Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 world noob
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
r32bert
Hello world!

I just joined the forum and thought I'd say hi.

I have a '74 2.0 that I am starting to restore again. Sadly, it has been sitting for the last 5 years. It is also a sad shade of what I have been calling "disco maroon" (the previous owner did an Earl Scheib on it and picked maroon with metal glitter flakes in it) ... the good news is that it only has 65k original miles on the odometer and the frame is straight and there's hardly any rust (heh).

here's the ad I put up when I was trying to sell it if anyone is curious: my old "for sale" web page

I will take more pics as I go (so you can at least see that god-awful paint in all its glory). I'm sure I will be posting all sorts of questions too as this is my first "restore."

like: Does anyone have a recommendation for an oil filter removal tool that works well on the 914?

drive well =)

-Robert
Tom_T
welcome.png

Oil Filter wrench - AA, Pelican & PP/Automation, etc. & local FLAPS sell the cup type that fits over the end & work with the typical ratchet drive.

How about taking her back to the original color, which should be the code no. in the bottom of the Karmann plate in the LF/driver-side door jamb between the hinges.
lotus_65
Hi noob!

and

welcome.png

and

thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

(i noticed your linky)

thefleur
johannes
Hi ! Welcome to the WORLD ...

The french guy ! ...
zymurgist
welcome.png
flipb
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 27 2010, 03:57 AM) *

How about taking her back to the original color, which should be the code no. in the bottom of the Karmann plate in the LF/driver-side door jamb between the hinges.

agree.gif

One of the pics on the for sale page seems to show L51P -- Olympic Blue, like this:
IPB Image

Oh, and welcome.png
rick 918-S
welcome.png
Nie Zu Alt
welcome.png

Looking through the pictures, you look to have a good car to start with. Once you get it driving and back on the the road, you'll be glad you didn't sell it.
BigDBass
welcome.png

Yeah, put it back to original color if you can.

Looks like a good car!

Replace that battery with a sealed one ASAP! An Optima or Odyssey.
RJMII
welcome.png

r32bert
yep, I was thinking of going back to the original Olympic Blue. That is one of my favorite original colors.

First I want to get it street worthy again, then ultimately tune it up and have fun on the street/track (I live realllly close to Infineon Raceway and am a NASA member). smile.gif

anyway, we'll cross the tuning bridge when we eventually come to it.

cup oil filter wrench - check. sealed battery - check.

So far, it's up on jack stands in the garage. I pulled off the gravel shield to put the front stands on that bar up there (whatever it's called) and released a zombie army of snails... There were like 50 dead snails/shells tucked up in there. If anyone has problems with snails in their garden, just park your 914 in it for 5 years and wait, haha.

Strangely, the jack stand under the passenger front side isn't touching anything, there's like a 1/4" gap between the bar and the stand. I will post a new thread with pics, but obviously I am concerned... It seems very solid, but still.

next is replacing all the fluids and getting a new battery, then crossing fingers that the brakes are still good; the hand brake was frozen on (which made pushing it onto the trailer fun) and both rears are pretty stuck, plus both front brakes scrape when you spin the wheels... anyway, positive thinking I guess.

...thanks for all the "welcomes!"

-Robert
Dr Evil
Dude,

Your neighbor just happens to be McMark from Original Customs in Sonoma and it just so happens that he is very skilled in EVERYTHING 914 related. You are one lucky guy smile.gif
r32bert
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ May 27 2010, 07:23 PM) *

Dude,

Your neighbor just happens to be McMark from Original Customs in Sonoma and it just so happens that he is very skilled in EVERYTHING 914 related. You are one lucky guy smile.gif

holy cro-moly batman! he's 15 miles from my house! biggrin.gif

Speaking of neighbors, in a strange coincidence, the car was stored for 5 years at my Dad's place in Mountain View - literally between his and Dave Modderman's house... Modderman used to work on the 914 before I "stowed" it there. The world's a strange and small place.

thanks for the heads-up on original customs, I will definitely give them a shout.

and here's a couple pics of "the disco red 914"

IPB Image

IPB Image

and one of "the paint" (and also the coolest vin # ever):

IPB Image

-Robert
Nürburg Nomad
Welcome! I'm a bit of a noob myself! Keep all the progress photos coming!
markb
welcome.png
Glad to hear you're going to resurrect it.
roadster fan
welcome.png

Looks like a good starting point, keep us posted!

Jim
Lennies914
welcome.png
Looks like a pretty solid car. You'll have it off those jack stands in no time.
bandjoey
QUOTE(Lennies914 @ May 28 2010, 07:02 PM) *

welcome.png
Looks like a pretty solid car. You'll have it off those jack stands in no time.

In No Time, In 914 years means 2 - 3 years to be off jackstands. Ask me how I know.
av-943.gif
Good luck. It'll be a hot car when you're finished. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.