Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Newbie to site...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
william1764
Hello all - Just wanted to introduce myself and say what a great site you've built...as well as rid myself of the "Lurker" stigma shades.gif I'm from Maryland and actively looking for my 3rd 914...last one I owned was 20 years ago. My two previous were both 73 2.0's and were nice...for a poor kid in his 5th year of a 4 year degree beer.gif I'm 20 years older and never lost my affection for these wonderful cars. Unfortunately it seems that most all remaining 914's have relocated to the west coast which makes finding the right one, and acting on it timely, all that more challenging. The journey is half the fun...right? I've already met several very helpful folks in the classified forum and from the post I 've read they seem to be everywhere. Anyway, great site and I look forward to engaging more as my journey progresses. Bill

SirAndy
welcome.png

beerchug.gif Andy
EdwardBlume
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 26 2010, 03:36 PM) *

welcome.png

beerchug.gif Andy

agree.gif welcome.png beer.gif
Mary Shortridge
welcome.png
You have come to the right place. You won't believe how helpful these people are! biggrin.gif
Dr Evil
You are lucky to live in MD as there are some very cool and knowledgeable people there. Look up plas76targa (Matt) in Fredrick, Type47, and Crash914 to name only a few. They are all over and some even know where the bodies, er, 914s for sale are. smile.gif

welcome.png
porschecb
As long as we know how you got in. "we can help you out" welcome.png
william1764
Thanks for the welcome. Bill
Tom

welcome.png
Keep looking and investigatiog. There are some good deals out there. Just beware of the RUST ISSUES. They can be daunting.
Check out camp 914 web site. CAMP914.com. Craig usually has some nice cars and he would probably be a good one to talk to about finding a nice car.
Tom
hot_shoe914
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
montoya 73 2.0
welcome.png
rick 918-S
QUOTE(RobW @ May 26 2010, 05:40 PM) *

QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 26 2010, 03:36 PM) *

welcome.png

beerchug.gif Andy

agree.gif welcome.png beer.gif

agree.gif beerchug.gif welcome.png assimilate.gif
Elliot Cannon
Are you old enough to remember Sgr. Bilko? "Glad-a-seeya"! welcome.png
Lennies914
aktion035.gif welcome.png aktion035.gif
silver74insocal
welcome.png welcome!! and dont worry about capt krusty's responses...they only sting for a few days laugh.gif
VaccaRabite
Hey Bill, where about in MD are you? I commute from York PA to Baltimore daily.

Set your region association to Mid Atlantic. smile.gif

Zach
oz371
welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png drunk.gif welcome.png welcome.png welcome.png
PanelBilly
The sickness continues to grow... nice to have you aboard
Tom_T
QUOTE(william1764 @ May 26 2010, 03:35 PM) *

Unfortunately it seems that most all remaining 914's have relocated to the west coast ....

Bill - since Porsche sold about 40% of all of them in CA, they're still are more survivors out here.

But don't believe the "rust free" myth - check them all everywhere, as they can get rust anywhere, as I'm finding out digging into my 73 2.0 which I've owned since Dec. 75 & was on blocks in my dry SoCal garage for the past 25 years. dry.gif
welcome.png
MikeSpraggi
Bill, Welcome to the forum, but it's much more than a forum, it's a community as I'm sure you know by now. welcome.png

There's a nice contingent of 914 owners and supporters in the Mid-Atlantic region. Looking forward to meeting you. (There are five Porsches on my short street alone, 3 of them being 914's and no, I don't own all of them!)
johannes
Welcome to the WORLD ...

The french guy !...
zymurgist
welcome.png

So where are you?
william1764
I'm in Mt. Airy - between Ellicott City and Frederick. Can't find where I can set my region...working on it!

QUOTE(Vacca Rabite @ May 26 2010, 07:40 PM) *

Hey Bill, where about in MD are you? I commute from York PA to Baltimore daily.

Set your region association to Mid Atlantic. smile.gif

Zach

william1764
Hey Mike - I work in Gaithersburg area...nice hear there's strong local ownership. Can you recommend local service shop? I used to deal with a small shop off Gude Drive 20 years ago but I suspect the owner has long since retired as he was getting on in years back then.

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ May 27 2010, 01:09 AM) *

Bill, Welcome to the forum, but it's much more than a forum, it's a community as I'm sure you know by now. welcome.png

There's a nice contingent of 914 owners and supporters in the Mid-Atlantic region. Looking forward to meeting you. (There are five Porsches on my short street alone, 3 of them being 914's and no, I don't own all of them!)

MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(william1764 @ May 27 2010, 06:38 AM) *

Hey Mike - I work in Gaithersburg area...nice hear there's strong local ownership. Can you recommend local service shop? I used to deal with a small shop off Gude Drive 20 years ago but I suspect the owner has long since retired as he was getting on in years back then.

Was that something like C&G, older guy, I think named Calvin ... had an orginal 914/6? Small two bay shop? I see you're in Mt. Airy. I'm up that way a bit. One of my sons stays in Frederick. Maybe Matt (plas76) may know of some shop in your area. Although I live in Silver Spring, my heavy wrench is in Edgewood, Md., right off of 95.
william1764
Thats the guy...great memory! He worked on both my 914's. My dad found him initially and he serviced his 911 and 914. Can't imaging he's still turning a wrench. I was young and poor...Calvin always took care of me - "no problem - pay what you can"

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ May 27 2010, 12:49 PM) *

Was that something like C&G, older guy, I think named Calvin ... had an orginal 914/6? Small two bay shop? I see you're in Mt. Airy. I'm up that way a bit. One of my sons stays in Frederick. Maybe Matt (plas76) may know of some shop in your area. Although I live in Silver Spring, my heavy wrench is in Edgewood, Md., right off of 95.

MikeSpraggi
QUOTE(william1764 @ May 28 2010, 08:09 AM) *

Thats the guy...great memory! He worked on both my 914's. My dad found him initially and he serviced his 911 and 914. Can't imaging he's still turning a wrench. I was young and poor...Calvin always took care of me - "no problem - pay what you can"

Calvin worked on my first 914 a '71 1.7. Car ran fine. I took it to another shop in the Chantilly/Arcola, Va. area where it STAYED in the shop for over 10 YEARS. After lots of $$$, I finally had to scrap it ..... long, long story. Should've stuck with Calvin. He has passed since and those days are all but just memories ... Hopefully, there will be an ECC (East Coast Cookout) this year, you should come.
william1764

QUOTE(MikeSpraggi @ May 28 2010, 10:13 AM) *

QUOTE(william1764 @ May 28 2010, 08:09 AM) *

Calvin worked on my first 914 a '71 1.7. Car ran fine. I took it to another shop in the Chantilly/Arcola, Va. area where it STAYED in the shop for over 10 YEARS. After lots of $$$, I finally had to scrap it ..... long, long story. Should've stuck with Calvin. He has passed since and those days are all but just memories ... Hopefully, there will be an ECC (East Coast Cookout) this year, you should come.

Sorry to hear he passed...small world. Let me know if that cookout comes together.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.