Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Starting Problems
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
chilling in vt
I am having a no start problem with my brother's 76 2.0. When we turn the key we get absolutely nothing. No lights, no fuel pump running, no crank. This happened last fall, we put it away for the winter and I started it this spring no problems, changed the oil and prepped it for a track day at Lime Rock. Probably started the car without a problem 5-10 times. Put the car back into the barn and get ready to put it into the trailer and we are back to where we were last fall. I have checked the battery, it's fully charged, and have also changed the plastic ignition switch (with 3 different ones) and still nothing. I have checked to see if we have power to the connector at the ignition switch and we do. I have checked the connection of the seatbelt wiring under the passenger seat and it is fine, jumped out actually. I plan to put it back on the lift in the morning and check the transmission ground strap and verify that the starter works ( the starter was replaced last spring). Any other ideas?
Thanks.
Joe
dr914@autoatlanta.com
If you have nothing at all I would check the red leads attached to the positive post of the battery. Maybe they are corroded or loose.

QUOTE(chilling in vt @ May 28 2010, 03:13 PM) *

I am having a no start problem with my brother's 76 2.0. When we turn the key we get absolutely nothing. No lights, no fuel pump running, no crank. This happened last fall, we put it away for the winter and I started it this spring no problems, changed the oil and prepped it for a track day at Lime Rock. Probably started the car without a problem 5-10 times. Put the car back into the barn and get ready to put it into the trailer and we are back to where we were last fall. I have checked the battery, it's fully charged, and have also changed the plastic ignition switch (with 3 different ones) and still nothing. I have checked to see if we have power to the connector at the ignition switch and we do. I have checked the connection of the seatbelt wiring under the passenger seat and it is fine, jumped out actually. I plan to put it back on the lift in the morning and check the transmission ground strap and verify that the starter works ( the starter was replaced last spring). Any other ideas?
Thanks.
Joe

chilling in vt
I have power at the fuse box and power at the connector that plugs into the plastic ignition switch. I think I should be able to jump from the main red power wire to one of the other terminals and power the other items and possibly the starter? I will check the red wires at the battery but I think they are ok. I am stumped as to why it's so intermittent.
swl
That's a lot of things to go down at once. If it is failing consistently it should be reasonably easy to chase down with a meter. Battery terminal, Battery wire, distribution block, ...
chilling in vt
So, I checked all of the connections at the battery, cleaned them and still no start. I have checked and I've got 12.8 volts at the batter and at the stud where the cable comes into the starter. I also have 12.8 volts at the fuse box. But when I turn the key nothing. I have changed the starter as well as the ignition switch (electrical side only). If I jump the two terminals on the starter I do not get it to turn. Shouldn't this happen? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
SLITS
did you jump between the large battery post (lead from battery) to the spade terminal (yellow wire on solnoid)? If you did, and the starter didn't turn and engage, the starter is done.

If you shorted the two large leads, the motor will spin, but not engage the Bendix.

If this is good, it is possible your solenoid is dead.

Other than ignition switch, it's the starter.

almost forgot ... bad battery cable from battery to starter.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.