Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Re-hashing the clutch question
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rick 918-S
OK, I can't find my clutch. I looked everywhere. Must have tossed it. I'm slightly miffed as I recall it was still in like new condition. mad.gif So I'm bringing my custom flywheel in to get resurfaced before the install. I remeber reading about a bus clutch disc that is slightly larger than the 914. I can't find the thread. Anyone remember reading about it or anyone used it?

I'm on a serious budget here. I'm not buying the Kennedy this time around. I figure if I hog the flywheel out for the bus clutch I should be able to purchase one of those from the local flywheel grinder cheap. Still need a "T" bearing! CRAP! mad.gif
Joe Bob
Well what size IS your clutch face?????

Kennedy makes a "9 inch" clutch which is a 228mm....bus clutch.
agentblr
Rich,I use the 6 spring 911 disk,stronger tyan the typ 4 and relativly cheap,plus you get 2 more springs! smilie_pokal.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(agentblr @ Apr 5 2004, 05:50 AM)
Rich,I use the 6 spring 911 disk,stronger tyan the typ 4 and relativly cheap,plus you get 2 more springs! smilie_pokal.gif

What years fit? What is the Diameter? 9"
rick 918-S
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 5 2004, 05:49 AM)

Thanks Mike, Actually I remember you posting the info on the bus clutch. How many springs does the Bus clutch have?

If you had a choice would you run the 911, bus, or Kennedy and why?

I know your not one to baby a clutch so your oppinion counts. driving.gif
agentblr
Diameter is 225 mm and will fit all 901 gear boxes
tat2dphreak
I asked this same Q not long ago... you can either get an early 911 clutch(6 spring) or a 914 clutch(4 spring)... they are both 215mm the bus clutch won't fit...

the 4 spring is ~65$ the 6spring is about 135...

I bought a 6-spring off ebay though, a guy there sells 914/911 clutches, I paid $65 for the 6 spring... great deal really!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...item=2468221257
Mark Henry
The bus pressure plate will not match up to the 914 flywheel. (I can post a pic if you need proof)

We looked at a bus 215mm disc and a P disc and they looked the same, both were also 6 spring. Don't know if it's as heavy duty and I'm not 100% sure if will work.
Joe Bob
QUOTE(rich 918-S @ Apr 5 2004, 06:03 AM)
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 5 2004, 05:49 AM)

Thanks Mike, Actually I remember you posting the info on the bus clutch. How many springs does the Bus clutch have?

If you had a choice would you run the 911, bus, or Kennedy and why?

I know your not one to baby a clutch so your oppinion counts. driving.gif

Well Kennedy gets my vote as they make a LOT of different clutches for various horse power applications.

The size deals with the diameter of the clutch face...NOT the thickness or the springs. Early VWs had 180 mm, later ones 200mm...same as the 356 motors. Porsches have had 215, 225, 228 and up....

KEP rates the clutches as Stage I, II and III. They combine them with kevlar and match the pressure plate to what specifics YOU are doing. Hell of a LOT cheaper than a Sachs unit.

Do a Google on Kennedy Engineered Products...they are in Palmdale CA. I have never blown one of their clutches....now if they only made trannies.... blink.gif

My 911 2.2 flywheel cost me 225, and the disc and PP was another 150....I already have the TO bearing.

BTW, they buy GOOD flywheels....
Mark Henry
The proof...a 215mm bus pressure plate in a 914 flywheel, it's too small of a bolt circle, no locating pins, etc...
rick 918-S
Alot of great info today OK, I have a good pressure plate. I'm going the check into a disc and "T" bearing.

MIKEZ,

I thought I remembered reading that you needed to open up the flywheel so the bus or KEP disc would fit past the shoulder. Do you remember anything about that? Myth or fact.... confused24.gif
Joe Bob
Well, yeah.....

Because THAT flywheel was not cut for THAT clutch....

KEP makes CUSTOM flywheels and then uses CUSTOM clutches to fit thier stuff.....none of the clutches are off the shelf unless they are stock applications.

Apples and Oranges....
rick 918-S
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 5 2004, 07:47 AM)
Well, yeah.....

Because THAT flywheel was not cut for THAT clutch....

KEP makes CUSTOM flywheels and then uses CUSTOM clutches to fit thier stuff.....none of the clutches are off the shelf unless they are stock applications.

Apples and Oranges....

Thanks, OK, I'm on the hunt for the disc before I send my custom made flywheel to the local grinder.
Joe Bob
So who made YOUR flywheel? Ask them what clutch they used....or send it to KEP and have them make it for ya....OR wait till the snow melts and you can find the disc..... cool_shades.gif
rick 918-S
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 5 2004, 07:53 AM)
So who made YOUR flywheel?  Ask them what clutch they used....or send it to KEP and have them make it for ya....OR wait till the snow melts and you can find the disc..... cool_shades.gif

Ya, F"in snow! pretty much amount that! I made the flywheel. it's my own untested design. Well.... my instructions to a low budget machine shop. I love those guys... The ones I dealt with had zero vision but make them a drawing and they catch on pretty quick.

I spoke with the guy's at KEP. The bus unit is all special, custom flywheel for the 228mm stuff. So I'm going with the stock stuff for now. I'm limited to the 215mm by my own design.
Joe Bob
well then I HAVE like 5 0r 6 discs laying around from Manfred....
rick 918-S
QUOTE(mikez @ Apr 5 2004, 11:29 AM)
well then I HAVE like 5 0r 6 discs laying around from Manfred....

Ok here's more of what I found out:

KEP does a custom disc 215mm for the 914 for higher HP. $ 104.00

"T" bearing $ 72.00 and pressure plate for $ 225.00 plus shipping

Local clutch and brake shop will build a 6 paddle 6 spring Kevlar disc for $ 130.00

"T" bearing $ 68.00 They are checking on a heavier Pressure plate. tax is 7.5%

Send me a PM. If you are refering to 5 or 6 NEW disc's laying around. I think once you've installed them they really aren't worth reusing........ aktion035.gif driving.gif
Joe Bob
What it means is.....I have a bunch of 215 discs that came out of the pile of stuff that Zeke gave me when he sold me Manfred....they need to be cleaned up, but seem to have meat on them.....included are pressure plates.

The 2.0/6 that is going in has what it needs...make me an offer.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.