was $50.00 and works great. Quiet also. I bought a chrome coil mount bracket from an auto parts store, insulated between the bracket and the pump with a dense foam tape and mounted using the stock type rubber stantions. Good luck.

Lennie
EdwardBlume
$50 ? Nice!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.