Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What if?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
poorsche914
OK, I am searching for an ECU for a '74 2.0 and so far, no luck. dry.gif
I have read through pbanders D-jet pages many, many times and in the list of suggested parts for a '74 build, the 043 or 044 is recommended. My question is: what happens if I were to use an ECU from a '73 or '75 2.0? I have one of each sitting in the garage. Will using either one cause any kind of damage? I talked to a guy who has worked on 914s for over 20 years and he said he has swapped ECUs before and had no problems.
I will buy the proper ECU when one shows up but in the meantime, I would like to get this engine running so I can see what kind of shape it is in.

Thanks. driving.gif
SLITS
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 28 2010, 03:42 PM) *

I have read through pbanders D-jet pages many, many times and in the list of suggested parts for a '74 build, the 043 or 044 is recommended. My question is: what happens if I were to use an ECU from a '73 or '75 2.0? I have one of each sitting in the garage. Will using either one cause any kind of damage? I talked to a guy who has worked on 914s for over 20 years and he said he has swapped ECUs before and had no problems.
I will buy the proper ECU when one shows up but in the meantime, I would like to get this engine running so I can see what kind of shape it is in.

Thanks. driving.gif

Won't hurt a damn thing ... may not run real well and then again, maybe it will. Use an 052 ECU ('75-'76) with an 049 MPS and you will be golden.
poorsche914
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 28 2010, 06:52 PM) *

Won't hurt a damn thing ... may not run real well and then again, maybe it will. Use an 052 ECU ('75-'76) with an 049 MPS and you will be golden.

Thank you! Will give the 052 a try.
Tom_T
Wrong ECU won't run right, you'll end up changing out a lot of other EFI components to match, & then that part of the project runs away with itself.

Plus it's a Creamsicle LE, so you'll want to do it right in as close to "as built/as OE" as you can - so stick with the proper parts (Jeff Bowlsby or Davep may have a 74 2L ECU core around that they could sell you).

Send your current 74 2L ECU to these guys at the Pelican link below & have them rebuild/reman it for you - or find a used core 74 2L ECU on here, 914club, TheSamba, eBay, etc. if you have nothing in it now (check 914 PET for proper part no. first before buying & get exact nos.).

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...74%29%2C%20Each

BRET has been doing these since the 70's - initially as a reliable lower cost alternative to a new factory unit (read pricey), & now they're about the only game in town since they're NLA.

I had one from BRET put in in the late 70's & it ran fine up to 85 when she went into my garage for hibernation after the gal whacked her back then (7-8 years).

Happy Mammorial Day! flag.gif

Click to view attachment

shades.gif
SLITS
Brett Instruments went out of business about 7 years ago ... Don sold it to Fuel Injection Corporation.

Oh, BTW, What brain do you want? I have about 40 of them ... maybe I might have what you are looking for.
JRust
Holy crap your going thrugh the same stromberg.gif I am. You can make most of those 2.0 FI work in some way shape or form. Unless you are me anyway. Since you are just trying to get it running. Both ECU's should work to a point. Meaning you should be able to get it running but not well dry.gif . If you find a score of 74 2.0 ECU's let me know smile.gif
poorsche914
Tom T: it's cool. I will be using the proper ECU once I locate one. The ECU that was on my LE was from a 1.7 as were the injectors. confused24.gif Thankfully, the MPS is the correct unit for my '74.

SLITS: I need the 0 280 000 043, 044 CU14X unit as specified on the pbanders djet page.

JRust: yep, I need a brain dry.gif
Just thought since I had two lying around - a '73 and a '75 both from 2.0s - I would double check to see if there would be any major damage in using one of them. If it fires up and runs, I can check compression, etc and at least know the motor is OK. Then when I get the correct ECU, plug it in and drive!

Thanks guys for the input. driving.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(Tom_T @ May 28 2010, 03:59 PM) *

Wrong ECU won't run right, you'll end up changing out a lot of other EFI components to match, & then that part of the project runs away with itself.

Plus it's a Creamsicle LE, so you'll want to do it right in as close to "as built/as OE" as you can - so stick with the proper parts (Jeff Bowlsby or Davep may have a 74 2L ECU core around that they could sell you).

Send your current 74 2L ECU to these guys at the Pelican link below & have them rebuild/reman it for you - or find a used core 74 2L ECU on here, 914club, TheSamba, eBay, etc. if you have nothing in it now (check 914 PET for proper part no. first before buying & get exact nos.).

http://www.pelicanparts.com/cgi-bin/smart/...74%29%2C%20Each

BRET has been doing these since the 70's - initially as a reliable lower cost alternative to a new factory unit (read pricey), & now they're about the only game in town since they're NLA.

I had one from BRET put in in the late 70's & it ran fine up to 85 when she went into my garage for hibernation after the gal whacked her back then (7-8 years).

Happy Mammorial Day! flag.gif

Click to view attachment

shades.gif

Wrong wrong wrong wrong, sorry TOM T. but this guy can use his '75 ecu.. if it is a 2.0 ecu, the 052 will run great!! plus it has the additional overrun shut off so you may save some fuel.. I ran one on my 74 2.0 for 2 years, it was installed my schnieder autohaus of santa barbra by joe schnieder himself, has been working on 914 and all porsches since before i could get a license to drive. also if you check the renlist ecu compatibility chart it proves goood there too, also if you really read that chart you will see it is an unfinished doc. which means he had not tested all compatibility.. just beware of using the 037 ecu as it needs certain ccompatible parts..

ECU / MPS Compatibility Table
This table is a work-in-process, I'll update it as I complete more characterizations of ECU / MPS combinations. The intent is to identify the compatibility of non-OEM combinations of ECU's and MPS's. OEM combinations are identified with an "OEM" prefix and are highlighted blue. Other possible MPS's and ECU's are highlighted in green or yellow for potential application (none are exactly the same), red if there is no other combination that will work.

http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm

I just saw an 74 ecu go with other fi equip for less than $100, I sold one for $100 and bought an NOS unit for $175 they are out there..

detoxcowboy
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 28 2010, 03:42 PM) *

Thanks. driving.gif

You may have missed the ecu/mps compatibily chart in your many reads.. http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetp...m#Compatibility
poorsche914
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 28 2010, 08:30 PM) *

I just saw an 74 ecu go with other fi equip for less than $100, I sold one for $100 and bought an NOS unit for $175 they are out there..

Was that the system on ebay? It went for $150 or so. I tried bidding on it but I was out for dinner and using a phone to bid on ebay just doesn't work so well. I hate that I lost out on that one as it had everything.
poorsche914
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 28 2010, 08:33 PM) *

You may have missed the ecu/mps compatibily chart in your many reads.. about 2/3 the way down the page.. should help you out perfectly

Yep, been over that many times. Maybe I didn't read it right those times but now that I look again, I see the 037 ECU is a green match with the 043 MPS. I have an 037 ECU so will give that one a try.
Thanks! piratenanner.gif
detoxcowboy
QUOTE(poorsche914 @ May 28 2010, 05:42 PM) *

QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 28 2010, 08:33 PM) *

You may have missed the ecu/mps compatibily chart in your many reads.. about 2/3 the way down the page.. should help you out perfectly

Yep, been over that many times. Maybe I didn't read it right those times but now that I look again, I see the 037 ECU is a green match with the 043 MPS. I have an 037 ECU so will give that one a try.
Thanks! piratenanner.gif

with the 037 ecu you would also need the ballast resistor for it to run better, I have used the 052 in my 74 stock and it ran really really well, also was read above installed by an senior experioenvced porsche mechanic, in other words tried and true.. 052 seriously will work well ..
poorsche914
QUOTE(detoxcowboy @ May 28 2010, 08:58 PM) *

with the 037 ecu you would also need the ballast resistor for it to run better, I have used the 052 in my 74 stock and it ran really really well, also was read above installed by an senior experioenvced porsche mechanic, in other words tried and true.. 052 seriously will work well ..

Oh, yeah... I remember reading that sad.gif
Bleyseng
The 044 and 052 ECU's need the 043 MPS not a 049 which is for a 1.7l. It will run but the WOT is off (too lean)...
The 052 ECU just has the over run fuel shut off circuit on it to make it different from the 74's 044.

Running the 73 037 ECU which fits both 1.7 and 2.0l btw on a 2.0L you need the 73 yr only model 037 MPS plus the 017 CHT with 270 ohm ballast. It will run with other combinations but crappy and lean...(hot).

Don't mix MPS's and ECU's as they are matched!
orange914
QUOTE(SLITS @ May 28 2010, 03:52 PM) *

agree.gif when switching my 73 (1.7 to 2.0 d-jet) i did... couldn't be better. the 052 ALSO has a deceleration fuel cut off curcuit helping emmisions and m.p.g.

if more than stock size/cam have the MPS dialed in still.

mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.