Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Paint code
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ian Stott
My 73 2.0 looks orange but that is not the colour, the plate inside the drivers door says L 32K, my paint guy is drawing a blank, can anyone help with more info??

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
SirAndy
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ May 27 2010, 10:50 AM) *

My 73 2.0 looks orange but that is not the colour, the plate inside the drivers door says L 32K, my paint guy is drawing a blank, can anyone help with more info??

L32K = Phoenix Red (Phönixrot)

914 Color Codes

shades.gif Andy
Ian Stott
Thanks, the end of this month may be the end of buying paint as we know it in Canada according to my painter so we are ordering the paint today to ensure we have it. Not painting the car til next winter but wanting to ensure the supply!!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
MDG
QUOTE(Ian Stott @ May 27 2010, 01:59 PM) *

Thanks, the end of this month may be the end of buying paint as we know it in Canada according to my painter so we are ordering the paint today to ensure we have it. Not painting the car til next winter but wanting to ensure the supply!!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada

Just bought the Irish Green for my 3.2 car (being prepped now) and the L32K for my '73 which will go next month.

edit: just walked out and asked my brother; are you talking solvent based paints, Ian? He hasn't heard anything here and he buys every day. Maybe it's a New Brunswick thing confused24.gif
Ian Stott
I've heard rumors about this for the last year or so, just casual conversation with guys that paint cars for a living, apparently everything is going waterbase. What that means for the small shops is the retooling may be cost prohibitive and I know one shop is just gona stop painting as he is close to retirement and doesn't want to spend that kinda money to retool. My guy got the news this morning from his ppg rep that he better order stuff now since the cutoff may be as early as June. I am pretty sure it is not a New Brunswick decision alone. I didn't mind getting the paint now as I am gonna paint the whole car anyway in the next 12 months and it doesn't go bad, and at least we have it, to late to contemplate a colour change now!

Ian Stott
Moncton
Canada
McMark
California went all water based this year, and my painter hasn't had any trouble making the swap. And apparently, at least in Calif, a lot of the paint manufacturers are finding ways to produce solvent based paints & primers with low enough VOCs to still comply, even though they're not water based.
MDG
I'll mention it to my brother (he's owned a restoration shop here since the '70s)

The paints for my car are PPG - Global I think. He already shoots the water based as well and doesn't mind it. Given the choice though he is not using the water based on either of mine. I think the Global line is already extremely low VOC.
Tom_T
QUOTE(SirAndy @ May 27 2010, 10:52 AM) *

QUOTE(Ian Stott @ May 27 2010, 10:50 AM) *

L32K = Phoenix Red (Phönixrot)

914 Color Codes

shades.gif Andy

agree.gif

Phoenix Red is really more of a red-orange color, than a true red like the Bahia Red.

Here are some more color info sources with more "example 914s" in many/most of the colors, including yours.

http://www.p914.com/p914_paint.htm

http://members.rennlist.com/914_collectibl...aintFabrics.htm

http://members.rennlist.com/chuxter/914Colors.htm

Here's a great topic on here for getting the paints today:
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?act...f=2&t=39488

Get Busy!!!!
popcorn[1].gif
pillay2k
mine is L32K and has just recently been painted. (2 pack med-solids)

Can look red/orange... or verging on pink! as in last photo... very nice in real life though, very period correct i think biggrin.gif Mine was a horrible black mess before repainting.

IPB Image
IPB Image

DanT
all L32K biggrin.gif
bugsy0
QUOTE(DanT @ May 27 2010, 04:48 PM) *

all L32K biggrin.gif

That's one of the finest looking 914's I've seen - super nice.
DanT
QUOTE(bugsy0 @ May 27 2010, 08:21 PM) *

QUOTE(DanT @ May 27 2010, 04:48 PM) *

all L32K biggrin.gif

That's one of the finest looking 914's I've seen - super nice.

thanks, wish I still had it... sad.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.