Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: aux driving lights
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Trekkor
I'm looking for a replacement bulb that actually does something.

The bulbs in there just don't cut it.

Are there high output bulbs that are a direct swap?

trekkor
ArtechnikA
QUOTE(trekkor @ Apr 4 2004, 10:40 PM)
I'm looking for a replacement bulb that actually does something.
The bulbs in there just don't cut it.
Are there high output bulbs that are a direct swap?

the factory made just two kinds of aux lights -- the rare driving light that came on with the high beams. my Euro /6 had these, they are quite bright indeed.

everything else is the fog light, originally designed to operate with the low beams, although this function has been modified 'in the field' just about every way imaginable. the 'issue' with these is not the bulbs, but the wide flat-topped beam (and probably the sandblasted lanses...) is designed to be effective in fog - not light up the night. nothing you do with just bulbs is going to have much effect.

if you want driving lights, you're going to have to buy driving lights. i wouldn't be holding out for factory parts...

i don't know of a bulb-only upgrade for the factory fog lights, but like i said - it wouldn't help much anyway.
Bleyseng
Yes, there is a halogen bulb with a adapter base that will work. I can't find the site but PM Korijo on Kellezy for it.
The other option is to use the Pilot driving lites from Autozone for $50. There has been a post by Demirick on the how to install them.

Geoff
TheCabinetmaker
Trekkor, what year are ya working on? I found some 100 watt Sylvania direct swaps for my 75 at Pep Boys.
agentblr
I heard a long time ago that 89-93 mustang driving lights were a bolt on for our cars ,never tried it though. confused24.gif
Trekkor
My car is a '74.

Has anyone considered updating to a bulb holder from a current model car to be able to use a halogen replacement ? confused24.gif

I'd prefer to keep things as is with a 55 or higher watt bulb.

trekkor
campbellcj
Well...the real Hella 118 euro driving lamps are still available.

For about $400 EACH wacko.gif

(I have 3 decent used ones in the garage but they're not going anywhere...)
Bleyseng
http://www.vintagemotorspares.com/phdi/p1....Document&part=7
order the 423h bulbs.

Geoff
Trekkor
http://www.vintagemotorspares.com/clientph...Document&part=7

I e-mailed these guys. so far, so nothing.

423h bulb

trekkor
Bleyseng
slow very slow
Korijo
I've got a pair. $50 includes shipping and new lens seals. Direct replacement bulbs, part # 423H.
Dr Evil
Pbanders web sit has an article with pictures about new upgrades. The old link that I had for it isnt working though.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/
Bleyseng
haha lots of pics of his sweet car in the garage. He should have taken a pic outside from further away so you could really see the car. Its really nice w/flares
I am gonna try the bulb upgrade first, then install the pilot for comparison.

Geoff cool.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.