Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: WTB 017 Head Temp Sensor and correct Thermo Time Switch
914World.com > The 914 Forums > Classified Forums > FS/WTB: 914 Parts
avidfanjpl
I want to have one of each of these, because although they test out OK, I am wondering why when the car reaches temp, the car seems to want to stall.

When it is cold, and it has been 70ish around here during the day, it still idles a little high and maybe I am suffering unnecessarily? Then the idle goes to just about 1k but seems to run rich and does not like stoplights.

Take me out of my agony, someone!

Specifically -

This is an early 73 GA motor, so having the 022 906 041 A (Bosch 0 280 130 017) is key.

And the correct TTS is 311 906 161 C (Bosch 0 336 003 008) as Mr. Banders points out it should be 008 not 007. No wonder Ich habe angst!

I know they are both hard to find, but hey, why would I ask if I didn't need this place more than it needs me?

I wait in agony.

Thanks!

John
avidfanjpl
Tom_T
In search of the Holy Grail smilie_pokal.gif of 73 2.0's John!

Let me know if you find a source, as I've tried just about everywhere online/etc. for the proper 017 CHTs with no luck.

When you get back from vacation Jeff Bowlsby, think about making new/repro 017 CHTs - since we've so far had 2 dozen posts for folks looking for them since that first post about Pelican being out of them 6-8 weeks ago! .... & several folks have now verified that the 012 CHTs don't run right in the 73 2L EFI set-up.

John - re: this other rough running stuff, call me when you get back from your holiday weekend flag.gif & we'll talk more about what you want to do about local OC shops, as I have the original 2 & a couple of others which come to mind as possibilities.

What makes you think it's running rich when warm & idling at 1000?
... is exhaust black, smell fuel, or ??? confused24.gif
914Sixer
Porsche may still have them, that is where I got mine a couple years back.
detoxcowboy
thermo time switch is out there,"thermo time switch is a pretty fancy name for something you may never use, same goes for it what it operates , the Cold Start Valve". I bought a new one from "Samba" for the 914 but can also search under beetle or bus, the thermo time switch part# will end in a, b, or c, it really does not matter which one you buy..
the difference is minimal at approx degress Fareinheit of variation, one operates at 32 deg. F, the other 2 within that range say by 5 deg. difference/varitaion, basically it is for operating your 5th injector only (cold start valve), and then only when it is freezing or near freezing ambient tempatures outside. for example
I live in So. California and never has my NOS coldstart valve and NOS thermo time switch had a chance to operate, then again I wear shorts 11 months year, next winter I will be in Montana and then it will have a chance to function daily, and I will have pants on..

Just read your in Anaheim Hills, you will never ever be able to use your Thermo Time Switch there, New Or Used, you will have to drive to Big Bear and then on a cold night when it 32 deg. outside then it will be usefull..
avidfanjpl
Thanks, Detox!

Just trying to eliminate all things. the HTS is going to be a stinker to find.

Someone was going to build one. And today there are others looking for the 2.0L GA model, which is not to be found, so far.

Well, going to get Tom T to get me to a tuner with brains.

That may solve it!

THANKS!

J
914Sixer
I am checking with a supplier in Texas. He only has 012.
914Sixer
I found some 003 on Ebay.
avidfanjpl
914 sixer, are those the middle number? I need to go back and see the pbander article with the numbers but I am out of town for 2 more day.

Thanks!

J
Tom_T
I think those of us with the 73 2.0 is to get Jeff Bowlsby or somebody to make up a new & complete set-up, including the CHTS ("shits") sensor head, the spacer "fix" which Porsche eventually recco'd, resistor, & leads/connectors, etc. - then buy 2.

Detox/Joe - I disagree with your assessment of the TTS - as the "A" (IIRC is the one for our 73 2.0s) is a different resistance matched to the rest of the 73 D-jet EFI & ignition system (Bosch even went so far as to require matching the coil to the ECU maker - which of course was Bosch! dry.gif - so as to not void parts warranties). The wrong one goes wanky in the same way the 012 CHTS does when used in place of the proper 017. I know because I drove mine daily & into the snow here & elsewhere for skiing, & one time the mechanic pulled the wrong one by mistake & it ran too rich & stumbled/stalled in the cold on a ski trip to Mamouth, plus it ran too rich at altitude because it got "confused" at altitude & kicked in the cold start valve (5th injector). Once replaced, it ran fine thereafter.

IMHO - you're always best to stick with the spec'd parts.

Sixer - the latest PET doesn't even list the 017 CHTS in the last edition as of Nov. 08, so I think they're gone from dealer stock now, & apparently Pelican sold the last of theirs a few months back.

Anyone know of a secret warehouse with a stash of new/NOS 017 CHTS?? confused24.gif
... I'm in for 2, as will John I'm sure! biggrin.gif

Otherwise we're all in for the "Shits"!!!! shades.gif
914Sixer
Just downloaded the latest PET from Porsche Classic dated 01 2010. The only head temp sending unit listed is 311.906.041A (Bosch 0 280 130 012). Brad's article says the Bosch 0 280 130 003 (VW Type 3) to be used for richer cold start mixture.

Went back and looked in old paper factory parts book and found the following:

GA engines up to 0006765 uses 022.906.041A
GA engines after 0006766 uses 311.906.041A

Called my Porsche dealer just to double check on the 022.906.041A is NLA. Got a feeler out in Canada for some.
Tom_T
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Jun 1 2010, 06:22 AM) *

Just downloaded the latest PET from Porsche Classic dated 01 2010. The only head temp sending unit listed is 311.906.041A (Bosch 0 280 130 012). Brad's article says the Bosch 0 280 130 003 (VW Type 3) to be used for richer cold start mixture.

Went back and looked in old paper factory parts book and found the following:

GA engines up to 0006765 uses 022.906.041A
GA engines after 0006766 uses 311.906.041A

Called my Porsche dealer just to double check on the 022.906.041A is NLA. Got a feeler out in Canada for some.

Thanx Mark!

IIRC - GA006765 is just about the end of the 73 MY, or maybe in some early transition 74 MY 2.0s.

We need Bowlsby to jump in here when he gets back from vacation & commit to making new repro ones as I'd suggested above.

DANG! - now I have to download the newer 2010 PET & recheck in for the parts I'm checking with Kenn at Hennesey, where you told me about Mark! dry.gif headbang.gif
.... jeesh, there's a mess I've done already too! blink.gif
avidfanjpl
Hi Tom and Mark!

I am back in town, but what a grind. 1100 miles from Tustin to Chandler to Sedona and back to Chandler and finally tonight, Tustin.

WHAT WAS I THINKING? Never do that much again in 100 degree heat with few stops.

ANYHOW - I know I want 2 CHTS that are 017, and I would pay some bucks for 2 of them manufactured as new. They are supposed to be 1200 ohms when cold, correct, Tom?

Is there someone on here that MIGHT be able to build them? I wonder if we need a skilled person doing this? I just got my parts from Mikey914 and they look super!

I need to go looking for the GA engine number on my car, I KNOW.

I have been lazy. Since my car is such an early 2.0, I need to do this.

Tom, please tell me where to look. I am pretty tired from all the driving.

Traffic was stupid. Not terrible, but there are some real dumbasses on the 10 freeway on the weekends.

THANKS!

John
Tom_T
QUOTE(avidfanjpl @ Jun 1 2010, 09:01 PM) *

Hi Tom and Mark!

I am back in town, but what a grind. 1100 miles from Tustin to Chandler to Sedona and back to Chandler and finally tonight, Tustin.

WHAT WAS I THINKING? Never do that much again in 100 degree heat with few stops.

ANYHOW - I know I want 2 CHTS that are 017, and I would pay some bucks for 2 of them manufactured as new. They are supposed to be 1200 ohms when cold, correct, Tom?

Is there someone on here that MIGHT be able to build them? I wonder if we need a skilled person doing this? I just got my parts from Mikey914 and they look super!

I need to go looking for the GA engine number on my car, I KNOW.

I have been lazy. Since my car is such an early 2.0, I need to do this.

Tom, please tell me where to look. I am pretty tired from all the driving.

Traffic was stupid. Not terrible, but there are some real dumbasses on the 10 freeway on the weekends.

THANKS!

John

Hi John,

I don't know the tech specs on that, but Jeff Bowlsby builds the restored/new engine bay harnesses & the intermittent wiper one to convert your 914 to the 3 settings, so he should know how to put together a high quality repro 017 CHTS, with the resistor & spacer mods/adds recco'd by the factory.

Not to add to the work list, but getting a set of Jeff's harnesses may eliminate the possibility of of electrical gremlins from deteriorating insulation on them causing havoc in there, plus they'll be good fro another 30+ years. With your 914, I'd pop the extra dough for the factory style grey harness wrap instead of black).
Look here - http://bowlsby.net/914/WiringHarnesses/
... he also has a great 914 info website with a link to it on the above.

The GA case no. is in the "valley" in front of the air cleaner & oil breather/filler tower, behind the top of the aluminum fan shroud top - just to the left of the round cap for the timing peep-hole. You may need to disconnect one vacuum or fuel vapor return hose to see it clearly & to take a pic. PCNA will ask you for a pic in order to confirm GA engine for a 2.0 COA (they did me & told me it was standard policy).

Look here -

Click to view attachment

Here's my GA no. FYI -

Click to view attachment

It will be interesting to see how close your engine is to mine, being that they're close in production timing too. Plz post or PM/email the chassis no., VIN & GA nos. for comparison, because we can figure out the exact date of the chassis no. then compare the number of our 914s - your VIN is ...1102 IIRC & mine is ....1194.

Hey - there are 914S badges from a vendor on here! mueba.gif
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=107744
http://www.vintagetransrebuilds.com/transr...14s-emblem.aspx
You gonna get one to stick somewhere!? confused24.gif

Click to view attachment

popcorn[1].gif
avidfanjpl
Mark, I will be interested to hear back if you find any 017 sensors in Canada!

Tom, I am going down at lunchtime to look for the GA number!

THANKS!

John
914Sixer
No replies from Canada yet.
avidfanjpl
Thanks, Mark. Keep me posted if any show up.

Unless I assume room temperature, I will always want at least 1 017 sensors!

Tom, I know you don't have any, and I have to pore over all the parts I have pulled in my effort to update the car to find the 017.

I have to install new wires, as I knew I had a bad one, and it decided tonight to start missing, but I know it is a bad wire.

Got new ones in the bosch box from Christmas.

THANKS!

John
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.