Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Hobie Cat towed with 914?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
jabberwocky
Ok so tell me Im crazy but I have this burning desire to pull my Hobie 16 trailer with a 914 confused24.gif . I have seen this done with early 90s jetta TDI (63hp,90ft-lb) and even an old bug but don't know the results with the bug just saw a picture.

I have seen some of you pull Autox trailers with your 914's what is the results how much do these weigh? what have you done other than the hitch install and wiring to get it to work?
FYI My trailer is just over 600lbs with the boat on it had it weighed for registration.

Just curious I don't need to do this i have a truck i can use but I just feel it would be so cool (or stupid) to go camping with my 914 and sailboat best of both worlds for the weekend.

I Don't have the 914 yet but looking to move on a 75 1.8L in good shape.

Let me know your thoughts

Thanks
VaccaRabite
How big a Cat? I don't think it would be an issue for the car, its not like they weigh anything, so long as it is not one of the really big ones. That said, I'd not be looking to the 914 to launch it or pull it out of the water.

Zach
jabberwocky
No launching up and down the ramp. I will beach launch from my camp site. the cat is a 16' about 300lbs itself i have hefted it alone on my back without sails one time to get it of a beach with a 2' bank (now that was stupid).
bandjoey
It'd be dead in the water at launch. Splish Splash you'd be taking the bath. sad.gif
Bruce Hinds
I used to have a 2.0 and a hobie 16. The weight is not the issue, it's where to attach the hitch. With 600lbs yank'n on the chassis on every bump it puts a hell of a strain on the car.
Since it's a '75 you may be able to go up under the rubber outer cover and tie into the massive rear bumper. That bumper is mounted to shocks that may take some of the shock out of trailer pull.
I haven't seen it done.... just a thought.
VaccaRabite
So, 600lbs with a light weight trailer?
I think you would be fine. Just remember that if you are camping you probably have a crap load of other stuff in the car as well - especially if you are bringing a boat and a girl. :-) You would likely need to stay in 4th, and would probably have to take hills slowly.

Zach
poorsche914
My dad had a '75 1.8 and he towed a Hobie Cat 16' from Illinois to Florida and back. Looked pretty cool going down the road with the mast over the top of the 914.
driving.gif
rick 918-S
Two words. Engine heat. Specially with a 75 with restrictive exhaust.
rsrguy3
I've seen it b4
underthetire
This is what comes to mind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21dTTe76UJA
Root_Werks
av-943.gif
Dr Evil
"Runnin a bit rich, I'm afraid" av-943.gif
jabberwocky
Oh wow lol-2.gif
That was hilarious. Hmmmm maybe i should reconsider however I dont think i could pick up that trailer and put it on my back that might be a hair over 600lbs.

Tom_T
I had a buddy who did it with his 74 2.0 as well as his 78 2.0 Westy Bus back in the day - either a 16' or 18' Hobie. On the long camping trips he used the Westy & drove it like the 914 driving.gif , so he'd go around the cloverleaf ramps on 3 wheels - 2 on the bus & 1 on the Hobie trailer & scare everyone s-less!!!! new_shocked.gif

IIRC the 914's have a fairly low tow weight limit & overall weight limit to max GVW - so you'd need to add it all up & 914, driver/passenger(s - center seat ya know is for the pretty of the 2 gals you bring along! biggrin.gif ), luggage/gear, trailer/boat, etc. - as well as the max. tow weight.

Mine is a 73 2.0, so you'll need to look in the 75 1.8 owners manual (or whatever 914 you get) & see what its limits are.

I'd recco the 73 or 74 914-2.0 as your best investment, more hp/tq & better all around fun - but then I'm highly prejudiced having owned mine since 75! biggrin.gif
sean_v8_914
im crying
azbill
Go buy a pick-up and get it over with
rick 918-S
Jeeze! Tail wagging the dog! av-943.gif
Elliot Cannon
I drive my 914 for it's handling qualities. It's just a joy to drive. How much fun can you have driving a 914 while pulling 600 lbs., other than a percieved "coolness" factor?
jabberwocky
Yeah Ive pretty much given up on the idea Ill use my truck for camping (too much gear to hall around) the 914 for the street and track. but it would be a sight to be seen.
914four
It seems like the cool factor of the 914 pulling a Hobie Cat would out weigh any handling issues you might have aktion035.gif

Go for it!
swl
Never towed my hobie with the 914 but agree there would be a serious coolness factor there. Cool car, cool boat, roof off, good looking gal for the trapeze - what's not to like? Certainly it is light enough if you found a good way to install the hitch. The Hobie has virtually 0 windage from head on. A little bit on the front of the tramp. Hulls would stick out well beyond the side of the car. I think the car could handle it with no problem.
lotus_65
i voted hell yea, but the logic [sublime irony] of the comments [crushingly hilarious video], i'll have to recant [damn, lost another pair to comedy!].
lotus_65
i can sure see dragging a 12 footer to the lake for the day. that'd be cool, esp. cause i live where you can't drive 4 miles without having to go around one...
hcdmueller
Easy day. Go for it.
Rand
No reason you can't enjoy your 914 for it's handling qualities 99% of the time, and also enjoy the occasional cruise to the water with the top off, Cat in tow. Ahhh. Do it all, enjoy it all.
Joe Owensby
If you make a hitch that is close to the rear bumper, you will be absolutely amazed how it tows. I used to tow a 30 foot long glider trailer behind my 1973 1.7. It towed wonderfully. My glider weighs about 500 pounds, and I estimate the trailer weighs about 1000. I have about 70 to 100 pounds of tongue weight. I had stiff springs in the rear. In fact, I had to keep reminding myself that it was back there, as it was barely noticable. The stock engine pulled the trailer with no problems, and no overheating. My biggest worry was going around a curve too fast, that is when I would forget the trailer was back there and I would be driving fast on curvy roads. I had an electric brake system to help in stopping. Clearly, the engine is good enough, but the brakes need some help.

If you check here, you can find a few links to trailer hitches. Since the hitch ball is so close to the rear wheels, it is almost like a 5th wheel hitch on a truck. Very little moment arm to affect the car.

Go for it.
JoeO
bandjoey
I'm still laughing so hard on the video! That's Shoe in his LE pulling his camper! poke.gif

Seriously though, Get an OEM Trailer Hitch from Porsche. They've got real Balls!
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(lotus_65 @ May 27 2010, 07:27 PM) *

i can sure see dragging a 12 footer to the lake for the day. that'd be cool, esp. cause i live where you can't drive 4 miles without having to go around one...

I wish I had that problem. The lakes around here are really just overgrown ponds...

OP, do it. I think that cool factor alone makes it worth doing.

zach
Elliot Cannon
Which is more important. Safety? Or the "cool factor"?
VaccaRabite
I really doubt that there are any more safety issues towing a dingy with a 914 then towing a dingy with anything else.

If it was a bigger boat, or a bigger trailer, yeah. But you can tow a cat with just about anything. I knoew a guy that used to tow his I-14 with a miata, and I reaced with a guy that towed his Narca with a Z3. These boats are meant to be hauled around by hand on the beach. So long as you can safely mount the hitch, safety is not going to be a problem.

Zach
swl
If safety was more important than coolness then we would all be driving 1980's Volvos instead of 914s. biggrin.gif
SLITS
By towing a Hobie Cat with a 914, you will have reached the heights of Mediocre Conspicuous Consumption (half a Yippie).

Congratulations!
Lennies914
Perhaps a kayak, or a paddle board?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.